Bringing Up To 2d Map To Pause The Game

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kim1087, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Kim1087

Kim1087 Well-Known Member

At present when you bring up the map whether to change points in yards or check the path of the train, the train is still moving and that means the player is unable to cancel safety the systems like the DSD or AWS alarms (unless you exit the map).
    The train could start speeding meaning points get lost, or SPAD a red signal meaning its game over.

I am proposing that by bringing up the 2D map the game gets paused allowing the player time to check the map etc.

• Like Like x 4
  2. WiSchmo

WiSchmo Active Member

This is an amazingly simple and super helpful request.

+1

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not checked on TSW but it's true for TSx so if someone can check...
    In TSx you can pause in any camera view and move around, so if you can pause in map view then you would have the effect you wished.
    One caviat is that you cannot CHANGE camera views in TSx when paused, and the same may be true in TSW so to change views you would need to unpause, change camera and then repause

One reason I don't want it to necessarily pause every time you use the map is I tend to do a lot of shunting scenarios, setting things up three or four points ahead, and I do this whilst the shunter is coasting at 5 or 10 MPH, so to always have it paused in map view would mean I have more interminable waiting to have the shunter get where I want it to be

4. Kim1087

in TSW the only way to pause the game is by pressing ESC and bringing up the Save menu,

the option to pause the game while in the 2D map could be added as a function that can be turned ON/OFF in the setting so it's there if people want it

5. ARuscoe

6. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Since RT when "P" was asigned to pantograph this pages of manual required revision.
    Pause in 2D will be good addition!

7. ARuscoe

Not a surprise. Found a keystroke mistake in SWML manual yesterday (sent a ticket on that)

8. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I disagree. I like watching the trains move through the junctions on map view sometimes, and if there's a red light because of a train ahead, you can watch it on map mode to see when it's starting to move out of your way. If anything, maybe they could add the speed display over map mode so you can still monitor/adjust.

• Like Like x 1
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with you and will add another change suggestion: add labels for stations, yards, perhaps even tracks within yards (although it often seems that developers make up track labels as they go along, something I was often guilty of for my TS scenarios) to the 2D map.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Kim1087

DTG could also add a mini 2D map that could be used as an overlay in the same way we can bring up a mini task bar by pressing the 'T' key. this would allow being able to check and change points on the fly while still being able to drive the train.

• Like Like x 1
  11. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Since the community is somewhat split on that topic, I may be a good idea to give us a hotkey to pause the game, which would work in any view, including map. After all I agree it can be fun to watch activity along the route on the map, but sometimes I don't want to lose time while trying to find track #189 of that damn switchyard and all the switches leading there, so bein able to pause would be appreciated as well.

"Pause" would seem to be an appropriate hotkey.