Tsw: The “tortoise And The Hare”

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Jun 20, 2019.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Written by: Gary Dolzall

Amtrak’s sure-of-foot SW1000R switcher and racehorse-fast Cab Car now come to Train Sim World in one new Add-On!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 5
  2. TrainHorn22

TrainHorn22 Active Member

Really, Metroliner Services are short in miles, They Run from New York Penn to Newark Penn but a Scenario ran a Metroliner from Sunnyside to Newark International Airport. SW1000R services are sham too as they have 4 services available, Not worth it Dovetail, You've failed to entertain your TSW fans. Such Shame.

• Like Like x 8
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'd really much prefer a full list of the tutorials, scenarios, and services included with this latest DLC to a simplistic gripe.

4. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

I'd love to get this at some point, but not before ATC/ACES has been fixed on the route and is implemented in the cab car.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

The gripes are understandable, but the engines themselves are modeled very nicely.

The goat looks like the real deal - im not in love with its horn though.

The cabcars' 'cockpit' is nicely modeled as well and thanks to Kojo62 i cant help but think of it other than the inside of a tie-fighter :D

When the inevitable sale comes around i recommend picking them up

• Like Like x 3
  6. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Just 4 services for the switcher? Must be a late April Fools Joke? DTG having a good laugh right now at the office?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Schnauzahpowahz

Same with gronk services on TVL, not many

Although the goat services are very long

• Like Like x 1
  8. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I got much hate in the original thread when I said this dlc would be disappointing to American folks. Looks like I was wrong. It's getting hate from everybody. The DTG fanboys can downvote me, but what I say is true. DTG rush out sloppy dlc and then get mad when they have to fix it over and over.

• Like Like x 3
  9. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Again Dovetail extend the New Jersey Part to Trenton and The New Rochell part to New Haven

• Like Like x 1
  10. Big Papi34

Or make a entirely new route that is fixed correctly and has heavy freight and nice fast passenger runs. Make everyone happy.

• Like Like x 2
  11. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

The title of this thread abit missleading...the hare may be faster then the tortice but not in this case,the hare is a unpowered cab unit and the tortice is powered so the tortice will win this round.

12. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Have the bugs been fixed in the ATC/ACSES?

• Like Like x 1
  13. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

nope

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Yes this DLC is really bad, and the route is still so buggy. It should be for free, but 13,99€ is awful.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Maybe ATC/ACSES isn’t working because they are still working on signing fixes. Just a guess.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I am afraid I have to agree that this DLC's release is definitely not a feather in the cap for DTG. The modeling of the SW1000 and Cab car is top notch in my book. Really like the ability to reposition the drivers seat, the window lock and the attention to detail of the cab car. So evaluating the DLC itself on those merits - not a bad job.

BUT and this is a really big BUT - the Northeast Corridor (Including the LIRR and NJT) is the primary passenger corridor for the United States where many of us where first exposed to passenger and commuter travel.

It began for me in the Mid-1970's when I was a Cadet at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy - going through that rigorous 4 years of training - Amtrak was my escape to Boston and NYC and beyond.. many a time would jump on for a day-trip to Boston just to escape. Today, over 40 years later it is still my prefered travel between NYC and Washington for when my consulting gigs so line up.

Not to have a good representation of this major passenger corridor because of the broken ATC/ACSES implementation detracts from all the other nice work they have put into the route... The Newark Airport station is spot on - arriving at it for the first time in the simulation brought chills to me. This is my favorite route in real life because of my familiarity, however, I hardly ever run the route because of the broken ATC/ACSES which is a big let down. I could always turn off the systems - but seems a shame to do so and ruins the immersion.

I do hope this gets a increased importance on the bug- fix list since it looks like from the comments many feel the same way as I.

• Like Like x 14
  17. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

It sounds like there was an expectation that the DLC would fix everything with NEC, but has that ever been claimed by DTG?

18. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Well they never said they would fix the route. But since they have corrected some things on RT people have hoped they would do the same.
    However if you count out the existing NEC Bugs, there are sill too many bugs in this new DLC.

19. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I think there are too many bugs in TSW as a whole. Having said that, I still enjoy it and prefer it exists than not. It seems to be a case of buyer beware.

• Like Like x 2
  20. xD 2Bad4You

Well i do enjoy it, too. And i guess most other people in here do aswell. Most people want the sim to be great.
    And still you should criticize a release like that. Releasing a DLC for a route which has a lot of problems was questionable from the beginning. Not fixing any of these bugs and releasing a DLC that comes with a handful of its own bugs just isnt a good move.

The releases before that were pointing in the right direction. They updated the HH physics and did improve the route a bit. All good things. Given that its just hard to accept a release like that. We have seen that they can do better and we should demand better for a DLC like that.

• Like Like x 6
  21. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

Hello

I’m not going to elaborate on what’s wrong, but this is the first time I’ve been disappointed in TSW.
    I’m sorry, DTG, but I got my money back.
    I always do a report on the French site and it’s no, no no and the little French will certainly not take it for that.

I really think you made a mistake with this one.
    I really hope that you will catch up on the next itinerary in the USA!!!

What a pity, the SW1000 is so beautiful, maybe on sale or when the publisher arrives who knows.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
  22. Big Papi34

Everything wrong with NEC should have been fixed a long time ago. It was the second American route made and since then there's been plenty of dlc released. But DTG never fixed it. Instead they give us a cab car and sw1000r to try to make it better.

• Like Like x 3
  23. LIRRGuy

Let's face it the best American Route for Train Sim World is Long Island RailRoad. That is the only american content that WAS ACTUALLY A SUCCES. Many people liked it.

