Tsw: Thornaby Thrash

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, May 7, 2019.

1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

MSB was announced on February 14th and it was released on February 21st on PC. I’m going to guess it will be released in a week or two!

2. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I reckon it will be announced on Thursday the 9th and then have a count down on twitter for a week and then released the 16th Thursday.

3. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Considering that it says this at the end of the article,
    There will probably be a few more articles released before the actual release of the route, so I would say 3-4 weeks until release. Maybe this was announced early due to the leaked game files to stop people from speculating too much about what would be included. There has already been disappointment from some about the lack of a Pacer in this DLC, which would only have been worse if the announcement was later.

• Like Like x 2
  4. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

I would hope that in future, the folks who can't wait to dig into file names to reveal upcoming DLC can maybe keep it to themselves or at least head their threads with [SPOILERS] or something. That way, the surprise isn't ruined for everyone else, and the pointless speculation can be contained.

Also, Pacers can't be included until cab sway is implemented, or that would just look wrong...:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes I noticed that too, and his profile is restricted. He was doing it on other threads, particular the thread about the video "review" of the MSB route (makes you wonder). I notice he has upvoted some negative (about TSW/DTG) comments! Probably a troll to scared to actually post on the forum.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Freddele

Freddele Member

Hello

I hope that with this route, we will reconnect with the basics of TSW, namely, put machines back into service, do endless maneuvers. Only 27 miles, but if there is a lot of hitch, uncoupling, exit Thornbay deposit. This would be a good revenge for TSW.

Freddy

• Like Like x 2
  7. theorganist

I would imagine (I may be wrong) that with service mode there will be a complete days duties for the 08 shunter, so for example you can "book on" in the morning and shunt/do trip work all day.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Wolfy

Wolfy Active Member

I was hoping for a nice long route, like WCML North or WCML over Shap in TS20xx.

27 miles just doesn't do it for me, and shunting random wagons around a yard all day is going to send me to sleep.

I seriously hope the next generation Playstation and Xbox can handle longer routes, because console restrictions are holding TSW back for everybody right now....

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

It's not console restrictions, it's just the time it takes to make these. This has been gone over in the past. Besides, longer routes have already been in the game. Not that they shouldn't put more time into making these sometimes, but there's no need to blame consoles for this one.

Remember, only a section of the route is ever loaded at one time, so just about any hardware should theoretically be able to handle any length of route- it's the detail on that route that causes problems sometimes. This is probably why we got downgraded trees in MSB, for example.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. raildan

Yeah, sounds likely. After all, they announced it on Tuesday instead of Thursday, which is when routes are usually announced.

11. theorganist

Not everyone likes sitting at their PC for two hours driving a long distance express! I don't mind it occasionally but it isn't always that interesting.

Personally a shorter route with more to do and more detail can be preferable, a stopping service takes getting on for an hour which for me is enough. Many people like shunting and pottering around a yard.

As has been stated several times it is not consoles which are restricting the length of routes and I would imagine in time we will see longer routes.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Its ok, but will be better once the editor is made available. ;)

13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

When you can spend two hours going round various websites or spending hundreds on dependencies only to have the scenarios not work anyway... That was my last weekend and several before that

• Like Like x 2
  14. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

For me an hour to hour long service is enough for me, im quite happy with even a 30 minute route, means i can keep switching services and routes to keep my interest. The more dlc that are added the more i want to and do play, so would rather more frequent shorter routes than stupidly long ones

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it. Hopefully some fly shunting scenarios are included.

Personally, I like the dated routes but the 80s was my era. The modern routes are fine, but they date quickly. Might as well freeze time and be done with it. Less licensing issues to deal with too for older time settings.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Cheesypuff2

oooo fly shunting yes!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rail Master

Rail Master Active Member

Stats already available on SteamDB.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cheesypuff2

at least one other dlc on the way according to SteamDB

• Like Like x 1
  19. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Whats steam DB?

20. theorganist

I too prefer BR period routes. However I do hope the next British route is more modern as that will appease some of those disappointed in having two BR period routes in a row (a luxury that never happened in TS1). I just like driving trains anyway so whether it is a class 45 and class 377 I will still enjoy it, just prefer the former. Hopefully one day steam will be added to the mix, I look forward to the day when I can load up TSW and choose between driving a steam engine in the 50's, a diesel in the 80's, pottering along a preserved railway and maybe an electric in the 20 somethings!

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Cheesypuff2

Steam Database. It provides a kind of background of player stats, achievements etc but also shows when stuff gets uploaded in preperation for release.

Heres a link to the DLC page as you can see they are all named apart from two. this says two new dlcs are coming one of which we know is Tees valley : https://steamdb.info/search/?a=app&q=train+sim+world

You can also look at the new achievements for the dlcs

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Thanks ill have a look now, i wonder what this second new dlc could be? The US route maybe?

23. theorganist

I would say more likely the NTP freight add-on. No details of the next USA route have been revealed yet so I imagine it may be a couple of months away. I don't know how long these slots are allocated before release though so I may be talking out of my hat!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

Well, I'm clearly getting old in terms of being an enthusiast, when I read people saying "I wanted a better passenger train, like a pacer."

That sentence is a contradiction in terms of its own beginning.

