For Anyone Struggling With The Class 08 On Wsr

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by underwaterdick, Jun 2, 2019.

1. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

I have found that when you drive the Class 08 on WSR the loco has its air brakes applied but the coaches have Vac brakes applied.

To get moving you have to release the loco air brakes, then switch them over to vac brakes and release those.

If you do not do this, the 08 struggles to pull the coaches and makes a nasty screeching noise!

No idea why both types of brakes are applied, is this a real world thing with the Gronk and heritage coaches does anyone know?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. underwaterdick

Just realised that I wrote TVL when I meant WSR! Whoops.
    I have had no issues on TVL, but did on WSR.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

yes i found that out on WSR with the 08 especially bringing them coaches back from Norton Fitzwarren. it could not pull them up the hill and eventually gave up altogether.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ian Whelan

Ian Whelan New Member

I have same problem on the heavy freight pack. On the first service on the 08 once the 3 wagons are hooked up, when setting off there's a really bad grinding brake noise even though I have checked that all brakes have been released, or have I?. Then hooking up the next wagons the train won't move at all??. When the throttle gets to setting 2 the engine just cuts out. Is there something that I'm not doing?. I am new to this TSW. Thanks. PS4.

• Like Like x 2
  5. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Behind the drivers seat there is a brake selector switch which you can toggle between air brakes and vacuum brakes. The vans need the vacuum setting selected otherwise the brakes won't release - hence the grinding. Note it's only the vans, everything else on NTP uses air brakes.

If you use it on WSR you will need to also select the vacuum option to move the coaches.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ian Whelan

Ian Whelan New Member

Thank you. Will take a look. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I should have added it's on the flat front below the window on the left. Hope that gets you moving - more quickly. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ian Whelan

Ian Whelan New Member

Nice one. Thank you. I know what I'll be doing this weekend!!.

• Like Like x 1
  9. danjoda755

danjoda755 Member

Can you clarify how to release "vac brakes"? Are you referring to straight air brakes? I'm still battling to complete GWR To the Beach scenario, damn engine drives like a dead dog! Help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. k4rlovc4n

k4rlovc4n Active Member

Attempt to change the brakes by using the rectangular button (right side to the controller)! ;)

11. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

The "Down to the beach" scenario uses the class 09 so you don't have to worry about the air/vacuum switch for the train brakes, it's permanently set to vacuum. It does have straight air brakes that work on the loco only - good for continuous retardation where applying the train brakes would cause the speed to yo-yo.

So it's just a case of making sure both brakes are released fully and moving off. I think maybe you might be expecting too much out of the shunter (switcher), it can struggle to get to any speed up inclines, 15mph is about it. Luckily it is geared for 27mph when it gets to the top.
    It's less greyhound and more Shih Tzu. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. danjoda755

danjoda755 Member

My thanks for your reply, got a laugh for sure. Still quite a mess, after endless stalls and crash errors, I finally completed mission "To the Beach, WSR), but 47 minutes LATE! Projected completion time is about 75 minutes, but 2+ hours of crawling at 12mph wasn't enjoyable.

• Like Like x 2
  13. danjoda755

danjoda755 Member

Almost forgot to mention, at some station stops, it helped to leap from left to right engineer seats and release both brakes from both sides. Lord, GSR needs lots of fixes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. underwaterdick

This isn't normal.
    It sounds like you still had a brake applied.
    Either the handbrake, Vac brake, Air brake, auto brake or straight brake.

Did you try the vac/air selector switch below the rear window?

The route isn't broken at all generally, I managed to comple all services and scenarios on the route with only one issue. A red signal that turned out to be from some points miles away that were set incorrectly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

The scenario is in the 09, so it's vacuum only. But I agree it does seem rather slow. It should get up to the 25 mph max line speed once it's topped the inclines. Odd.

• Like Like x 2
  16. danjoda755

danjoda755 Member

Greetings, and thanks for your response. I have scoured the Class 09 cab pixel by pixel, read every post and article I could find, and for the life of me I can not find the infamous vac selector valve. To be sure, I released parking brake, straight air and drivers brake, but I'm uncertain if the aforementioned vac selector occurs on the PS4 version. I may eventually just uninstall and reinstall everything. Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  17. danjoda755

danjoda755 Member

Almost forgot, I ran the Minehead Shunter 1 and 2 scenarios, that engine behaved like a dream. I still suspect a bug in the scenario "To the Beach". No evidence of the nefarious vac selector switch, but wasn't needed anyway, and engine and consist behaved perfectly. .

• Like Like x 1
  18. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Stop looking. :D
    It's just on the (very similar) class 08 - which you won't have access to unless you have NTP or TVL DLC installed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. danjoda755

danjoda755 Member

Indeed The confusion is that the vac selector switch is present and accounted for on the Class 47 in SERVICES, not on the Class 08 in scenario "To the Beach". Possibly poster Underwaterdick didn't realize I was addressing specific scenario, not services.

• Like Like x 2
  20. underwaterdick

Yep, I didn't realise you were talking about the 09 in a Scenario, the thread is about the Class 08!

• Like Like x 1
  21. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Actually this Class 09 on the West Somerset is equiped with a DUAL Brake Lever --> You can see it from the Hoses on the front and Rear. (2x Main Reservoir Hose, 1x Vacuum Hose, 1x Air Hose)
    The Devs paid attention to much detail as in which position the levers can be moved or not.

For detailed technical description and insructions about the class 08 / 09 & 13:

http://locodocs.co.uk/brmanuals/08-09-13GeneralInstructions1980.htm

Works just fine with the air breaked Mark2a coaches from ntp (65-70lbs at 100% applied). Witch Mark 1 vaccum breaked its about 100lbs with 100%

• Like Like x 1