PC Editor

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jevan-dean, Jul 15, 2019.

1. jevan-dean

jevan-dean Active Member

Dovetail, please keep us updated on how the editor is going. In December you told us the Editor is in open beta soon. It is now JULY, and we have heard nothing. You told us to start making assets so we can import them into the sim straight away. If the editor is not coming, then please tell us. If it is, then update us. All this silence just makes people frustrated.

• Like Like x 23
  2. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Funny, I planned to do just this thread, so thanks for doing my work :D
    But to the topic:
    'News when there is news'
    - that is basically everything that has been said about the editor for quite a long time now. I honestly find it difficult to believe that there is nothing to be said about the editor for multiple months except for that. If you are struggling, because UE4 just does not work the way you originally thought, then at least tell us. If you are spending multiple months importing every single assett you have, and that is taking all this time, then at least tell us. If thing A does not work, then at least.. you get the point.
    The editor is quite delayed by now, considering the original release schedule from a few years back. So what's the problem? We are curious and we want to know!
    With the current state of the editor and the amount of communication about it (None), the community will simply get more frustrated and the general tone will become increasingly more unpleasant. A new studio update (which itself is quite overdue) could bring new insight, or a dedicated Dovetail Live article. A devstream would be another possibility to show off what you got.
    Summary I guess: please stop with your radio silence! The longer you wait, the more unpleasant the reactions of the community will be. Speak to us, or show something. Please!

• Like Like x 13
  3. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Take a look at this YouTube video link posted in the TSW forum earlier (and missed by jevan-dean and kalteVollmilch, evidently -- but then, I only stumbled on it by accident):

• Like Like x 1
  4. kalteVollmilch

Thank you, I definitely somehow missed that!
    But then again, this video is from Dec. 2018, which was 7 months ago..
    So some news still would be nice

• Like Like x 6
  5. Fabrizio520

Fabrizio520 Guest

Do you work for DTG or do you just have a brain that doesn't work?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Boyka91

Boyka91 Active Member

Agree

• Like Like x 3
  7. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Matt told us in a video about the Editor in spring. But it was not near to release it.
    Link April Studio update He Say We are still a way off a public beta
    I think earliest to Christmas, If we have bad luck, it may take another year. (Dovetail is not fast...)

• Like Like x 1
  8. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Personally I think Christmas is the earliest we will see it being released. The lack of any update or communication about it says it all really.

If it was even near ready, then there’d be a lot more discussion on it.

One thing I don’t like is that DTG know how it is progressing, but whenever a question is asked about it, we always get the same “I can’t say anything about it/I don’t have news on it yet. Wait for news via the official media platforms.” and it’s then put under the carpet again.

It’s all well and good saying that but this is what we are waiting for, news or an update on it. We aren’t mind readers, so it’d be nice to give us an update. We have literally been waiting months for one.

They could keep this up for months and before you know it it’ll be the end of the year. Half a year has already passed by..

• Like Like x 5
  9. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

I've stopped playing the game regularly and if this wasn't one of the few sites not blocked at work, I wouldn't be coming around every night hoping for any shred of information like a lost puppy. I've mostly given up hope for an editor release or an editor anything anytime soon. Every time someone posts anything about the editor I always think to myself .. "Oh yeah, I forgot about that".

Maybe one of these days. Until then, on to other games.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Maybe there is not enough new info to fill an entire article. How hard would it be for DTG to make a thread like this where someone would post small updates about the editor every few days?

That would solve a lot of problems related to communication.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 10
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. jörgen Näslund

I think Dovetail is scared to say within 3 month we are gonna release Editor.
    And when it have gone 3 month they are not finished with it
    Then it will be a debate from us. You promise us. This way they avoids this. But I do not defend it

But it have take so long to do editor (Soon 3 year) Far too long.
    I think TSW is boring now. In Csx heavy haul. Then you have done the 8 Scenarios and some of the Services (many are alike)
    So there is not much to do.
    I would run the trains with 120 wagons (now is max 50 wagons) To do own Scenarios, testing others scenarios. (as others have done)
    TSW grows very slowly without an editor. Others can not do routes engines etc
    We are so incredibly locked now we can't do anything else in the route than what Dovetail tells us to do.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  12. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Yeah, it has been a painful wait. It's truly a shame that they cannot take 5-10 minutes (truthfully that's ALL it would take) to craft up a one to two sentence update once in a while.

