Staten Island Railway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by thearkerportian, Jun 6, 2019.

1. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

The Staten Island Railway runs along the majority of the east coast of Staten Island, New York. It is run by SIRT, who use a type of EMU they call the ME2 - which is in fact pretty much identic to the R44 of the NYC subway nearby.

Unlike the subway though, the SIR is cozy and a bit quaint and also slower. With 15 miles (23 km) in length, it would be rather on the short side admittedly, but still enjoyable thanks to the nature and setting of the route. Travel time from end to end is slightly over 40 on regular trains, express service are available during peak hours. Most of the SIR runs through wooded areas with an unsurpringinly coastal touch, only toward the Northern end at St. George the scereny turns a bit more urban - and downright maritime thanks to the last few stops being located almost directly on the coast.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 30
  2. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

That would definetly be an interesting route to see in the game and probably this where they should introduce conductor mode where the play can open and close the doors and make the annoucements for the trains.

• Like Like x 5
  3. thearkerportian

I'm not saying you're wrong, but they should have introduced conductor mode on the LIRR. At least considering the location of the door switches I have a hard time believing the driver is supposed to operate them. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. TrainHorn22

TrainHorn22 Active Member

Route is based on a Island that is Small compared to the boroughs, I don't like it, I LOVE IT!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thelonius16

Thelonius16 Well-Known Member

The do usually have at least one conductor to collect tickets and operate the doors.

However, the Washington DC metro has the same setup for door buttons. The driver operates them. Up until a few years ago, the driver only operated the doors and the train was computer controlled. You could see the driver stick his head out the window on the left, close the doors and the train would start up by itself before he had gotten all the way back to the right-hand seat.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Loyalty

Loyalty Well-Known Member

Hopefully this comes to life definitely deserves it stay outside the whole route with amazing Views to see the water and bridge off coast and houses on the side. plus I wish They had done this instead of Amtrak add-on bc definitely lacking a lot of service and things too do.

• Like Like x 2
  7. QNS Chris

QNS Chris Well-Known Member

GREAT suggestion! SIR seems to fit into the parameters of a TSW route - it's not overly lengthy, but long enough to maintain player interest, and easier to model given the forest / waterside scenery along the line. Additionally, it would be cool to explore the St. George ferry terminal after jumping out of an R44 fresh off the express from Tottenville.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GoldenTicket420

GoldenTicket420 Well-Known Member

What's up everyone Im down 4 this .That's my hometown .Check out NYC trains to guys .

• Like Like x 2
  9. GoldenTicket420

I like idea but no vote or mention of NYC R44- R63 or already posted similarly R68A on NYC D line .

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Loyalty

I would the rest of NYC subway lines but they mostly in the tunnel of most of their journey. It but amazing tho but TSW haven’t done a DLC with mostly tunnels station only the LIRR & Amtrak and Rapid Transit But they are very short sections. SIR is a perfect fit

• Like Like x 2
  11. GoldenTicket420

True that's why i chose The Q and D have even amount of outside,tunnel and don't forget trainstations above ground 30-40ft.

• Like Like x 2
  12. QNS Chris

The D especially - the run from Norwood through homeball alley down CPW, up to the elevated portion in Brooklyn would be a spectacular route. The challenge would be to model every stop along the Concourse, CPW, 6th Ave, etc - loooooots of work.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GoldenTicket420

I agree but I'm pretty sure they can always just make the line shorterI would not mind that at all.after LIRR I think it's really possible . check out NYC r42 Post since you look at those videos it's just an idea of what can be done and just a little idea what it may look like

• Like Like x 1
  14. QNS Chris

They could shorten it, maybe go BX to Grand St or 125 to BK. I agree with your position on LIRR, even though it's shortened, they still did a tremendous job on it. I take the Port Wash to work every day, and playing the route in TSW (especially Woodside to Penn) makes me feel like I'm actually there.

Checked out the vids you sent re: NYCT on OpenBVE -- LOVE OpenBVE and the active developer community which has contributed so much. I've been playing BVE for over a decade now, and it's truly amazing to see how far it's come along from the days when the only NYCT route available was the 7 train.

