Class 37 Wheel Slip

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by underwaterdick, May 30, 2019.

1. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

I have been playing some of the heavy class 37 services and find that if I get wheel slip pulling away I have to quit driving. (I stopped at a station just to put a route map up)

The wheel slip indicator is still displayed on the HUD and the throttle cannot be applied.

Nothing I have tried so far seems to allow me to continue driving, has anyone else had this and did you manage to get it moving?

I want to check it isn't something I am doing wrong before raising a ticket.

I have tried applying full brakes, stopping and starting the engine, changing cab ends, getting in a different train at the station... Nothing gets rid of this wheel slip.

This has happened two or three times now.

*To be clear, and save repeating myself this isn't a question of how to AVOID wheel slip, but does anyone have any issues AFTER wheel slip*

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

Just a question. When starting off, do you go about 25% throttle?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Here is a suggestion that I do and it works for me. After releasing the brakes turn the throttle to on and let the amp meter come up then would apply no more the 10% throttle to start moving then slowly increase as needed.

• Like Like x 3
  4. underwaterdick

Thank you for that advice, that is exactly the method I use. Let the ammeter climb and settle before increasing throttle.

Sadly this doesn't solve the issue of wheel slip breaking the service.
    It just reduces the likelihood of getting wheel slip.

• Like Like x 1
  5. underwaterdick

No, I go to about 13% and let the Amps drop before throttling up to 20-28%...
    I can avoid getting wheelspin 90% of the time, the issue has been when stopping in stations to collect collectibles I have had issues with wheel slip breaking the service. Sometimes these stations are on an incline that the Loco doesn't seem to like.

I guess I will stick to collectible hunting in the Class 101!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

if i get wheelslip i just ease off the throttle no need for using the brakes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. underwaterdick

So you don't have an issue if the wheel slip indicator staying on the display and the throttle being inactive?
    Even when the throttle is set to off (no brakes having been applied) the wheel slip indicator stays there and I cannot apply any more throttle.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dave Mel

no i dont have any issues with the wheelslip. i just throttle back and wait for the red zig zag lines to go off the apply some more throttle

• Like Like x 2
  9. underwaterdick

Cheers, that is what I was wondering.
    My 'red zig zags' refuse to go away in the class 37! Even with the engine off and full brakes applied.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rhysdabeast0011

rhysdabeast0011 Member

Try putting the throttle to ON and add 5% power and let it get to 4-5 mph then start adding more power in stages

• Like Like x 1
  11. underwaterdick

It doesn't go to on though. One the wheels slip it just refuses to do anything.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dave Mel

you could try putting sand down on the track.

• Like Like x 3
  13. underwaterdick

Yep, have alredy tried that, holding the sander button down doesnt help.
    Thanks for the suggestion though!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dave Mel

you might have to put a ticket in with some photos or video to show them your problem

• Like Like x 3
  15. underwaterdick

That is the plan!
    Just wanted to find out if it was something that I was missing before saying it was a bug.
    Doesn't look like it so far.

• Like Like x 1
  16. underwaterdick

Bug report submitted in a support ticket!
    I can replicate this any time I like now, so took a picture of the wheel slip indicator visible despite the brakes being set, handbrake on, reverser off, master key off, throttle off and speedometer showing 0mph.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

So, did you get a response from your ticket?

I experienced this issue myself recently with the Class 40 hauling freight. The wheel slip light was on and the throttle would do nothing. I tried resetting everything like you did and that made no difference while that dreaded wheelslip light was on. However, purely by accident I found a way out of it. I had all the brakes released and then after a while the train started to roll backwards (down the incline). At that point the wheelslip light turned off and I was able to use the throttle again like normal. By giving it a little bit of throttle at a time I could stop it from going backwards and then start going forwards. As I've never been a real train driver I have no idea if this is real life behaviour or just particular to TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  18. underwaterdick

The response to my ticket was that "they could not reproduce the problem" and it was probably my driving.

I know for a fact it wasn't my driving, because I linked it to the headlight switch on the cab.
    With headlights on, it would go into the unstoppable slip, when turned off I would pull away fine.

This only happened when setting up to pull away. Was a consistent 100% failure rate if I had that switch to On and a 100% success rate if off. No coincidence if you ask me.

Seeing as wheel slip has never been a problem for me outside of this situation.

Oh, and they couldn't explain how in the screenshot, the brakes were on, throttle off and engine off yet still spinning... Clearly I wasn't trying to pull away but was stuck spinning with the engine off and traction motors not loaded.

19. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Interesting, as I can replicate the issue very easily. Do you have the heavy freight pack for NTP? If so, start the scenario where you're driving a Class 40 in the snow (I forget the name of it). Stop the train and induce wheelspin by giving it too much throttle. Put the brakes on when the wheelslip light is on so you're not rolling. Now try to reset your train or get it going. Nothing you do will get the throttle to produce any power.

However, if you release all brakes and wait until the train rolls, the wheelslip light will go off and the throttle will work again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi underwaterdick,

Thanks for raising this, I'd like to look into this in greater detail. Could you share your ticket number with me please?

Best, Steve

21. underwaterdick

Thank you for your Message, I hope it didn't come off as rude, I wasn't complaining about the resolution to my ticket.

Of course, the ticket number is NBR-357-95742

I have not tried to replicate this situation recently, but can do in the next few days. Just on the off chance that an update/alteration to something else has fixed this.

I did however have some poor driving induced wheel slip yesterday which would not clear until I tried the method another user described above. - this wheel slip was at the end of my journey where I stopped short and was over zealous pulling away, I don't think it was a game issue.

22. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Thanks underwaterdick,

Having reviewed your ticket, there are some lessons we can learn from this. The response you received was below what we would consider to be adequate and can only apologise for the poor support you've received in this instance.

Irrespective of how you drive, you should not end up in a situation where the only option is to exit and start again except in specific situations that we have coded (i.e. passing a signal at danger). To progress this, it would be really helpful if you could provide us with a short video detailing what you're seeing with the wheelslip. In particular, we're interested in seeing how you were able to introduce the critical wheelslip and the final situation where you are forced to exit.

You can either submit a new ticket with the file attached (but please DM me with the ticket number so I can pick it up) or upload the file to a file sharing site and DM me the details. I can then take it forward for you.

Best, Steve

23. underwaterdick

Thank you Steve,

I wouldn't call it "poor support", so don't worry too much about the response to the original ticket too much. Its only that I was convinced that I'm not going mad.

I will look at somehow recording it and sending it to you, most likely through a new ticket. Once this is done, I will send you the ticket number.

Thank you for your response, and for looking into this.