London Paddington To Penzance

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by deancalder15, Jun 15, 2019.

1. deancalder15

deancalder15 Active Member

From London Paddington to Penzance route.
    Class 57 GWR Livery Locomotive haul Sleeper and passenger services.
    Class 150 and Class 156 GWR livery DMU passenger services formation 2, 4 or 6 carriages.
    Class 220 and 221 Voyager passenger services formation 4, 5, 8, 9 or 10 carriages.
    Class 60 and 66 various freight only.
    HST GWR.

• Like Like x 8
  2. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

Too long. End of.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Dogbert

Dogbert New Member

Paddington - Penzance, BR era.

4. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

I'll settle for Plymouth to Penzance!

• Like Like x 1
  5. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

That would be a nice route but must be in the same time setting as GWR. No more BR era locos... for the moment.

6. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

That would be nice and the game could be capable of it with 64 bit. But thanks to DTG's new marketing scheme of only doing 30-40 mile routes for the same high prices, we can't have nice things.

7. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Too Long is a poor excuse, when Fernbus you can drive from 1 end of Germany, soon through to France?????????????????????????????????????????

No not too long, probably limitations on consoles for such long routes. (I'm guessing) and this isnt a dig

8. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

Train Sim World is on a 1:1 scale whereas Fernbus is on a 1:10 scale. This means that all distances in Fernbus are 10x shorter than in Train Sim World. For instance, Great Western Express, which is a distance of 36 miles in Train Sim World, would be condensed to 3.6 miles using the same scale as Fernbus. That is how Fernbus manages to let you drive from 1 end of Germany to the other. This is something that Train Sim World cannot do, meaning you can only travel shorter real distances.

London to Penzance would be a massive undertaking as it is 326 miles. The routes which DTG currently makes (generally 30-45 miles long) take months to create, if not over a year. This means that it would take years to build a London to Penzance route, making it completely infeasible for DTG to create.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Yes and TML are creating the bus which is 1:1 scale and it's the majority of Berlin, East to the Zoo and on to Tegel Airport. So if TS2019 can do it, albeit it's not 100% since the 64bit upgrade. I am sure UE4 can do it, we're at a level now where game engines should be beyond capable, thousands of pounds are spent investing and improving PC performance and with 4K gaming for PS5, things like this are old fashioned thinking as we did it with MSTS, FS and TS2019.

Once the community has an editor we'll soon see, so I am hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

It’s also about development time. Matt said on a stream that it would take 18 months to create London to Edinburgh if everyone worked on it meaning no other releases for any other country.

• Like Like x 1
  11. InspectorTiger

And it would cost £150, which would provoke howls of fury.

12. deancalder15

deancalder15 Active Member

When release date From London to Edinburgh?

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Love how quickly people go from "You can drive the whole of Germany" to "You can drive from one side of Berlin to the other..."

Just done some digging... Germany is a thousand miles tall (Flensburg to Konstanz) and 700 wide at the widest point (Millen, Selfkant to Gorlitz) to at 1:10 scale that's equivalent to 100 miles (London to Bournemouth) and 75 miles (London to Portsmouth)

That's still impressive IF the level of detail is the same as in TSW where you can almost compare photographs to what's in game with regards to junctions, structures, even the materials used to make the platforms.

14. Zac031

Zac031 New Member

Good idea, I do see where people are coming from with the size of the route etc having an effect on the game capacity.. possibly split scenarios like Paddington - Bristol, Bristol - Taunton, Taunton - Penzance, Would definitely recommend something like that

15. InspectorTiger

It's been said elsewhere, but there's no technical limit on the size of routes in TSW. The engine only loads the tiles next to you, so a 1000-mile route would be just as performant as a 30-mile one.

The limitation on route length is the price the market will bear for DLC, and the amount of route building time that will pay for (minus licensing fees and so on), at the level of detail expected for TSW routes. A route that crossed hundreds of miles of featureless desert would have a pretty low build cost per mile; dense urban environments, correspondingly higher.

16. ARuscoe

This is true from what I've seen an heard but I don't know if TSW has the same issue as TSx in that AI consists ALL load when the scenario does rather than when the local map tile loads underneath them, so although you can have a 1000 mile route if you want it properly populated you end up with a hell of a lot of used memory to load up the hundreds of trains that populate that route
    I know in TSx that you can spawn units at portals, and don't know if TSW works similarly, so there could be a limitation, if not on the actual map length

17. lDanny Holand

lDanny Holand Active Member

Great idea but it won't happen too long of a route

18. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Certainly the Tamar Bridge could be an epic section of track.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

As above its likely too long for DTG and a candidate for 3rd party editor. That said if DTG were to make this in stages. Id pay a pre order.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

21. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Me too. I never pre order but in this case its a beautiful location on the only railway line in and out of Cornwall. With Plymouth just up the road with its busy station and several sleepy stations going into Cornwall theres lots of variation potential. Where do I sign.. ;)

22. ARuscoe

I checked out lines out of PNZ this morning and wondered about Plymouth. You say "just up the road" but it's almost 80 miles by train!
    http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P00018/2019/08/23/advanced shows 79 miles 38 chains
    If that link is down or out of date, go to RTT and find the next Penzance - Plymouth train

23. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Not from the Tamar Bridge. The bridge is on the outskirts of Plymouth. Not quite sure where your 80miles comes from ;p
    My quote you are using was directed at inspector tiger further up in the thread and if you reread the associated posts you will see a wiki link to the Tamar Bridge and another post by someone else referencing building the route in sections.
    In that context the quote to which you refer begins to make more sense to you perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  24. InspectorTiger

As a Cornishman, and having been up and down that line all my life, I can confirm that Brunel's bridge, and the vertiginous river crossing, invariably brings a hush to the carriage as everybody scrambles to get a look. It's spectacular. Almost worth going to the mainland for, indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I used to live between Truro and Falmouth! Like you Ive been across that bridge many times- alongside the coastal stretch by Dawlish one of the highlights of the journey!

26. ARuscoe

Ah right, you didn't quote that part.

And I posted where I got 80 miles from

27. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Dont take one post in isolation. But if its that important to you.. ;)

28. ARuscoe

If you don't you end up causing confusion. People generally are responding to what they quote. For instance you are quoting me directly and responding to that, wouldn't make sense if you quoted that line but responded to one from three days ago...

29. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I think the only person confused here is you. Sorry about that. Ill try to be clearer in the future. ;)

30. ARuscoe

Only person who responded so don't know why you would think that. Anyway... yes, the bridge is near that city so that's your intention clear

31. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Great! Im glad we got that cleared up :)

32. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Exeter to Plymouth (maybe including the Paignton branch) would be nice to have as well

• Like Like x 1
  33. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Yes, the section on the coast is stunning and even the Taunton stretch is really pretty. Its one of my favorites in TS2019. Theres so many great possibilities with the Westcountry.