PlayStation Protecting Your Game Disk For The Future

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TinTin_57, Jul 27, 2019.

1. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

The TSW2020 announcements have also got me thinking about my original TSW game disk.

I tend to buy games on disk rather than digital download and as I am assuming each year there is a core update to the game as we will get on Aug 15th what would happen if we ever get damage to the original release TSW disk?

Console players need the disk in the drive to run the game, if our disk is damaged or unreadable for some reason by the time we are on TSW2025 how would we even find an original disk replacement to allow us to run the game?

Maybe I am thinking of worst case scenario but I wonder if there would be a replacement option available.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Would have to purchase the core game again. At the moment that would be a bluray disc or download , in future it would be only TSW 2025 digital download Im guessing. The dlc routes you already had would be updated and compatible. The only loss would be having to buy the core game again and may have a route included that youve previously bought. The biggest aspect of looking after your collection would be keeping your PSN account going.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  3. TinTin_57

Correct. But whereas now our core game disc is TSW and that needs to be in the drive, those TSW disks will be scarce if not impossible to find 5 years down the line unless you can run it also with a later version disc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Yes, thats what our free update will be doing. Effectively upgrading our base game to tsw2020.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Do we need to buy a new disc for TSW2020

6. TinTin_57

What I mean to say is usually your disk will need to last you 1-2 years generally. In our case here even though we will get a free core update each year, the day you scratch your disk up you will have to get another to allow it to play. If this is 10 years down the line, would any of the future discs allow it to run also because you will never find an original TSW by then

7. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

That's not the point there making. The update is free yes, but it's not on disc. Then he would have to buy Train Sim World all over again if the disc breaks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Big Papi34

No the update will be free even for disc.

9. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

My guess would be as long as tsw is out on PlayStation in 2025 or 2040 they still will sell discs

10. TinTin_57

The original disc tho? I doubt it. If after the 15th August update we still need the ‘original’ release disc to play it, same will apply in 2040 and like I said, you won’t find an original then unless the British Museum have one.

If we have spent £1000’s by then it’s an important point

11. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

First off they probably won't support the PS4 until 2040.Even if tsw is still a thing at this time it would be an upgraded version for one of the next gen consoles.

Given how consoles work, they will stop at some point to bring routes to PS4 and you have to get (given that the Console market is still relevant for them) a next gen version of the game to get newer routes. This won't be in the next 2 years but maybe in 3 or 4 or so. (just a speculated guess)

About your disc issue, it's the same with every game. You need to rebuy it if you break it, it might just be given the time that you need to say goodbye to the disc and need to get the digital version. DLC, progress will transfer.
    On the other site some shops might will have TSW disc's laying around that you can get even in a few years.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  12. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

Discs are completely irrelevant in this day and age, you don't need to cling to a coaster for piece of mind. Your digital games are safe, don't worry.

13. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

But next year comes the PS5 but they allow us to play PS4 games, I bought all digital from TSW, so i Must Download all buying contest again on my PS5 Hardware

14. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Hey guys, as far as I'm aware there will be no disc version of TSW2020. I will double check tomorrow, but this is the info I've got at the moment and I doubt it would change.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

I beg to differ. I can't hold a digital item in my hand, and therefore don't feel that it is mine. Inspired by the likes of Youtubers such as 'MetalJesusRules', I want to build up a collection of games, and I want to be able to say "I bought this game, I bought this game, I bought this one in it's limited collectors form". Can't do that with digital. Basically, I dislike digital. If I have the choice, I go with the physical release. Same goes with DVDs and moreso with books, where one can admire the artwork and where classic editions have real value.

Just my pennies worth.

• Like Like x 5
  16. xD 2Bad4You

Lets not turn that into a discussion about digital vs physical. There are good reason for anyone to go with one route or another

• Like Like x 1
  17. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

There definitely won't be a disc version on launch, it MAY happen somewhere much later, however the digital version is the best way to get TSW 2020.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

So will I still need my disc to play or will upgrading to TSW2020 dispense with the need to have the disc in the machine?

19. xD 2Bad4You

You will still need the Disc if you have the original Disc Version. Otherwise you could just pass the Disc around, get the free 2020 update and you could play the game without buying it.

20. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Sony/Microsoft requires you to have the disc in your drive to confirm ownership so you will still need the disc to access the game even once updated.

Your separately purchased Add-Ons are tied to your PSN/Microsoft account and will continue to work even if you switched from owning a physical copy to a digital one for a different year so in the eventuality that your disc is destroyed and a physical copy is not available all you would need to do is purchase a digital version of the game for whatever the present year is.

