Train Sim World 2020 – In Detail

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Jul 26, 2019.

1. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Fun completely irrelevant fact: when Caltrain electrifies in 2022, only the 3 F40PH-2C will remain along with the 6 MP36PH-3C and all the bombardier cars (but none of the gallery cars) to operate services on the unelectrified section to Gilroy.

And yeah, as Anthony said, probably just an alerter. Although it is busy, there is no cab signaling systems of any kind on the Peninsula Corridor right now. They are working to install PTC, though, along with the rest of the country- eventually DTG's gonna have to model that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Caltrain electrification makes this DLC route and F40PH fleet a historical relict ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

No one said anything about Connecticut shoreline. It was stated for the main purpose of Amtrak. If you want all these railroads you state go make threads on them instead of annoyingly butting in on threads that have no connection to what you want.

• Like Like x 4
  4. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

You understand it wrong, I said a rebuild GP38 want better so we can drive freight service, because no GP38 means no freight train on Peninsula Corridor

5. raildan

Well, not for another 3 years... but I can hear people begging for an electrified version in 3 years like they do with GWE now already.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Big Papi34

That is my misunderstanding. Oops

7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm puzzled: why do you submit so many of your posts more than once?

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. Big Papi34

I didn't mean to. I have bad internet so sometimes it doesn't show up. Other times is says wait 30 seconds and after 30 seconds I post it and it shows 2. I exited the forums after posting this so I just now saw there was 3 instead of 1.

• Like Like x 2
  9. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I really think the updates to the scoring system and re-working the scenarios into a more seem less experience seem like really great updates so I’m very excited to jump into the routes I’ve been driving to see how it’s changed. As for the new route I have been looking forward to a USA route for a long time, finding out that it is located on the west coast was very exciting to hear. The one thing that worries me from the pictures released is that I don’t see any freight trains. I’ve enjoyed passenger only routes such as LIRR and Rapid transit but a big part of excitement for a USA route was being able to drive passenger and freight trains. If the new Caltrain route doesn’t include freight I think not only myself but a big part of the community will be let down. If this route doesn’t include freight I hope that a freight expansion for LIRR is in the works.

• Like Like x 5
  10. matthewbguilford

42BE3EA3-7E07-43C0-901C-42F6235EBE01.png DD320D58-725F-46FE-8053-A4372279B270.png My only hope is that the trailer for Train Simulator 2019 “Peninsula Corridor” shows off a couple more locomotives that we have not seen in pictures released for the new route. These are from that trailer.

• Like Like x 2
  11. raildan

No, those don't prove anything about TSW. Those are for the TS19 route, since that's the rolling stock it came with.

Personally I'd guess that there will be a GP38-2 with this TSW version of the route, but not the MP36, as I think DTG will see that as a great opportunity for a loco DLC since it could also add "Baby Bullet" Express services.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. matthewbguilford

Well
    I agree that those do not prove anything for TSW, but I can still hope that they are included!

• Like Like x 1
  13. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

It’s all about the money :(

It want Always better to get multiple passenger trains for 30€ routes and not for a later time for another 14€

• Like Like x 1
  14. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

Don't the leaked Steam achievements unfortunately more or less confirm no freight though? There's only one loco listed for tutorials for a start. Really hoping freight is included, will be gutted if not.

15. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

The SD70ACE-T4, in my opinion, is a must have if UPRR is included with the CalTrain route. Since it is a modern locomotive, maybe we might see a "Union Pacific Heavy Haul" with the Peninsula Corridor!

16. matthewbguilford

• SFJ: The Fog Has Lifted - Complete all Tutorials
    • this was taken from TSW wiki. I guess we will find out for sure soon!

17. Big Papi34

What about the "move a mountain" achievement. It's a pretty obvious hint towards the dirt trains that run this line.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

It’s only 15 days left until the Peninsula Corridor comes out, I’m hyped :) I’m disappointed if the GP38 Freight Locomotive or the MP36 are missing, because that’s the same problem as the LIRR then, it’s boring to drive only with one train the route over and over again. That’s why people are waiting for more LIRR trains as DLC

• Like Like x 3
  19. raildan

As Big Papi34 says here, not really- in fact, the achievements are really the main reason we think freight might be included to begin with.

• Like Like x 2
  20. raildan

Also interesting is that this doesn't prove there's a GP38-2 because there's probably a cabcar tutorial too.

Just so this post isn't completely spam, here's a few neat things about the trains on the route that I hope will be included.

First off, they better have the train number thingy on the sides of the Caltrain cabcars and locomotives. The British equivalent (headcodes) has been modeled before, though only the Class 33 had a changeable one. I'm talking about this (right side is the rolling stock we're getting):

[​IMG]
    (By Top left:file:Caltrain Baby Bullet.JPG: snty-tactTop right:file:Front of Caltrain.JPG: snty-tactBottom left:File:Lawrence station 1794 09.JPG: Pedro XingBottom right:File:Lawrence-station.png: AkosSzoboszlayderivative work: Mliu92 - Top left:file:Caltrain Baby Bullet.JPGTop right:file:Front of Caltrain.JPGBottom left:File:Lawrence station 1794 09.JPGBottom right:File:Lawrence-station.png, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=39415685 I don't know, this is how Wikimedia wanted me to attribute this to the aurthor)

Similarly, I hope the bike thingy can be changed. We already can see it in the few shots we have of it, but it doesn't look different in any of them.