Here is an example of what one of those updates could possibly be.

Example: "The editor is still in closed beta testing. Some critical bugs have been discovered that require more time before we release it to open beta."

Something like that.

• Like Like x 8
  13. bobsr

bobsr Member

With the announcement of the new version of TSW 2020, after reading of some of the improvements, I can see that the editor will be held up even more, because of changes to the core of the game. One example, the "Journeys and scoring system."

14. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

They just announced TSW2020. Nothing about the content editor, so not coming in August. Disappointing ...

• Like Like x 4
  15. Tomas9970

They are probably trying to refine whatever they can before releasing the editor. Imagine if they modifed the scenario system after releasign the editor and broke all workshop scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

I think you're barking up the wrong track, pun intended, here. From what Matt's said in the Editor stream and various articles one of the major issues preventing the release of the Editor has been enabling the editing of cooked assets rather than the original assets. I assume, dangerous I realise, that in making any core changes DTG have tried to minimise the impact on the Editor and made any necessary changes to the editor whilst implementing the new features. It's even possible that some of the changes were made to resolve some issues with the Editor.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Yeah I think so. Maybe the transition from Services to Journeys is intended to make it possible to add more than one single day to a route. We cannot know. I hope the navigation through the menus will really be improved, but unfortunately DTG does not have a very good reputation with this aspect, so fingers crossed for this.

18. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I think the UI overhaul coming as part of TSW 2020 will be the first step of integrating the editor and 3rd party content into the game.

19. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

Journeys are not replacing Services. It's just another way to meaningfully progress through a route DLC

20. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

That's been the basic line from day one, and given it hasn't changed people would STILL be questioning
    And then you'd get the people wanting to know WHAT the bugs are, why they weren't known beforehand and how can they need MORE time when they've had 36 months (number pulled from you don't want to know where)
    In other words no matter what DTG do it won't be right or something somewhere will be better.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

You don't need more than 24 hour of service mode for longer Journey system. If journey system is some continuous driving up and down the line, every train you baypass on your current journey is supposed to be a next day drivable service for you. That means, services run are at some cycle and another day lead to another cycle.

22. ARuscoe

Let's spitball here.
    In real life you have a weekday service, saturday, sunday, holiday service and maybe specials. If they're rejigged service mode so that you could have services aligned to the date (impacting on service frequency, passenger levels, freight levels and so on as well as weather) then you COULD need more than a single 24 hour schedule of services...

23. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I think some scenarios in WSR go into that direction of "additional trains" and "holiday special gala" if I remember correctly

24. ARuscoe

The whole of WSR as a pack is a diesel gala...

25. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

I actually don't have an issue with the editor release date. If Dovetail want to take their time to release it when its done... or when it aligns suitable with their development plans... I don't have a problem with it.

What I do have a problem is how the editor, and the content from TSW2020 should have been in TSW from day one... and really should not have been released so early. I think alot of people saw the magic and potential of the original CSX route... which lasted maybe 2 additional DLC. After that... the additional releases have short, buggy, desolate and have choked out the high expectations for the game. Say if the editor comes out September at the earliest. It's going to take months for the third-party community to actually produce something. Realistically, we won't see any truely unique concepts untill 2020/2021.

I'm aware people will latch onto negativity quite easily and that can be quite hard towards developers... but I also can't help but wonder if Dovetail like to shoot themselves in the foot.

• Like Like x 3
  26. ARuscoe

They already can in blender etc. What they can't do is incorporate it into the game or set it out into routes. Content has been able to be created with the default tools for months as stated in various vids and shown by the reskins already available

• Like Like x 2
  27. Delta_Who

Delta_Who Well-Known Member

Produce as in the final exported route. I'm more than aware of 3D development.

28. ARuscoe

Then there's loads that CAN be produced ready for implementation...

29. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I disagree. I may like to use other stock, other time scheduels, maybe a sunday or a holiday, or even a day with far less than 24 hours filled with traffic. It would be awesome to implement a schedule with far more unexpected events, broken trains, delayed trains etcetera. The downside is that it is very much work to design such a schedule and we definitely need some tools to support that. I have some still vague ideas about what such tools should do. I think the classic scenario is dead, this Journey mode is far more interesting and exciting.

