32bit Or 64bit Installation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paulg1953, Jun 30, 2019.

1. paulg1953

paulg1953 New Member

Purchased TS2019 about a week ago, I noticed it's advertised as 32/64bit. I've installed it on a 64bit machine running Windows 8.1 but I notice in the Windows task manager its listed as railworks.exe (32bit) I also see it has installed itself in the Program Files (x86) folder which I believe is for 32 bit programs.
    Is this correct or have I made a mistake when I installed the programme?

Paul

2. hightower

hightower Guest

No mistake, you just need to run the 64-bit executable when you launch the game.

3. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Nah, just windows trying to be organised when it's not and Steam not being the easiest thing to use sometimes either.

In effect Train Sim 2019 has two front ends, one 32 bit and one 64 bit.
    You CAN run either from within steam by right clicking Train Simulator and choosing 32 or 64 bit
    You CAN go into program files(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/railworks and then either run railworks.exe (32 bit) or railworks64.exe (64bit)
    I preferred to go to the latter location and then create a shortcut to the 64 bit exe on my desktop
    This ensures you always get the 64 bit version and stops the faff of going through steam etc

5. paulg1953

paulg1953 New Member

Ok, thanks for the replies, just created the shortcut to the 64bit version :)

6. ARuscoe

7. hightower

hightower Guest

Just note (to the best of my knowledge), if you make a change to something in the menus that requires a restart, always answer no and manually restart it.

In this instance if you let TS2019 restart itself, it always does it in 32bit.

8. Hello, I have Windows 10 64-bit system and only TS2019 32-bit exe launcher will load by default on my machine! And the game loads up great, including when I load the 64-bit exe launcher via the Steam application the game loads up great! Either way!

If you have a Windows 64-bit system, Windows will automatically set up the default launcher that being either the 32-bit or 64-bit exe launcher for TS2019, I'm not exactly sure how this works but Windows just sees which is best for the OS to load the game or any other game as a default and optional for user's to use a 64-bit exe launcher or continue to use the 32-bit exe launcher which I'm always doing!

If however, you have a Windows 32-bit system, then obviously Windows will choose the 32-bit by default! but you cannot use the 64-bit exe launcher as far as I am aware of!

But regardless for me, I can load up either the 32-bit or 64-bit exe launcher and they are both working great on my Windows 10 64-bit machine! I hope that you find this information helpful :)

9. rolandfisher8

rolandfisher8 New Member

Try running the 64-bit executable when launching the game.
    roll the ball

10. I already knew that!

11. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I need your little help to create a desktop icon with " Railworks64 ". No problem to create a desktop shortcut icon onto desktop but have to login first with " Steam " icon on desktop. With " Train Simulator " desktop icon you don't have to go over to Steam icon on desktop to startup. Now that is the one I want to click the " Railworks64 " to start the program of Train Simulator 2019. But need to add something in target line on " Railworks64 " icon on desktop. Hope someone can tell me about this. I did go over to DoveTail Games Help and not given much information about this. Anyway here is the link below:

https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Kn...-which-version-of-train-simulator-2019-to-use

Let me know about this.

Thank you,

John

12. ARuscoe

• Go into steam bootstrap loader
    • Go to library
    • Right click Train Simulator
    • Select Properties (bottom option)
    • in the option box...
    • Click Local Files (at the top)
    • Click Browse Local Files button
    • Scroll down to Railworks64.exe application
    • Right Click
    • Select Send To from menu
    • Select Desktop (Create Shortcut) from menu
    This will send a shortcut to that FILE to the desktop. You can now close the file explorer window and the steam bootstrapper program

13. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Thank you to ARuscoe but that is not what I want. All I want is to click on the Railworks64 shortcut icon on desktop to start the program of Train Simulator 2019 without having to login to Steam first. The Train Simulator 32 icon on desktop doesn't have to have Steam login to start the program of Train Simulator 2019. I did check the link in properties of Train Simulator 32 and is different from Railworks64. I wonder who can correct the link in properties of Railworks64 -- DoveTail Games Support or Steam Support. It would be easier for me and others too to click on the desktop icon Railworks64 to start the program of Train Simulator 2019. Attention to Train-Sim Daniel -- do you think that your team support can create a link for Railworks64 to start the program of Train Simulator 2019 from the beginning without login to Steam?

Thank you,

John

14. TrainSim-Daniel

Steam is a requirement to run both the 64-Bit and 32-Bit variants of the game.
    If Steam is not signed in you'll need to do so to launch the game.

15. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Thank you TrainSim-Daniel for your reply. Yes I understood that I still have to login through Steam then pick 32 or 64-bit for launch the game.

Thank you,

John

16. hightower

hightower Guest

You can have Steam auto-start when you turn your PC on. As soon as the Steam icon is in the taskbar double click on the shortcut on the desktop/start menu & you’re away. Unless I have a specific reason to, I never interact with Steam at all.

It’s really all very straight forward basic Windows stuff we’re talking about.

17. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

You mean in Options Menu of Steam and put a checkmark in the box with " Run Steam when my computer starts " Yes I did put the Steam icon on taskbar. So next time all I have to do is to click the desktop shortcut icon of Railworks64 and will startup the program of Train Simulator 2019. Is that correct -- hightower?

Let me know if I am wrong about this above.

Thank you again,

John

18. ARuscoe

That is correct. Load up steam (either manually or automatically) then run the program

19. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Still ask me to " Please login to Steam " in the box of Railworks64 icon after click on desktop. Why do I have to login in to Steam first? All I want is to click on Railworks64 icon to start the program of Train Simulator 2019. That's what I want. The reason is that after login in to Steam then click " Games " on top taskbar with " Library " then will see Games on the list and right-click Play Train Simulator 64-bit Edition and there is another " Play Game " on the list. That is for Train Simulator 32-bit Edition. My desktop is Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit operating system on HP Omen . That is why I really don't need 32-bit Edition. I am wondering if I can get rid of this with Train Simulator 32-bit Edition. Can I just pick one game on the list not both with " Play Train simulator 64-bit Edition " on the list of Games? Don't need Train Simulator 32-bit Edition on my desktop. I know that DoveTail Games is working on to have all their games only to 64-bit Edition but not sure when will that be available.

Let me know about this if I can click one game with 64-bit Edition of Train Simulator with login in to Steam automatically not manually on my desktop.

Thank you again,

John

20. TrainSim-Daniel

Hi John,
    Based on your description your not signed into Steam when you select to open TS. Steam needs to be running and logged in before you can open the game so please ensure you've set Steam up to start with Windows and that you have set it to remember your login details.

21. ARuscoe

Steam is used to license check the program and DLC that you have from DTG. That's why you need to login to steam first, because that's what DTG have made the program need to do

22. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Anyway all is good now that I can click the icon of Train Simulator 64-bit edition on desktop to start the program of Train Simulator 2019.

Thank you to everyone and have a good weekend!

John

23. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

my 64bit PC has stopped loading 64 bit, just get the spining wheel for 2 secs then nothing used to work good now only 32bit works

24. ARuscoe

Are you running it straight from the exe or from steam?
    Have you tried updating your machine?
    Have you submitted a ticket?

25. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

from steam, if I try from exe it says log in to steam.
    Just put a ticket in

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  26. ARuscoe

The steam client bootstrap (the thing that sits down by your clock) needs to be running whenever you want to access TS but once you've got that up and running you can open the program itself from a direct link to the program file
    That's how I do it anyway. I only ever access steam itself if I need to add a new DLC