Along The Solent: Southampton - Brighton

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thearkerportian, Jul 4, 2019.

1. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Moin,

Havant we a modern electrified British route yet? No? Well how about this one then, some 60 miles of English south coast plus a small branch here and there. While it looks like an awful lot of station to reproduce at first glance, the vast majority consists of nothing more than two side platforms. No switches or anything.

General
    Era: Modern
    Length end to end: 100 km
    Max speed: 85 mph (?)
    # of passenger stations: 44
    Service types: Local, Regional, Cargo
    # of tracks: 2
    Electrified: 3rd rail

Suitable vehicles (among others):
    Class 313
    Class 377
    Class 444
    Class 450
    Class 455
    Class 319
    Any cargo engine

Maps
    Southampton-Brighton.PNG
    Southampton-Brighton Map.PNG
    Key Locations
    [​IMG]
    Southamton Central

[​IMG]
    Portsmouth & South Sea

[​IMG]
    Bognor Regis

[​IMG]
    Littlehampton

[​IMG]
    Brighton

Further Impressions
    [​IMG]
    St Denys

[​IMG]
    Worthing

[​IMG]
    Havant

[​IMG]
    Barnham

[​IMG]
    Chicester

[​IMG]
    Bursledon

[​IMG]
    Bosham

[​IMG]
    Fishersgate

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 30
  2. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

This is an excellent suggestion. Although the 455s and 319s don't operate on the South Coast and while the 444s do, they only operate the leg between Millbrook and St Denys for the Southampton route and Havant and Portsmouth.

I think a seaside route is definitely a good choice. We've had mountains and cities so why not the beach too?

• Like Like x 7
  3. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The first ever train simulator add-on I purchased was this route for MSTS, it was called "West Coastway" and went from Portsmouth to Brighton with the branches. It would be good to see it in TSW, I suspect if it was released it would be the Portsmouth to Brighton section, probably with the 313 and 377.

• Like Like x 2
  5. thearkerportian

Quite possibly. I like to see my suggestions as best case scenarios, it's DTG's choice after all what to make of it, if anything at all. I will say though, what seems to be holding back TSW as a franchise is the mile-per-money ratio, eg. route length of the DLC. So many people told me they would totally switch over to TSW if there was more consecutive distance to drive. Quie a few even play MSTS still for just that reason.

• Like Like x 1
  6. thearkerportian

Considering the latest release for TS2019, I think Southampton to Netley is the most likely scenario :D
    [/sarcasm]

7. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Bit dull. Mostly units. Now if it was in the 80s, you could have 33s, 73s, 37s, 47s to balance out the units (VEPs, CIGs, REPs, TCs).

• Like Like x 1
  8. thearkerportian

Who's acting childish now? It's certainly not me...

9. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you see it that way, but I find your suggestions very lacklustre. If only you knew what these routes once were like and experienced them first hand, you'd understand.

10. thearkerportian

Different tastes. You heard of them?

11. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Yes. Get back to me when you've tasted the 80s or even before. Then you can choose.
    I think you miss an important ability of TSW. You miss that not only can it simulate driving trains, it can also take you back in time. To "experience" trains that no longer exist irrespective if you ever experienced them. I'd love to drive an A4 through Gasworks tunnel and arrive at a pre-war King's Cross. That is numerous degrees of separation from driving a Class 700 for example. A type of train I could ride on in 10 minutes after writing this message. I'm sure the 700 would appeal to many here but to me it doesn't use the potential of TSW. I want something more.

12. thearkerportian

You still don't get it, do you? V A R I E T Y. I own both NTP and TVL, in addition to WSR which for all intents and purposes is historic as well, and I do indeed drive them regularly, so I guess I enjoy them then. But I'd also prefer to get something different as the next add-on rather than more of the same. Is that really so hard to understand?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Yes of course. When have I suggested that we have more of the same? All I've suggested is a common era and even mentioned an earlier time with an A4. The route would still be different at the very least. You appear to be suggesting that "historical" is all the same whether it's in the 80s or the 30s. You just want modern and anything historic you seem to put in the same bucket. I'm sure if someone put forward 50s, 60s, 70s you'd have the same objections. You don't want variety. You want modern.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  14. thearkerportian

Well from the amount of times you mentioned the 80s (same period as TVL and NTP) that was indeed my guess. If we go in a vastly different time period - pre-war, or perhaps Edwardian, that would definitely be a big difference, we're in no disagreement there. Hell, I've been waiting for YEARS for a release date of Titanic: Honor & Glory, which isn't exactly in a modern setting either, of course. I have nothing against nostalgia, but nonetheless there's more things I have nothing against.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Is there any reason why we cant have both? So often I see binary discussions on this forum- its either A or B, and if you have one you cant have the other (in the discussion anyway). It seems to me to be an assunption that breeds conflict.
    Once one route is done for one era would it not be possible to release it in another era? DTG would jump all over the moneytree potential there surely?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2019
  16. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Like I've said, I like the time travel thing. It doesn't have to be the 80s at all. I'm just not that much of a fan of modern as I can use modern right now. Maybe in 20 years I'll get nostalgic about 319s and 455s and want to drive them on TSW. Who knows.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

I used to come back on holidays from overseas to my Grandparents in the 80s who lived in Hove. My nostalgia for 80s EMUs and diesels around Brighton and along towards Portsmouth is pretty high! Id love a route like this from that era- if the Devils Dike railway was on there too it would go right past their old house :)
    I can appreciate that people also want modern options too, and I think that there is probably room for both- modern stock on modern routes?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I think that would be a great concept. I'd love GWE over the last 50 years or so.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I should add that the 80s thing I promote is slightly tongue in cheek. As much as it's the era I know best, I do enjoy reading about other periods and would like to see them represented in TSW.

20. shbrocrafter

shbrocrafter Active Member

This is an excellent suggestion and like you said, DTG can do what they need with it if it needs to be shortened. Really hope they realise the potential and the want for a South Coast, third rail route

• Like Like x 1