30. Matto140

That is not possibe in service/Journey mode.
    Only scenario mode can implement the extra problematic situation with its own timetable/gameword changes .
    AI trains don't have additional inteligence to be moved a to different track or wait at station till case is fixed. No artificial intelligence disparcher exist in TSW. Just stop with service on the line and traffic behind you stuck.
    Journey mode will be just upgrade of current service mode where you will be able to access the next service from walking mode. Similar marker as for scenario/tutorial appear on the map to know where you can continue jouney. Default journey mode will also be uneditable(read only) with editor to avoid compatibility issues from different creators. But everyone can copy it(create brand new) and customize according their own wish, but as separaded custom journey mode.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  31. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

You seem very certain of this. How much of what you said is (informed) speculation rather than facts?

32. jörgen Näslund

What does this have to do with the editor I wonder......

• Like Like x 2
  33. Matto140

@SamYeager270 facts are that everything what exist now will stay, scenarios/tutorials mode is mission type activity
    - completion lead to game menu, services are open word type activity - after completion you stay at game word but now you don't know what to do next.
    Other things are my thoughts, sorry for off topic!

34. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It probably is a horrible lot of work to create a well filled 24 hour time table. But, what I have seen is that DTG now simply copies services to a different start time. I think, with more effort though, that you can modify each individual service and create disruptions etcetera. Not everything will be possible, but I believe we can do a lot more that with TS2019. Looking forward to try these things ....

• Like Like x 3
  35. 37114

37114 Active Member

Completely agree. I’ve begun to worry that we’ll never see an editor which would be a tragedy and could well be the downfall of the game.

• Like Like x 3
  36. Fabrizio520

Fabrizio520 Guest

If you answer with silence the cases are three: either you don't have the courage to answer for your actions, or you don't give a LOVE about what you produce in others or you know exactly what you produce and you do it on purpose

37. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Perhaps "they" have better things to do, such as actually working on the editor instead of responding to every rumor, query, complaint, etc.?

• Like Like x 3
  38. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Not an excuse. While I am sure the staff responsible for working on the editor are doing that in one form or another, surely the staff responsible for social media and community interaction can fill in those of us here in the community on the progress of the game we've invested in.

• Like Like x 11
  39. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

So are you saying the team that are developing the editor are the ones who are responsible for answering queries on this forum?

• Like Like x 7
  40. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The social media and communication side of things, such a replying to queries in these forums, as well as the editor have totally independent teams, so they don’t have an effect on each other, no matter how busy they are.

Perhaps it’d be good if you did a little bit of research first instead of constantly trying to think of excuses for DTG and shooting down people when they are asking genuine questions?

• Like Like x 7
  41. Tomas9970

TrainSim-Matt can we please get an "Editor mini-updates" thread like the one I've mentioned above? People here really seem to want it.

• Like Like x 3
  42. Fabrizio520

Fabrizio520 Guest

Altrimenti ci arrabbiamo...:)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2019
  43. Motril

Motril New Member

Without an editor the game quickly becomes boring. It appears there is no revenue in the editor so no incentive to provide it. I and three friends no longer buy addons for TSW and will not until an editor is forthcoming. Maybe if more people did the same Dovetail maybe would put more effort into working on the editor

• Like Like x 5
  44. Fabrizio520

Fabrizio520 Guest

I agree.
    At the very least they could provide the status in which the editor is now.
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Like Like x 3
  45. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Hmm ... IMHO there is no status change since April - closed beta testing, works fine, when stability is guaranteed there'll follow the public beta test.

46. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

Shame they aren't as thourough when releasing buggy dlc's, still waiting for a fix or an update on how things are going with the crashing issue on Ntp six weeks after reporting it.

47. Tomas9970

Maybe we could boycott the TSW 2020 release. That could put some revenue behind the editor and make it more important for DTG.

48. kalteVollmilch

How do you want to do that? You get the upgrade to TSW 2020 for free, the only thing you can boycott is the new route

• Like Like x 2
  49. Tomas9970

I meant their new base package which also kinda covers the new route.

50. Matto140

TSW 2020 is just package name, game is still the same(+upgrade) for everyone who buy it as CSX: Heavy Haul time ago. Ony different routes are repacked now, because TSW without route doesn't exist (and even have no sense)

TSW 2020 is marketing for new customes, for old ones, it is just main update!