Lastly, I just want to say the cab car that will be included is pretty cool. First off, just like the Metroliner cab car, it is a beautiful jumbled cramped mess of controls and I love it (I think I would have a different opinion if I actually had to drive one of these every day in real life, lol). But even more interesting then that, notice where the windows are- the driver is on the upper floor! That's going to be an interesting perspective to drive from, especially in TSW.

[​IMG]
    (By mliu92 from San Mateo - Control cab, Nippon Sharyo JPBX 4018 (B End). Car was running as a bike trailer, door was left unlatched., CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=66322997)

(Also note that this cab car is coupled to another coach. As the description says, this was running as a "bike trailer" to provide extra room for bikes since the cab cars have more room for them. I wonder if this could make it to service mode?)

Actually NVM, just one more thing now that I think about it: the whole gallery car layout. Basically, the idea behind this is that in a normal bilevel car, the conductor would have to check tickets on the lower floor and then check tickets on the upper floor, taking twice as long as checking single floor cars. So, on a gallery car, the upper level doesn't have a center aisle, instead there's just a big empty space in the middle so the conductor can reach both levels from the lower floor. The cars modeled (and shown in the screenshot) are gallery cars!

[​IMG]
    (By User:Snty-tact - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=320939
    ws)

And no, IDK why I like seeing cramped spaces in TSW lol, it's just interesting and almost more immersive somehow.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  21. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

Probably PTC since the FRA has made it a federal requirement for all RRs across the country

• Like Like x 1
  22. raildan

Actually there are two deadlines, one for 2018 and one for 2020, and I believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here) that Caltrain has some sort of waiver (?) to operate without PTC until 2022 so they don't have to waste money installing PTC on their diesel fleet when most of it will be replaced by new, PTC-compatible EMU's.

And not all RR's need PTC, just ones with high levels of traffic according to fairly complicated criteria.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

Caltrain isn't getting rid of their entire diesel fleet, probably just their oldest F40s. The F40PH-2Cs and MP36s will stick around to provide service from Tamien to Gilroy since that portion is yet to be confirmed for electrification. Those units will receive PTC equipment at some point soon, if they haven't already.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

It would be best if DTG declare the era represented in upcoming SFJ route.
    Railroad development is continuous proces and some old thing can persist long time but with reduced rate.

The electrification time is great opportunity to grab reference material (model, graphics, sounds) to conserve this part of railroad history before retire and become scrap.
    (don't think that most of redundant F40PH fleet will find new owner and decade in service ...)

25. raildan

Yeah, but those aren't being modeled here.

26. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Will we require a Bethesda.net account to play TSW 2020 though?

27. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

No you need the same things as you nned for current TSW

28. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

TSW2020 = TSW. It’s the same thing.

29. raildan

Bethesda doesn't own DTG? Or is this just a knock on TSW's bugs?

30. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Bethesda re-releasing old games but forcing players to login to their launcher is sort of a running gag on the internet atm.

So no worries, I was just kidding. :D

31. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

How do the passengers on the upper level get to their seats in those gallery cars? There doesn't seem to be any access with that railing and gap in the middle.

Double deck trains here in Aus are nothing like that so this just seems so bizarre to me

32. QNS Chris

QNS Chris Well-Known Member

There are very narrow stairs at each end of the car. The Nippon Sharyo gallery cars are unique compared to other bi-level cars due to the fact that the upstairs seating is more of a balcony on either side looking down to the ground floor of the train. I believe these cars are only in use in the US - Metra in Chicago, Virginia Railway Express in VA/DC, and Caltrain.

EDIT: These cars are also in use on the South Shore Line, which runs between Chicago and South Bend, Indiana.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  33. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

But what’s the point at the upper level of that huge gap ? There’s less seats and space for standing people and it’s ironic for a commonly loaded commuter commuter train I never saw that where I live.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I guess I'll see in the DLC...but in that pic posted by Raildan it has the illusion of no gap on either side of the seats...but obviously there must be one on the other side. It's just weird to me not sitting against the windows.

• Like Like x 1
  35. QNS Chris

upload_2019-8-1_17-24-39.png
    Verrrry narrow. These cars have always struck me as being a bit claustrophobic.

Picture source: Wikipedia, Yukihiro Matsuda, 2001

36. QNS Chris

I've always wondered the same thing. The setup allows for only one row of seats per side, whereas the majority of bi-level commuter trains have double seats on each side of the car.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Anthony Pecoraro

It’s so the conductors can take the tickets without going upstairs.