• Like Like x 7
  24. Big Papi34

People like Heavy Haul ever since it's been fixed. But LIRR is enjoyable but it doesn't have freight or the m3 or DE30AC. New York and Atlantic could have been a enjoyable short line to have.

25. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I think that they may be fixing the route, but it’s taking a long time, so they released it now, then will release an update later. This makes sense because of the signaling description in the manual.

• Like Like x 1
  26. xD 2Bad4You

Does it really make sense though? Upset a lot of people with releasing something in a not ready state and no route fixes? Doesnt sound like a good plan for me.
    With no communication that they are going to adress the signaling issues and such.
    I wouldnt hold my breath for a route fix.

• Like Like x 4
  27. LIRRGuy

There is a rumor going around that the DE30AC is being made for Train Sim World and Dovetail is gettingn reference material for it, including the C3 Cab Car

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Schnauzahpowahz

:o

Pics or didnt happen ;)

29. LeadCatcher

I feel the use of “buyer beware” is a bit of a cop out. DTG has been very good as of late of revisiting and fixing long standing discrepancies with released routes and DLCs. All I am commenting on is the fact I think they missed a golden opportunity to continue to improve that reputation. I have been and remain a strong supporter of the TSW franchise, just disappointed ( but not overly surprised) that the trend of fixing long standing problems on routes wasn’t continued with the release of this DLC.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  30. Big Papi34

I know Matt was supposed to have said they were getting reference material or trying to. I can't remember the exact message.

31. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

You say you aren't surprised, so it's wishful thinking to expect route fixes with DLC especially when no such claim about fixes has been made by DTG. Learn from it and move on. Buyer beware!

32. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

EDIT: to be clear, I *did NOT* but this DLC. This is just my opinion from looking at reviews and gameplay and stuff. Just to clarify. For some reason people are eating this as "useful" and I don't want them to expect a firsthand review.

Yeah, I never had high hopes for this DLC... looks like I was wrong and it's even worse than I thought it would be from what I'm hearing. The ATC/ACSES doesn't even work AT ALL in the metroliner cab according to some people?

The biggest problem with this DLC is still the oddly short section of the NEC it's for. It just didn't ever make that much sense, and this could only add so much to it. But it doesn't even add as much as it could have, really... I've heard the only services for the cabcar are just 13 keystone services, with no extra services taking things in and out of service in Sunnyside or anything. So even if the SW1000R services are nice, it still doesn't sound like Sunnyside Yard was really "brought to life" like it could have been. After the last DLC added so much to service mode (yet again, from hearsay, don't have that one yet either), I kinda expected them to try and do the same here, but they didn't...

I'm not all that picky when it comes to these DLC and I might still buy it if it's 50% off in a sale eventually. I don't think it's selling all that well, so I can totally see it getting stronger and more frequent discounts...

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

A new DLC that adds more bugs to a buggy route. Good job DTG, refunded it.
    3D models are awesome, but the bugs and only 17 services for the shunter AND the cab car is a no-go.

• Like Like x 2
  34. LastTrainToClarksville

"I've heard" -- someone who has bought this DLC please supply a list of included scenarios and services. In my opinion, such a list should be included in each DLC's manual, as it has in nearly every add-on for TS.

35. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

from what im reading in these forums this DLC looks like a no, no to me. i'll be waiting for the sales. until now i have bought everything at full price.

• Like Like x 1
  36. LeadCatcher

Obviously you misunderstand what I am trying to convey - I am very clear on your position, but instead of having you sound like a broken record, will end my discussion over this point with you. Best.

37. xD 2Bad4You

2 Tutorials, 3 Scenarios, 13 Cabcar services which are all a 1 stop service, 4 Shunter services which are quite long (70 / 120 / 90 / 90 minutes ) and 53 additional ACS-64 Services

• Like Like x 1
  38. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

If I counted properly, there are 133 services for the ACS-64 in the base game without the SW1000R DLC.

I'm guessing it would add at least 13 ACS-64 services for the Keystone service trains in the other direction?

39. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

6 hours of gameplay sounds like a good deal to me. Does it show as AI as well?

• Like Like x 1
  40. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

The shunting services are only taking that long because you have a max speed of 5mph in the yard.

41. xD 2Bad4You

The length mostly comes from the 5MPH Speedlimit. You see some ACS-64´s going into the yard in some of them, for some you have to wait and let them pass. There isnt any shunter traffic or more AI traffic than that in the yards.
    Havent spawned in the yard to see them do the work, but i dont see a reason why these services wouldnt be done by AI if you wait for them

42. xD 2Bad4You

There are now 186 ACS-64 Services. So they added 53 of them.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Big Papi34

So does that mean you lose the achievement for NEC complete all services?

44. xD 2Bad4You

I dont think its possible to loose an achievement once obtained. It only could be, like they sadly did with the RT achievement, that if you havent done the achievement by now you need the DLC to get it from this point on.

45. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

That means absolutely nothing. Great Western Express has had flashing aspects in the manual since release, yet two years later we still don’t have it in the route.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. LIRRGuy

At this point, there is no hope for a Redone Amtrak Route, our only bet is it We get a NJT Route for TSW From Peen Station or Metro North From New Rocheellle

47. Big Papi34

What do you mean "our only bet." We could get anything and it end up being a great route. I honestly think mixed freight and passenger would be our best chance at a successful American dlc. Then passenger fans get passenger and freight fans (like myself) get freight.

• Like Like x 2
  48. LastTrainToClarksville

Thank you. I'll join the ranks of those waiting for a sale.

49. LIRRGuy

I was talking American Wise. I'm just waiting for a Loco DLC for LIRR or GWE.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Big Papi34

I knew you were talking American wise but NJT is not our best bet.

• Like Like x 1