Have you played any of the World of Subways franchise? PATH and the 7 are both featured

• Like Like x 1
  15. GoldenTicket420

No but now i want to play those Lol .I don't have gaming laptop,that's why i want to see NYC on console.We are missing out on an spectacular experience,well in my opinion :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. QNS Chris

The PATH route is relatively low-res (released circa 2008)...I was able to play it on my work laptop, you might be able to play on a non-gaming laptop / PC depending on the specs. It's a good one - uses the pre-NTT PATH trainsets (PA1, PA2, PA3), and is pretty well-detailed for its time.

That said, I too hope that TSW features an NYCT route at some point...I know they'd knock it outta the park!!

What do you think about the TSW doing the L train? Being as it's one of two contained lines (the other being the 7), it's not overly long (<20 miles) and it has a diversity of scenery (tunnel, el, at-grade), it seems manageable from a development perspective. Two different train modes (CBTC and manual), they could add the legacy R42s in addition to the R143s.

• Like Like x 2
  17. GoldenTicket420

I would love that 2 or really anything mta related Lol,at least for a NYC Dlc

• Like Like x 1
  18. Loyalty

That’s True one of my favorite is the Brighton line in Brooklyn hopefully they give us this or a different subway line in nyc I’ll be happy. NYC got the best Subway trains in the USA and the world as well. The only place that almost got similarities like us is Chicago Subway trains.

• Like Like x 2
  19. QNS Chris

Best in the world, baby!! Cant touch NYCT - BMT, IND, and IRT are the kings, and they always will be.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Loyalty

Facts they are king no matter much people don’t like NYC Subway trains they are special without them nyc wouldn’t be New York City lol very unique.

• Like Like x 2
  21. QNS Chris

It wouldn't be our city without the subway. It's far from perfect, and there's a lot of work which needs to be done, nevertheless - there is no feeling comparable to cruising at 50mph under Broadway, racing past local stops on a BK bound 3 train. Love those R62s.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Noodle

Noodle New Member

I dont normally like it when people pop into a thread just to "poo-poo" on someone's idea, but I feel compelled to oppose the idea of MORE New York City content. It's too much already. There are many other places across America which are more deserving of content.

23. QNS Chris

<sigh> There's always one...

24. Loyalty

Yeah true I do like the R62/A as well they going get replaced in 2025-2030.

• Like Like x 1
  25. QNS Chris

That will be a sad day, like it was saying goodbye to the Redbirds. Any idea what the replacement R262s are gonna look like?

• Like Like x 1
  26. Loyalty

Omg yeah Facts I know what R262s going look like it’s just a sketch not official yet but can be the potential look, it’s save to say they gunna look amazing. I miss the RedBirds I wish they last longer. I don’t not like how the MTA is making all they trains look they same now R143s R160A/Bs R179 they have a lil different between them but still have they same look Triplelets lol

• Like Like x 1
  27. thearkerportian

Thread hijacking anyone?

• Like Like x 1
  28. QNS Chris

You're not wrong.
    Back on track (hehe) - SIR would be awesome. Different service modes (express, local), the disused Ball Park stop, plus the advent of the R211...when that happens...

29. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Shame it was never connected to Brooklyn subway

• Like Like x 1
  30. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Staten Island Railway, is operated by MTA NYCT (New York City Transit) it uses the R44’s.

Would love to see this in the game.

31. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Um, only the R44 runs on SIR

32. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Seeing the siding in one of those pictures made me curious what they use to access those unnelectrified parts.
    SIR uses a variant of the BL20GH locomotive that is used by Metro-North. SIR has four BL20G locomotives which they use for work on the railroad and locomotive rescues.

SIR seems like the right scale to quickly give TSW2 a railway that is not only a complete route, but complete in terms of locomotive stock. Just like what is so great about Peninsula Corridor and its content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookville_BL20GH
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  33. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

I love the idea of having Staten island railway in TSW!
    Actually, there's usually a minimum of two conductors. A Conductor (fare collection and door operation) and an Assistant Conductor (fare collection and platform observation). On longer peak trains (rush hours), usually 12-car consists, you'll sometimes see a conductor and three assistant conductors, with each one collecting fares for three cars each.
    I ride the LIRR a lot!

• Like Like x 1