You may, however, lose access to the routes which were included with your physical copy of TSW as these were included with the disc rather than being tied to your account.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  21. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I'm sure it could be linked in some way. No doubt every disc has a unique "identifier", so only one upgrade for a particular disc would be permitted? In which case the upgrade could be verified and the disc could be discarded? Probably wishful thinking on my part and not based on any knowledge of discs!

22. TrainSim-Daniel

Discs are mass-produced and as far as I am aware do not have a unique identifier or serial number if they did then companies could ban a disc when a user breaches their terms rather than just their username.

23. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

After doing a bit of research I think the technology is there and Microsoft were even touting that you could discard the disc. It rings a bell now:

"The other thing is that Microsoft wanted this exact same thing when the Xbox One launched, they wanted to allow you to install the game and then literally throw the disc away, but it was all done by the system and didn't need codes, the only downside was that you had to sign into Xbox Live once every 24 hours. What was even better was that because publishers would gain sales (fewer games traded in) publishers were apparently going to allow the owner of the game to "share" it with some of their friends (ten was being mentioned before launch).

Unfortunately none of this happened because a certain set of people read in the news reports afterwards DRM!!!!! and instantly cancelled their pre-orders and swapped sides to the PS4.

So to the original poster, this will never never never never never ever happen, purely because Microsoft tried it once, and lost a huge amount of sales."

Sourced from the discussion here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...tal-copy/1a6c52cf-5e10-409a-b54a-0164c0883bff

24. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Why you not bought the game digital when you worry about a broken Disc?

I bought it digital because it was in Sale on PS4 and the download was over 10 hours, it was my first digital Game, the rest is only as Disc, so I can sell it secondhand

25. Big Papi34

I honestly hate digital games. My Xbox has a habit of deleting my games and takes me forever to get them back.

26. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I bought the disc as it was half price on Amazon. Not being familiar with DTG and not having Train Sim, I didn't think there might be a TSW2020 as it was just called TSW not TSW2018/TSW2019. I guess I didn't realise the potential investment that could accrue with DLCs or that I might have to rely on the disc to function for a number of years. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  27. HopesAnchor131

HopesAnchor131 Active Member

I purchased digital because I know I'll be playing it for many years to come. I only tend to buy digital for games I know that I'm going to get 100s if not 1000s of hours out of and constantly being added to.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Big Papi34

Same here.

29. xD 2Bad4You

MS wanted to do that kind of thing with the launch of the current gen. Unfortunately people protested against it and they had to back out of that. Because you wouldnt be able to sell your Gamedisc anymore.
    I would have liked it that way, that i can purchase a DISC and as long as i go online every 24h i could play the game without the Disc.

So currently unfortunately we have the situation on every Console that Disc is Disc and Digitial is Digital, meaning that those things cant be mixed. Maybe next gen the people are ready for it.

• Like Like x 1
  30. TinTin_57

Not worrying, asking a practical question when the game as we know it now will not exist come 15th August. Digital people will always have access to the latest digital version so it’s not an issue. But had many of us that bought the disk be told then that the disk is useful for 1 year only then TSW will be a new game we may have thought different. If we get a disk issue after 15th August we will have to rebuy it digitally but as above we will have paid double AND no longer have access to Rapid Transit or NEC (and I have the recent Amtrak DLC for NEC)

I’ve not played train sims before so I would never have known the game would go on years and years. I would hope DTG would consider replacement for disc users on a case by case basis if there was ever an issue, maybe based on how much additional has already been spent on DLC by that individual.

A better option would have been to have had this digital only from the start. I’m a little nervous that I have already spent over £220 on this game in a year and I can potentially lose routes I bought in good faith at the start because 2020 doesn’t contain them if I ever have to reload digitally

• Like Like x 2
  31. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

When it swaps over to TSW2020 on the Playstore NEC and Rapid Transit are supposed to become DLC. When they do have a look to see if it says purchased next to them. If it does you should be ok to download them again if you ever had to go all digital.

The core game is actually on offer at the moment for £16 on the PS Uk store.

32. TinTin_57

It was just TrainSim-Daniel saying we ‘may’ lose access to routes on the original disc that are no longer part of the base game. You’re right though, I’ll check as soon as RT and NEC are up as DLC

• Like Like x 1
  33. TheCadManFan

TheCadManFan Well-Known Member

Whoa whoa whoa, wait a minute, what? May loose routes. 'May' isn't good enough. Either we are, or we aren't, and if we are, why? If it's a matter of no longer having access to a route, can we have a clarification on this before the update?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  34. TrainSim-Daniel

The routes are stored on the disc. The may is if you lose your disc and buy a digital copy of TSW2020 you won't have the rotues you had on disc anymore.

35. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

But he can buy TSW again as Digital Game before August 15 on sale

36. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i bought the original disc and payed full price for it. i hope we dont lose routes.

37. TrainSim-Daniel

You'll only lose access to previous routes if you lose or sell your disc.

