PlayStation This Game Worth Getting?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ImmortalSoul83, Jun 1, 2019.

1. ImmortalSoul83

ImmortalSoul83 Active Member

I'm thinking about getting this game this coming Monday.. But I want to know like how many type of trains is in this game. What locations you can drive too and whats the purpose of this game. Do you pick up passengers or just drive location to location in a set amount of time? Is there a career/story mode? Whats the campaign like if there is any? Thank you for any feedback on this.

2. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

It's a train simulator. Not a life simulator with a background story. The only story mode is the services and scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ImmortalSoul83

Well I understand that.. If you played the game.. The question is, is it worth getting or is the game lacking? does it get boring fast?

4. Rail Master

Rail Master Active Member

PS5 is coming... On PS4 you only have 30 fps or less for this game, so it’s boring on PS4. This game worths with one or two route DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ImmortalSoul83

Thank you.. I was wondering about that. Thats all I wanted to know.

6. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

The game itself includes three routes with 6 drivable trains in total (7 trains in deluxe edition).
    Great Western Express
    This route runs for London Paddington to Reading which is about 36 miles or 58 kilometers.
    There are three trains included with this route. Class 43 DMU also known as HST, Class 166 DMU and Class 66 freight loco.

Rapid Transit
    This route runs from Dassau through Liepzig down to Markkleeberg which is about 71 kilometers or 44 miles.
    Only BR 1442 is included with this route.

Northeast corridor: New York
    This route runs from Newark airport to New Rochelle with a branch to the Fresh Point junction with total length of about 32 miles or 52 kilometers.
    It includes the Amtrak ACS-64 locomotive and the GP38-2 freight loco.
    If you get the Deluxe edition, you will also get the GP40-2 that can be used there.

There are a couple of scenarios included with each route. These scenarios are mostly about handling unusual situations (for example the "Drag line" scenario on the Great Western Express route where you have to tow a broken HST back to depot for repairs).

The more you treat it as a sim, the better it gets. If you just set throttle to it's maximum and ignore speed limits, it gets boring quite quickly. If you drive realistically with all the safety systems and restrictions, your train will keep you busy and the game becomes very enjoyable.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

If you have an interest in trains, mechanisms or want to learn how things work. Get this.
    Theres a real time service mode. So you can perform the actions of a driver throughout a working day. There are ready programmed scenarios that come with every route/loco.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Big Papi34

The game is quite relaxing and to a point complex. Though if you get it be mindful of the few bugs and glitches. With the safety systems on the trains I would suggest start out with them off and gradually get used to the engine until you feel like you can handle them. Another question is are you interested in trains or just getting the game for fun. If you're a British person and like British trains I would suggest buy the main games then the British dlc.

9. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Probably a matter of opinion. A few of us play it on PS4 and don’t find it boring at all. Frame rates don’t make it boring (do they?) and the gameplay is the same on every platform so not sure I understand

• Like Like x 3
  10. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

Well said!
    A slight stutter on the frame occasionally and a lower frame rate than you would like make little odds on the playability of the game.
    I play Train Simulator on the PC and I have to have it toned right down for my machine.

To be able to put a disc in my console, fire it up quickly and just play the game as it was built to play is amazing. I am very grateful to have a simulator game on the PS4, especially one as good aa train simulator where constant efforts from DTG go into improving the game. - and despite what some may have you believe, they are pretty good at fixing bugs that people find, although there are a couple still causing issues.

If you don't like the idea of driving a train to strict timetable and following signalling, you won't enjoy it.
    If that appeals, it's a great game!

• Like Like x 6
  11. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

If you want an authentic simulation, TSW is currently the best. Sure there are some bugs and something could be better. About that things you can read a lot in this forum.

But you can go inside the locos and the the passenger cars. You can use the train safety systems like in real. You can stear the trains like in real.

And with this game I learned a lot about train driving.

12. hightower

hightower Guest

I can’t comment on the PS4 as I play it on the PC but on the whole I love it. Be aware, like it or not, that it’s a work in progress. That said, it is showing demonstrable improvements with each DLC and the customer interaction from the developers that are able shows a clear willingness to listen. It feels like there’s been a step change this year in the quantity and quality of the releases. There’s constantly something new in the pipeline which is great to see.

It isn’t perfect, and there are problems but when it’s right it can be really sublime. Take the chance, if you have any interest in trains, engineering and so on you won’t regret it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ImmortalSoul83

frame rate isn't a problem to me. or gameplay.. just trying to figure if the game is worth the money?

14. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Has been for me, though I wish discounts were consistent across the board but I won’t go there for fear of getting a Sony/Microsoft lecture

15. Tomas9970

It was worth it for me (bought it for 30 euros). I might be a bit biased because of the mod support on PC. Also driving on the base game routes is not as entertaining as driving on a route that you have picked yourself (bought as a DLC).
    I have played about 170 hours with base package, West Somerset Railway and Class 33.

16. ImmortalSoul83

Ok. I just don't want to buy DLC just to enjoy the game. I like driving games cause of the scenery but also if theres light a career mode too. It be nice if they added something like that. Like your hauling fright and stuff from location to location doing jobs for companies. That would be interesting. Like them truck driving games.

17. Big Papi34

The career mode you described is basically the whole game. That's the point of a simulator. You haul freight or passengers (depending on the route) for that company.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ImmortalSoul83

Ahh nice, thats what I was wondering.. I notice on youtube videos that some of the routes can take as long as 2hrs. This true..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Big Papi34

Depends. I think the longest would be 1 hour on Northeast Corridor and that's switching cars. Heavy Haul might have 2 hour scenarios but it's not on consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  20. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

WSR, NTP and RT is other 1 hour. RSN, MSB, GWE, TVL is around one hour. Some shunting services on NEC are around 2 hours.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Tomas9970

One trip on WSR takes about 90 minutes if you are driving a full stop service.
    20181124180838_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  22. Big Papi34

Oops forgot WSR. Passenger services probably take the most on any maps. My bad.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Think what you're after is called service mode in the game. You can drive 1 service. Stick around and drive another. So If you were inclined. You could stay with the same train for a whole day.

• Like Like x 2
  24. ImmortalSoul83

There a leveling system, do you earn points or rewards.

25. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Yes, not in terms of difficulty. You dictate that yourself. By increasing the different system you activate or by the help you have on displayed on screen.
    Points are accumulated, levels, trophies, all in.

• Like Like x 3
  26. ImmortalSoul83

I'm going to hold off with this one. I will get it eventually, I'm just more focus on fish sim world. I bought that one lake that is from Spain, Waiting until July for this big world tour update.. just excited for this.. A real career mode in this game finally.