Console Version Wishlist

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by xD 2Bad4You, Aug 17, 2019.

1. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

This is a Thread about Feature / Control Tweaks or similar. Things you wish they would consider to improve on the Console Versions of TSW.

This isnt meant as a Thread to suggest completely new features that Arent in the game or for Routes / Loco wishes. More for tweaks that would in your opinion make the Console Version a bit better.

I will start with the following things i would like to see:

- Xbox One X / PS4 Pro enhancements.
    More stable framerate, a bit better draw distance and maybe some improved cab texturing.
    That would be enough for me and in the range of possibility.

- Mouse + Keyboard Support.
    I know i´ve mentioned that a lot of times, but i really think the game is a good example for one that
    would benefit from this feature as an additional input method. Keyboard works partially already
    so i dont think that this should be a big task for experienced developers

- Ingame options to customize the HUD more.
    Turning off and on the HUD or removing certain things like the action points display and such.
    Making the HUD more transparent and options for the center dot. I think its possible in the PC Version
    and i would like to see those settings also in the Console Version.
    You can remove the HUD completely with a Keyboard but having more ingame options for Controller
    users aswell would be nice.

- Customize Controls or different presets
    Some people might want to swap RT / LT for power / brake depending on the Train they use to replicate
    how the Controls are in the train. Having an option to redefine the Controller bindings or at least
    selecting different presets wouldnt hurt for that.

- A Zoom option like on PC.
    Having the ability to zoom in to get a clearer look at the next signal or the Speedometer / brake pressure
    would help for HUD´less driving on Consoles. If you could adapt the feature from PC it would be nice.
    We currently can select different Camera Views, but that takes quite a while and you can easily miss a
    Signal you would need to acknowledge resulting in an Emergency Brake.
    Given the low textures in some occasions its sometimes hard to see your speed on the cab displays
    without selecting the camera view right infront of it.
    An adapted zoom function which loads the texture in a better more zoomed in quality without the time
    loss would be welcomed.

Thats all i have for now. Maybe edit later and add some additional things.

• Like Like x 1
  2. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

...said every feature request ever.

Seriously, I'm sure all these things are doable; it's a question of priorities. Taking advantage of the extra One X / Pro graphics grunt would be very nice indeed. I'm guessing if it was a simple checkbox you could tick in UE4, they would have done so by now. When the next-gen consoles come out, we may see some enhancements back-ported to the One X / Pro too. One nice improvement over the older consoles is that loading the world is a good deal faster, and presumably tile loading bandwidth is better too, so you see fewer dropped frames when triggering a tile load.

While mouse support would be nice, I can't see this being a big priority for console, simply because most console players don't have a mouse. If you're sitting on the sofa playing the game on your TV, a mouse doesn't really make sense. The keyboard, however, as you say, already works, and is quite useful for certain things that you can't do with the controller (fast camera switching, changing cabs, HUD toggles, and so on). I'm not aware of any keyboard controls that don't work with an Xbox, but if there are some, let me know. A small Bluetooth keyboard is actually reasonably convenient to use with a console in 'TV mode'.

The same HUD customisation options are available with a keyboard on console as on PC, as far as I'm aware. You can't turn points off on PC either.

Redefining the controller setup would be a nice feature indeed, though it's hard to think of many control mappings that would be better than what we have.

I agree zoom would be great. I don't think there's anywhere left to put it on the controller though!

One thing that occurs to me is that TSW console players need to have reasonably large TVs. The speedometer/instrument cluster is unreadable on a modest size TV from across the living room without the aid of binoculars. Of course, it's the same size as on a PC, where you're sitting comparatively much closer to the screen. The option to make it slightly larger would be welcome.

Another thing on many people's wishlists is making it easier to switch points in the map view. This is currently very fiddly with the controller, and even more so if you're doing it while the train is rolling at speed. Where switches are so close the screen markers actually overlap, it's basically impossible to select the correct one. I have lost a few trains to this issue. If the target area for each switch were larger, it would be a lot easier. Also, the track highlight that shows which way the switch is set disappears instantly; if it were to fade out over a slightly longer period, checking switches would be easier.

3. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Well i was specially talking about the Mouse + Keyboard Control on that point. And that shouldnt be a big task for them to get up and running. And from what i´ve seen there were quite a few people requesting this here on the Forums aswell.
    For me all the CTRL + 1-8 bindings never worked with a Keyboard. Only F1 to completely get rid of the HUD works, aswell as the Camera Positions and FPS Display.

For the zoom Function, of course there´s plenty space on the Controllers. Just look at games like PubG / Elite Dangerous. They have way more key bindings than TSW have. But i dont think we will ever get the zoom function.

4. garyd442

garyd442 New Member

I think the OP has covered a lot and I agree a more customisable hud or even a quick toggle hud display button. So we can enjoy taking some nice screenshots.
    My only gripe is a lot of the trains look empty. I would like to see more bums on seats. They magically appear when getting off at stations but when panning round on a journey I only see about 4 people in a carriage. I don’t care if they stay in the carriage the whole journey but give the impression of a busy train. I have even pulled carriages for a service from a depot and it has had people people in it.
    Also utilise the power of the X. I’m sure they can squeeze more performance out of the X compared to the S.
    Also still unsure of the new unlock door wheel. Sometimes tricky to open doors, I preferred the previous version. Just a simple hold left then either press left or right to open then again to close.
    But this new update is a step in the right direction so hopefully the devs can look at this post and take on some of the most requested feedback and implement them into the game in future updates.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Gamborg

Gamborg Active Member

+1 on the HUD customizations! I have requested this both here and through official channels. The best experience for me with TSW is when I can drive the train without the HUD (F1 on keyboard) but sometimes you need the clock or the next speed limit. Being able to turn everything else off including the center dot would add a great deal to the sense of realism in the simulator.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

What would also help is, and in train clock instead of it on the HUD, then with the hud off, use the in game timetable so you know ur on time etc

• Like Like x 1
  7. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

I would be fine with a more stable framerate. Make it as close to 60 fps as possible (like it is during most Training scenarios). That alone would be enough for me.

8. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

In the route to minehead from bishops lydeard work to improve the level crossings so that barriers actually go up and down like real level crossings also to have traffic waiting at level crossings and improvements to the signal boxes such as being able to see signalman and women and to be able to see signal box interiors such as looking at lever frames etc also be nice to see token block signalling on single track sections

9. steadfast

steadfast Member

Map the low tone of the horn to the bell button. Only US content so far has the bell. No UK trains need the bell button, but do have two tone horns so would be a useful improvement to aid realism. I'm pretty sure it was like this on the old train sim (TS20xx series)