Baseless Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by raildan, Aug 16, 2018.

1. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Hi Matt, how many projects do you (DTG) work on at any one time?

2. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

There are changes in the DLC in the steam DB app today. There are a lot of numbers that begin with 57, 101 and 111. Could it be that this means the BR Class 57, the DB BR 101 and the DB BR 111 will arrive in TSW. Thank you very much for your thoughts in advance.

3. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it (as there just plain AppID numbers). But it does look like they added in 5 more placeholders to the DLC list. Well just have to wait and see what they are then.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Probably not IMO since those are just ID's for the DLC and aren't really related to its name. If their names were showing up there, there would probably be something like "CL57" or "BR111."

Also none of those locomotives really make sense as DLC right now. The 57 and 101 do run on existing routes, but only stop at one or two stations on the route. I don't think the 111 runs on any of the routes, but I don't know much about those so I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

any word on if the next American route is gonna be Connecticut shoreline east,Metro North Harlem line or the NJT Trenton line?

6. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

No.

• Like Like x 3
  7. seblay1608

seblay1608 Well-Known Member

Der BR 111 is driven on the Main-Spessart-Route with Moduscars

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

9. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

Given Matt's response on the Superliners thread, I want to say it could be a diversion or an honest asking for potential route options, but I want to say we will see something west of the Mississippi for our next US route, and I am still really leaning towards a California based route. Either CalTrain or Pac Surf, but I feel that it will be very much in that direction, and a place were Superliners could be used....

• Like Like x 1
  10. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

My question wasn't loaded at all, just prompting people to not just say "i want to see x train" but to also outline their thoughts on where they'd like to see it run. Same goes for any "x" train :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Perhaps the next British DLC could be set in modern times, such as somewhere between 2010-2019 era? The only ‘modern’ British DLC we’ve had is GWE

I say this not just because I like modern content, but the last few British DLC’s have either been set in BR era or been a loco for WSR.

Ideally I’d like everyone to get what they like, though in reality that isn’t possible. However I do think there needs to be a bit more variety in the British side of things, and not just the ‘old stuff’.

So where would I want it set?
    Option 1: WCML South: London Euston to Milton Keynes Central
    Option 2: Birmingham Cross City: Lichfield Trent Valley to Redditch/Bromsgrove
    Option 3: Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk

What stock?
    Option 1: Class 350, (Voyager), Class 390, Class 66/86/90
    Option 2: Class 323, Class 170, Voyager
    Option 3: Class 170, Class 156, Class 158, Class 380/385*

*depending on whether the line is electrified or not.

What era?
    2010-present day.

• Like Like x 5
  12. mrchuck

Or what about New Jersey Transit like Pennsylvania station to Trenton or metro north Grand Central Terminal to north white plains or southeast?

13. raildan

Personally (I had this idea after that WCML article a few months ago) I think Stoke-on-Trent to Manchester could be plausible, with a 390, 323, and 66. Sounds like some similar ideas here I guess.

Ooh, I like option 3. That could be a nice network-style route like LIRR, but British.

The problem with option 1 is that they have licensing problems with LNWR (or whoever operates the 350's, I don't know, not completely familiar with British trains all the time lol. Just to be clear, we are talking a the train in your profile picture, right?)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  14. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Yes, this particular train in my profile picture is the one I mentioned, however that is in the older London Midland livery, the previous company which ran the service. Now it is run by West Midlands Trains/London Northwestern Railway.

The only way I can think of to avoid licensing problems is to make an unbranded version so the community can make mods for it, like they do in TS1?

15. RailWorkshop

RailWorkshop Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. raildan

NVM, see NorthRail1's post below

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  17. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. raildan

19. animalkosmik

animalkosmik Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

The next route is probably going to be American, so here are some ideas on what it could be.

The US-UK-DE cycle seems to have ended, and the choice of American route may be the reason for this. Dovetail Games may have made a longer route which would take more time or the route might have been delayed due to work on the physics for American locomotives (suggesting similar locos to those in CSX Heavy Haul). Also routes which have less towns or stations are easier and quicker to make, meaning that this route may be the longest one yet.