• Like Like x 8
  25. Cheesypuff2

the slot which is the Tees valley was added 28 days ago and the other slot was added 21 days ago so id say whatever it is is close. There are also 5 placeholder slots (ie not for a specific dlc) as well so looks like there some good stuff in the pipeline

• Like Like x 2
  26. raildan

Lol... not "better," per se, but more unique to drive.

27. theorganist

Yes give me a rattly class 101 any-day. Hopefully we will see a Pacer in the future though, I hated them in the day for replacing my beloved first generation DMU's and local hauled services but they seem likeable now, especially as their days are numbered. I haven't actually yet rode on one, I haven't got long to do something about that!

28. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

I prefer historic routes too and I'd just like to see a healthy mix of modern and historic stuff so noone feels left out.

• Like Like x 4
  29. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

Looking forward to people not spoiling future content surprises for a change...

30. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

Well the era it's in wasn't spoiled though. Blame DTG for forgetting the mention of it in the files :D

• Like Like x 1
  31. raildan

It's not like we're ever right about these things, lol.

I mean, we didn't think this route was going to be next until the hint came out, which directly mentioned "SLB 1989." And even then everyone thought there would be a pacer.

And if you recall MSB, that came out of nowhere. No mention in the files of that one at all.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Cheesypuff2

what am i ruining? all i can tell you from Steam Database is that more dlc is coming which we all knew anyway, i have no idea what it may be

• Like Like x 2
  33. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

You're not missing much. I've always despised them. However, I accept they were a reality and their low cost probably saved a few lines from closing. Still struggling to believe that 101s were still in service on the line in 1989. Might have to dig out the the Platform 5s.

• Like Like x 1
  34. theorganist

I don't think they were in 1989 or would have been few in numbers as Heaton had lost most of it's first generation units by then, mostly for class 142 and 143 Pacers, they may have had some 156's too. They still had some 108 power trailers (including a celebrity green one) which were mainly used on the Cumbrian coast line (I think). I think a year earlier in 1988 they still had some 101's and some odd units made up of class 118 and 119's from the south west so unless you were being really exact with the year I don't suppose it matters too much. Maybe (but I doubt it) DTG will make a class 108 set as that would be suitable and also used at both ends of NTP. I can see us having several different loco's in the future but still only one class of DMU as they always get pushed to one side. The reality is that there were probably nearly as many different classes of DMU running in the north as there were loco types. A class 110 would be lovely DTG if you are reading this!

• Like Like x 2
  35. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Not all that appears to be undergoing downgrades, the screen cap of Darlington is what i would expect from TS2014, the left hand side of the station is .... not great to be nice about it...eh seems while the loco DLC gets better and better the routes are going backwards in terms of detail each time.

36. raildan

I can see a few problems with Darlington, now that you mention it, but the other pictures look completely fine to me?

Every route is missing something, it seems, but overall I don't think they're going down in quality. It looks more like DTG is continually trying to figure out where they can get away with skipping some extra detail and still haven't found it... overall there's still plenty of detail though.

37. matthewbguilford

8E4A441B-4E70-43A5-83D8-3BDF0624D9CB.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  38. theorganist

It is still work in progress don't forget!

39. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

40. raildan

Hmm... also "Doing the Right Thing." I had to look up "The Boro Master" and apparently "Boro" is a local name for Middlesborough... these are much more creative achievement names than usual. Perhaps there are some neat scenarios on this one, and I also suspect there's a local to the area on the dev team somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  41. theorganist

Isn't Derek Siddle from that area, he was the builder of the Weardale route for TS1 which of course also features Darlington and lines more the the west? I assume he is still involved at DTG!

• Like Like x 4
  42. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Derek Siddle is the head of content at DTG, so I'm sure he would have had some input for this.

• Like Like x 3
  43. raildan

You're probably right, I never got the route but I've heard he put a lot of heart into it. This explains the choice of route a lot, and I'd say it's a very good sign that the route is probably high quality. This would also possibly explain the 101 vs. 143 and the time period...

44. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Well who knows maybe DTG included an easter egg where you have to deliver ice cream by an ice cream truck

• Like Like x 1
  45. LTEcactus

LTEcactus Active Member

What do you mean? The 101s are incorrect for the time period, having been all but replaced by 142s and 143s in 1989

• Like Like x 1
  46. raildan

I mean they're more correct towards his personal favorite time period of a few years earlier, so there may have been some bias in the decision to just reuse them.

47. matthewbguilford

3E8CB0FD-6058-41FB-80DF-C03B278EF321.jpeg

48. raildan

BR green? Semaphores? That doesn't look like 1989 to me, buddy, sorry...

• Like Like x 1
  49. matthewbguilford

97BCD159-C31D-44FA-84CB-E1E9C15FB124.jpeg
    I see the BR green doesn’t fit. where this was what you would more likely see around that time?

• Like Like x 3
  50. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

eaglescliffe101.jpg Class 101 at Eaglescliffe, 3 Mar. 1989. The 101s wouldn't have been unheard of in the area at the time, but a Pacer would be a bit more fitting. (Not my picture - all credit goes to Graeme Phillips on Flickr.)
    Heaton TMD's 101s were out of service by November of 1989, but most of the units stayed until some time in 1990 when they were cut up.

• Like Like x 4