• Like Like x 2
  38. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I think that it's possible to delete one's own posts -- at least I've done that a couple of times after changing my mind about posting or replying,

39. QNS Chris

Thanks for the insight - that makes sense. Do the pax hand them / flash them to the conductor below?

• Like Like x 1
  40. raildan

Missed one- the Music City Star commuter rail service in Nashville, Tennessee uses older (Ex-C&NW) gallery cars bought secondhand from Metra, probably just because they were cheap.

And then there's the commuter rail operators before Metra and Caltrain. Southern Pacific operated the Peninsula Corridor route first, and they also had gallery cars. Metra, originally just the RTA, succeeded multiple commuter operations that all used gallery cars- Chicago & Northwestern (the first railroad to use gallery cars), Chicago, Burlington & Quincy (later Burlington Northern), Illinois Central, Rock Island, and the Milwaukee Road all used gallery cars, some of which as early as the 1950's.

Also worth mentioning is that the state of Michigan bought some more old gallery cars (Ex-CB&Q) for a planned commuter or regional rail service between Detroit and Ann Arbor, Michigan. These were actually painted for the new service and everything, but (after delays, I think?) the service isn't going to be ready until 2022, so they're kinda.... sitting around?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  41. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Interesting, so the corridor is on the railing/gap side....in that other pic, it didnt look like there was a gap on that side at all. Very tight fit indeed and not suitable for larger people at all is it..... lol

Very odd

• Like Like x 1
  42. QNS Chris

Nice history! Thanks again for the background, always cool to know the origins / iterations of these routes. In Michigan, is it the SEMCOG commuter rail, or something like that (pic below)? Interesting paint scheme...

I always forget about the Music City Star, kind of like the Railrunner in Albuquerque. It's one of those "huh! they have trains!" moments in my head. Speaking of Nashville, pity that the light rail plan fell through - that was an ambitious proposal, the likes of which haven't been seen in any American city since LA's investment in rail transit.

[​IMG]

Picture source: Detroit Metro Times, 2014

• Like Like x 1
  43. QNS Chris

Even for smaller people, that's a tight space! The car looks like a jungle gym with the overhead railings and bag storage spaces - calisthenics and my morning commute, all in one!

44. Big Papi34

I deleted the other accidental post.

45. raildan

Yup, I kinda liked it until I noticed the fake shiny thing behind the reporting mark and logo. Who thought that was a good idea?

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about both those operations, lol. I've been to Nashville twice and I STILL forgot about it. I mean, at least they exist, that's a good thing, right? But... 2 car commuter trains... what...

And actually, I haven't heard of the Nashville light rail project. I have something to google now. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  46. QNS Chris

I suppose it's a good thing? Last I checked (7-8 years ago, mind you) daily ridership on the Music City line was in the hundreds...hope it proves to be an effective investment, who knows.

Yeah - the MiTrain branding looks like it was designed in PowerPoint for a middle school graphics design project (no offense, Detroit!)

From what I read, the Nashville project would have been a hub-and-spoke style system, had a subway through the downtown core, extensive reach into the suburbs, and would've mixed light rail, BRT, and commuter rail (Music City Star?). Price tag was somewhere in the $6-8 billion range, which is on the lower end of transit estimates. It eventually was shot down on referendum by a campaign against transit in the city, and became mired in a corruption scandal with the sitting mayor who proposed it (who eventually stepped down).

Speaking of transformational projects, I forgot to mention Denver - their level of rail transit / transit development is truly impressive. Love the Hyundai Rotem Silverliner V cars on the DFW Airport and commuter rail lines.

• Like Like x 1
  47. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I think they import another USA Doppelstockwagen to TSW like the Soldier Summit Route from Amtrak with the F40 PH and Superliner Cars

upload_2019-8-2_0-58-34.jpeg

48. raildan

Woah, crazy. I think I heard about the extra commuter rail lines, but not the rest of it.

And yeah, Denver is a really good transit development success. It's easy to see all these complaints about broken crossing signals and delays, wonder why the commuter rail only runs with 2 car trains, and shove the whole thing off as a massive failure, but it's actually quite the opposite (from what I've heard, at least, never been there)! Union Station is bustling and important, the system continues to expand in all directions, the light rail network is the 5th largest in North America, and the commuter rail A-line has the second highest ridership per mile in the nation!

I've mentioned briefly that I think it would be neat to remodel some existing TSW routes set in the near future after the editor comes out (LIRR with M9's, 3 tracks, Grand Central Station; NEC with Metro-North to Penn Station and a nice, 4 track main south of New York with a second Hudson River tunnel; and of course now I could do an electrified Caltrain), but if I were to do a route not already modeled in TSW, the commuter rail part of Denver's transit as it would look like when completed would be an interesting network-style passenger route IMO.

This has gotten off-topic quick, hasn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  49. Anthony Pecoraro

Yes

• Like Like x 1
  50. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Nah they toss them down and just hope he catches them :P

• Like Like x 2