• Like Like x 1
  38. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I suppose that goes for anything really, if something breaks you haven't got it anymore.

But... As a matter of interest what will happen to the digital version when the PS5 comes out? Now presuming it is backwards compatible you'll have to download and install from fresh. But of cause the original won't be available it'll be TSW20xx with extra/different routes which maybe we haven't got, so what will happen then? Do we lose complete access to everything and have to repurchase?

And if it's not backwards compatible!!??

• Like Like x 2
  39. TinTin_57

Correct, but the point here is that you shouldn’t really have to buy something twice unless it was clearly stated at the start that this would happen. We could have made a more informed choice if it had.

I don’t know how I feel about this. Since I realised we could get this issue though it has left a sour taste in my mouth given all the investment I’ve made.

Once again this model works on PC who download everything from steam but for consoles having a disc version of something is an option a lot of us opt for. Plus digital games are quite often more expensive than a disc.

• Like Like x 1
  40. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

There is a PC disk version. I wonder what happens there? Although the problem I mentioned in the post above doesn't really apply to them since they have steady upgrades instead of complete new hardware.

41. Dave Mel

im like you Tintin i bought the original disc for full price. all the dlcs i have on an external hard drive. i must have paid well over £220 for everything as i dont wait for sales. i buy as soon as the dlcs are released.

42. TrainSim-Daniel

I'm not quite sure what your concern is and how TSW differs from any other game on console?

• Like Like x 1
  43. Dave Mel

am i thinking once tsw upgrades to digital our discs become obsolete not long after unless we buy the digital upgrade and pay more

44. TrainSim-Daniel

Your disc still gives you access to the game and the included Add-Ons. Nobody is asking you to buy anything again, you get exactly the same updates as the digital version and continued access to what you have purchased.

If you would prefer not to update the game then you can turn off updates I believe.

• Like Like x 2
  45. TinTin_57

If your disk is damaged you will lose stuff, that’s all. Namely RT and NEC, and then of course any DLC you bought for those routes will be useless.

If you find a replacement disc you are fine but my point was after 15th August you won’t see that original disc in the shop. You would then have to buy TSW 2020 digitally which has NTP, MSB, GWE and LIRR as the standard routes. You and I have all of those anyway Dave. You would then also have to buy RT and NEC again because your disc version was never actually tied to your id. Your digital DLC’s are however.

What DTG are trying to say in this thread is it’s no different to other console games in that if your disc is damaged is your own fault, cough up again. It’s easy to recall the threads last year where console users were asking about a season pass for routes. I think this goes to show that many of us did not think the game would potentially go on for years and would follow a typical console game life cycle.

We may as well close the thread, I think we have the answer on it.

Dave Mel just handle your game disk with the silk gloves from now on or it will cost you is the bottom line

• Like Like x 1
  46. xD 2Bad4You

I'm sorry but I don't really understand the fuss about it.

If you loose, sell or break your disc it's the players own fault.
    It's with every game, music CD, Blu-ray movie you buy.

And I highly doubt that you won't find any original TSW disc anymore going forward from August 15th in certain shops. Old disc version hang mostly around longer.

So if you are really feared that you brake your disc, I would advice to buy a second one or get the game now on Sale digital.

Not because DTG forces you to rebuy, no because you are concerned you will break it.

What happens on PS5? Well the same with every game, digital or physical.
    You have to hope that it's bc from the beginning of the new gen. You insert the Disc or download the digital version again from the store, depending on what you bought. After that all content included on Disc will be there and you can play it. It will grab the latest patch version, TSW 2020 / 2021 or what ever it's called by that time for free.
    Your profile might also transfer if the PS4 allows Cloud storage for User profiles like its on Xbox.

It's really the same with every game that contains content on Disc. I really can't see the issue here.

• Like Like x 2
  47. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is suggesting that damage caused by the user is the fault of others. Merely that discs do fail through no fault of the user and there is a risk associated with that and disc age increases the risk. With other games that evolve such as Black Ops, a new disc is produced with each iteration. These obviously cost money, so you could reasonably argue that there is a saving by having a free TSW2020 upgrade instead of having to buy a TSW2020 game as you would for Black Ops. But that doesn't really cover the loss of the original TSW routes so it's a different problem....I think.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  48. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

1-2 years? Wow, how badly do you treat discs?
    I still have PS2 discs that are near mint and have been played for many hours

• Like Like x 1
  49. TinTin_57

I was of course talking about the typical lifecycle of a game

50. Infinity Explorer

Infinity Explorer Member

(Train_Guy_395 why you downvote my post? After this “fantastic” community experience, I’m leaving this forums)

Talking about this topic, a normal game has only 1-2 years lifecycle, so Yeah we can see TSW: 2021... like FiIFA.