As for the operator, I think it is quite safe to say that BNSF is out of the question since Dovetail Games prefers branding on the locomotives, which would not be possible for BNSF outside of the USA and all BNSF content for TS2019 made since then has been made by third-parties. CSX has now been featured in 3 DLC for Train Sim World (CSX Heavy Haul, CSX GP40-2, and NEC: New York) so I think we will probably have a different operator for this route. This leaves Norfolk Southern and Union Pacific as the two most likely operators. Another reason why this route is going to be released after TVL may be because of a completely new type of environment such as a desert, which would take more time to create, suggesting that this could be a Union Pacific route.

Also since the release of Train Sim World there have been many requests for the Amtrak P42DC. It is probably one of the most requested locomotives on this forum, suggesting that it is probably likely that it will be featured soon.

Routes which I think would be likely because of this are Cajon Pass, the UP Moffat Tunnel Subdivision from Denver to Fraser-Winter Park, and Kansas City to Topeka (which was included in a survey last year). Though of course I could be completely wrong with all of this.

• Like Like x 13
  21. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Well, there are a few problems with that guess, those routes don't really fit in with the criteria you set.

Cajon Pass is a BNSF route. Now, you do have UP's Palmdale Cutoff nearby, but that is nowhere near as interesting. It's got less traffic, no passenger stuff save a mere 8-mile segment of a Metrolink line (which would be unbranded anyway). Also, such a Palmdale cutoff route would be at least 80 miles unless you wanted to put one end of the route in the middle of nowhere. And if you wanted the route to include more than one yard, it would need to be 110 miles long. I don't see that happening.

UP's line from KC to Topeka has no passenger service, only the parallel BNSF line has that. While the UP line is the more interesting one (BNSF's main corrdior avoids Topeka) it just doesn't fit the idea of having anything Amtrak. Also, this wouldn't really be a new environment at all. Routes have had fields and trees before.

The Moffat Tunnel line may be the only reasonable UP one with opportunities for Amtrak too, though the line is also pretty busy with BNSF trains and would not be complete without representing this (unlike the other routes, there is not a BNSF line right next to this one, so the railroads share). Yet it would be disappointing to have another line like CSX Heavy Haul where the route ends on the mainline with fictional 'crew changes.'

Not to mention, all these routes are freight lines with big trains. And last I heard, TSW can't handle realistically long freight trains. Not sure how likely another primarily freight route is going to be when trains are only 50 cars long. Heck, we don't even know if consoles can handle 50 cars, much less 150, since they don't have CSX Heavy Haul.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Maybe they are trying to optimize the couplings so that consoles can handle these long trains.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

I'm going with Norfolk Southern. There's been an increase with Norfolk Southern stuff on Train Simulator lately. How many frieght cars have been on NEC at once? I've built one using all the cars on NEC New York Switcher and it ran pretty well.

24. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

how do you know this and I completely agree with you. A longer route could make the P42DC Locomotives appear in TSW. Actually this could be possible to with the next American DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Big Papi34

How does he know what? That it will probably be American? It would be disappointing if it wasn't American tbh.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Big Papi34

It would be nice to have a P42DC before they get replaced with the chargers.

• Like Like x 2
  27. mrchuck

Maybe it could be a metro north route. with the P42DC Locomotive because some of the metro north Locomotive run with P42DC Locomotives.

28. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Couplings? I don't see why couplings would cause any problems. It's all in the air brake simulation, which is the single most complicated thing in SimuGraph and has to be repeatedly included in every single train car.

Metro North has no P42DCs. Also, that would be New York. Again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Big Papi34

That would be another short all passenger route in New York.

• Like Like x 2
  30. raildan

With Cajon Pass and Moffat Tunnel, it still seems possible. It would not be unlike DTG to just completely cut out BNSF like that- operations on some of the other routes are also not completely realistic like this (with TVL, 101's were almost completely gone by 1989, with RSN I can't seem to find evidence doppelstock ever ran there apart from the Iserlohn one, and with NEC.... where to begin), so leaving put BNSF doesn't seem like a stretch for them. (I did some research, and apparently UP did earn trackage rights over Cajon Pass. They don't operate much over it, but again, that might be just enough room for DTG to fudge with the details a bit). Similarly, I really don't think DTG will care that much about the shorter trains. They're all in the UK, so it seems long enough to them.

Not saying I completely agree with all of this, just that I don't think it will stop DTG.

• Like Like x 5
  31. Shukiii

Shukiii Well-Known Member

The dostos featured in RSN were never used there at all, not even on the "Der Iserlohner" service. These were used there:[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  32. Big Papi34

Couldn't they have BNSF content for the US only then have the same dlc with fake names like COTG for people outside the US?

33. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Seeing that tomorrow is the Fourth of July, I wonder if DTG will give the first hint for an American route tomorrow? Looking at the spreadsheet, there's a predicted release for the 18th, which would mean there would be the whole weekend for the speculation phase with the first article being next Monday and a (possible) release 10 days later. Tees Valley was 18 days from announcement to release, so a date of July 25 wouldn't be out of the question either (17 days from announcement to release).

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. raildan

If you're talking about my spreadsheet from earlier, don't pay all that much attention to it, it was assuming stuff would be released every two weeks, which is wrong and I haven't updated. I still think you're right about the next route's release date, though- it just seems to make sense, as a couple of other people have come up with that as a release date in other ways. So yeah, it could happen.

The Fourth of July idea is an interesting one, could be an interesting marketing thingy.

I don't think they would do that. They seem to really want to keep unbranded or fake brands out of TSW, since it would ruin the immersion more than it would in TS19. I'm sure we'll get BNSF through community repaints though.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Juxen

Juxen Well-Known Member

Cajon may be a BNSF line, but it was the first American DLC for Rail Simulator, with all-UP content from San Bernardino to Barstow. It's possible they'd do it again.

Moffat sounds more realistic. There's not so much BNSF traffic that it'd feel out of place to not include it. And who knows, they might even have it in the DRGW era, with Amtrak F40PH's.

I'm curious to see if anyone's managed to couple 100-or-so cars onto a train in CSX: HH, and what the performance was. As-is, you don't have enough space to get out of Cumberland before hitting a red signal and ending the scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  36. raildan

You can indeed make a hundred car train in CSX:HH- there's even an achievement for it! You kind of have to mess with service mode and then kinda steal all the consists waiting to leave Cumberland Yard... there IS enough room, too, if you pull out behind them next to the hump yard. I've done it, but I don't remember the performance, sorry.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. Big Papi34

That's interesting. Wonder what's the longest train you can make in NEC.

38. LIRRGuy

Anything is possible like NJT. Although Termniates in NYC,it mostly set in NJ. Most of the Routes aren't even that long because the longest route in NJT is Between 58-100 Miles. The Northeast Corridor NJT edition is 58 Miles and we will not forget Northern Suffolk because I think they have a Major yard in Jersey

• Like Like x 1
  39. LIRRGuy

Well this could be Dovetail gift to America for the 4th of July

40. Big Papi34

TBH if it's all NJT or all Metro North I won't buy it.

• Like Like x 2
  41. Big Papi34

Hopefully.

42. LIRRGuy

Hopefully if they did it would have the NS freight route with NJT. TBH I would Buy it even if was all either one of them. But for real tho I agree with you we NEED a Passenger route with a mix of freight.

• Like Like x 2
  43. LIRRGuy

Wanna know what America Gift for TSW. I want a FIXED NEC Northeast Corridor with ATC and ACES fixes.

• Like Like x 4
  44. Big Papi34

And something where you get proper freight and passenger trains unlike NEC.

• Like Like x 1
  45. LIRRGuy

Well so um it also BETTER HAVE Signal corrections and stuff. Cause I'm not having another signaling troubled route like NEC

46. raildan

Signaling... hmm..

...wait a minute, have we even seen PTC (the Wabtec system, not counting ACSES here) in ANY train sim yet? Those systems should be operational now, so assuming the next route is busy enough and modern it should have it, just like NEC has ACSES.

Just a random thought/realization.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. Big Papi34

That would be cool. Quick question. Do you think a sd70mac looks like a dash 9?

48. raildan

No, not at all really. I mean I guess they are kind of the same shape but they're pretty different since they're made by different manufacturers. Why?

49. Amtrak131

Amtrak131 Active Member

Could be a blockbuster, like the Acela Express and a section of the NEC like Washington or Boston. But the currect NEC route and its services need fixing.

1. Why do all the Northbound AI trains divert only to Track 11 and southbound trains divert on track 13?
    The Keystone service that runs at 7:30am goes onto the same track as a regional in New York Penn and unloads whether all the cars are on the platform or not.

The NY Penn Station model needs to be the same as the LIRR version that allows you to go upstairs to switch tracks.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Amtrak131

Amtrak131 Active Member