Portsmouth Direct Line + Island Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by beaker998, Jul 28, 2019.

1. beaker998

beaker998 Member

The Portsmouth Direct Line (Operated by SWR) has been used often in TS and been shown to be popular. There are lots of options for locos / rolling stock:
    • Class 450 - Currently the main Stock used on the line.
    • Class 444 - Used on some services.
    • Class 442 - Not currently used on the line but SWR has plans to reuse these trains - replacing the 450.
    The Island line runs from Ryde Pier Head to Shanklin on the IOW and uses 1938 Tube Stock - an interesting addition to TSW.

Separate, these lines would both create good routes for TSW. However, there is a direct link between the two terminuses of these lines - the Whitlink Fast Cat. This could be used to make the line longer - joining the two by either having a loading screen at a specific point at Portsmouth Harbour or Ryde Pier Head. Alternatively, the Fast Cat could be used as an explorable boat in-game.

Overall, this would create a wonderful line that would add new features - opening the door for more options for transport types. Personally, I would love to see this route on TSW as I am a console player and have wanted to play this route for a while just not able to due to not having the right computer requirements for TS19. I have included some photos of trains and the ferry. upload_2019-7-28_18-30-1.jpeg upload_2019-7-28_18-30-34.jpeg
    Class 444 Class 442
    upload_2019-7-28_18-30-55.jpeg upload_2019-7-28_18-31-33.jpeg
    Class 450 1938 Tube Stock
    upload_2019-7-28_18-32-5.jpeg
    Wightlink Fast Cat

• Like Like x 5
  2. beaker998

beaker998 Member

Sorry about the strange formatting on this post.

3. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

Problem with this is not only the length but also Clapham Junction, the game couldn’t cope with the sheer amount of trains passing through and reducing the number significantly would be pretty unrealistic.

4. beaker998

beaker998 Member

It could just be the route from Guildford or Woking to Portsmouth rather than the whole mainline.
    Officially the line only runs as far as Woking before joining the South Western Mainline (Which runs from Waterloo to Weymouth).

5. MadEdders

MadEdders Active Member

Having the Island Line is 100% worth it for the 1938 stock alone as well for the scenery (driving from Ryde Pier Head to centre of town would be awesome!). Length though is an issue, you could also have the IOW railway as well, but that doesn't really pad it out. I say the best option is too leave it there and sell it for a discounted price. I do like your idea of having the hovercraft to Portsmouth, but I don't think many people would be too keen on operating one in a railway simulation.

6. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

True on the one hand, but then again I must say, I always found it a pity that there is no decent and state of the art ship simulator whatsoever. The folks over at Titanic: Honor & Glory are considering to implement a Captain Mode, maybe that could evolve into a ship simulator spinoff eventually. Would probably be in UE4 as well. ShipSimWorld might be nice as well of course. I absolutely wouldn't mind if I just spoiled something I wasn't supposed to by making that up. :D

(Edit: Typos fixed)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1