Lirr Scenario Timing Completely Impossible With Atc Enabled

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by arthasmenethil, May 4, 2019.

1. arthasmenethil

arthasmenethil New Member

As the title suggests, the scenario time tables in the LIRR DLC are completely broken and impossible to keep, if you play with the ATC enabled (which you should, imo). It seems like the time tables were designed around playing with ATC off -- unlike on many other routes such as Northeast corridor or on Rapid transit.

For example, in the LIRR scenario "Race Day Run" your first task is to go from Jamaica to Floral Park. With ATC on, you get a red 15mph restricting cab signal pulling out of Jamaica station and going over multiple crossovers (this is correct with respect to real life) but the HUD speed limit says 35mph which is the general MAS for approach to JAY interlocking. The 15mph restricting cab signal seems to continue for an inappropriately long time even after clearing the crossover signals and even as the track MAS increase to 35 and then 60mph on the HUD (the HUD now appropriately representing real life). The ATC does not give you the appropriate (clear) signal until you actually reach the exit limits of the entire interlocking. Because of this, you are now behind about a minute or more on the time table.

The problem only gets worse. As you approach the first station (Floral Park) at normal speed, the MAS slows from 80mph to 60mph and then from 60mph it will eventually drop to 35mph on the HUD just before the station. However, after you make the first deceleration to 60mph/MAS approaching Floral Park station, the ATC suddenly gives you a 15mph cab speed for an upcoming track change. Without ATC on, this track change would've been taken at MAS (35mph, based on the distance). I'm not as familiar with the real life Hempstead LIRR line to know for sure if that is an appropriate cab signal but many other LIRR lines would take that track change at medium speed, not slow speed because it is not an interlocking. The point is, if I follow ATC as instructed, the fastest I can arrive to Floral Park is at ~08:08:30 or so when the schedule says arrive at 08:07:00.

Worse still, you're still stuck with that 15mph slow speed cab signal even after clearing the track change (through the entire Floral Park station) and it PERSISTS for a good 500-1000yds after pulling out of the station to move on to the next stop (Stewart Manor) before improving to track MAS of 60mph. The fastest I could arrive to Stewart Manor was about 08:11:15 when the schedule says to arrive at 08:10:00.

I immediately paused the game to make this post because i noticed similar timing problems in the previous LIRR scenarios when playing with ATC on, which is very disappointing. As I keep playing the rest of the scenarios, I'm sure I'll notice more ATC discrepancies.

Anyone else notice this? Especially those who are familiar with the real life route?

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I just don’t worry about the scheduled arrival times , I just make the best times based on what ATC allows me to do as would a driver in real life. A lot less stress :).....

3. arthasmenethil

Agreed, hence why I use ATC because it (usually) helps with the realism aspect but the immersion is broken when you are constantly "late" to stations and getting docked points for following the "rules." Also, I'm not an engineer or anything but I find it strange that a cab signal would go from a 60-80mph clear aspect to a 15mph slow clear or slow approach requiring me to slam the brakes to full service application in order to avoid a penalty. From my reading of Northeast Corridor signals which the LIRR follows, typically one would expect to receive a approach slow or approach medium signal first so that you've already begun the braking process at such a high speed. This is not the only time in the scenario that happens, and it happens in other scenarios too strangely.

I frequently ride the LIRR and the best example of how this should work (and how the game properly emulates it) is when in the corridor between Jamaica and Woodside -- typically trains with a clear signal on the express track get up to 70+ MPH (I think 80 is technically the MAS but in practice they don't typically go above 70) especially near Forest Hills. When approaching Woodside going westbound, especially if that train is scheduled to stop there, the speed is gradually stepped down using an approach medium signal. As a rider, I already feel a bit of a jolt when the engineer hits the brakes to get down to 45 from 70 but it's not uncomfortable. I can't imagine what it would be like slamming full application at that speed to get to 15mph so suddenly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

Race day is still broken how do I fix the red light issue at Florer park?

5. arthasmenethil

If it's the same signal I'm thinking about I think requesting to pass at danger worked for me.