Peninsula Corridor: San Francisco To San Jose - Bugs And Problems Thread

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CoyoteMan, Aug 16, 2019.

1. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

The "unofficial" bugs and issues thread for SFJ.

UP GP38-2:
    - Has issues with sounds galore. Random air hissing when using the bell that cuts in and out at times. Bell will also become "squirrely" sounding usually after initial loading (doppler glitch).
    - Engine sounds will permanently cut out at times with use of the horn or other factors (SKIP TO 1:27)

- Fuel Primer randomly gets permanently stuck (SKIP TO 1:05)

- Audio Occlusion breaks when going to outside view back to cab view

Caltrain F40PH:
    - Headlights output virtually no light.
    - HEP configuration switch works in opposites (see photo for better understanding)
    View attachment 16080 View attachment 16081

Caltrain Cab Car:

General Route:
    - World Ambient lighting is deemed by many as being slightly too bright both during the day and night.
    - Grade Crossing between Hayward Park and Hillsdale is inactive (gates up no lights). 20190815233416_1.jpg 20190815233435_1.jpg
    - San Francisco Station is regarded by many to be an FPS killer
    - Marker lights are not on by default upon loading a service. Player must run to back of the train and turn them on manually, which gets a bit frustrating :)

Scheduling Issues:
    So I need to preface this with some notes. Some issues with accuracy to the real Caltrain Schedule, which DTG is clearly trying to replicate, are caused my multiple factors. These factors can be that the AI are just really good, almost too good, at driving which puts them ahead of schedule. This is a non problem and I havent seen this cause conflicts to the traffic flow in TSW that would lead other services to go astray from their real life counter part. So, heres the list of issues Ive found so far :) Ive only checked Northbound trains so far.

- Train 309 is scheduled irl to arrive at Sunnyvale at 06:15. In TSW, the AI arrive at 06:18 thus the scheduled arrival in-game is set to 06:18. I believe this may be caused by the fact that theres a random 10MPH speed limit on the through tracks at San Jose station. Despite not going through the crossover junctions, the speed limit still drops to 10. When I ran the 309 whilst ignoring the 10mph limit there I was able to arrive perfectly at 06:15, just like the real schedule (while also following the signals correctly behind 2xx train).

- Train 365 has a 20 minute later arrival to Mountain View in TSW than its real life counterpart. The issue appears to be that Dispatch is trying to run the 365 all the way up the Southbound main. As a result, the 365 in TSW is required to sit and wait for several minutes. Then, once its cleared, it is ran up the opposing main to then stop, wait for 267 to pass, then cross over to the Northbound main. This then puts the 365 behind the slower 267 thus leading to the 20 minute difference to the real life counterpart (and painfully slow "baby bullet" in game).

(Continued)
    The problem can be resolved one of two ways. 365 can stop and load at SJD on the Northbound track (which would be the realistic solution). This forces 267 to wait for 365 to leave. This does not effect 267's timetable at all in-game. In-fact, it probably wouldnt even need to wait. Or: 365 can be crossed over at the cross over right there just north of the station before 156 comes down. Neither solutions would cause issues with the timetable accuracy to both 267 and 156 trains in-game.

- Trains 257, 261, 269, 279, 289, 195, and 197 are all set to depart SJD at the incorrect time. This appears to be an unintentional error as the times these trains depart in-game happen to be the exact time these trains *actually* depart Tamien IRL. Someone must have accidentally read the schedule wrong on these trains.

These are the only issues with scheduling I have found so far. I will check the Southbounds tomorrow (well, tomorrow for me).

Train Number Boards:

- Train 135 (Northbound) incorrectly displays "16" from train 216 (a southbound service)

View attachment 16325

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Very much so. The service yard outside San Jose as well.

intel i7 8700K 3.7 GHz, 32GB RAM, geForce RTX2080... should be able to handle it. It has no probs dealing with Paddington, Hagen, Jamaica, or any other large station you could name.

3. Md234774

Md234774 Member

Anyone know how to turn on the coach lights in the Galley Cars?

• Like Like x 1
  4. thearkerportian

Been wondering that too.

5. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

To turn on coach lights you have to supply them with power from the engine. When the F40PH is leading, go to the back wall on the conductors side. Turn on HEP and set it to normal.

When leading with the cab car, there’s an HEP ON button on the left side of the control stand.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
  6. Md234774

Md234774 Member

Thanks!!

7. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

More to the list
    F40PH:
    - HEP configuration switch works in opposites (see photo for better understanding)
    20190816120041_1.jpg 20190816120046_1.jpg
    General Route:
    - Marker lights are not on by default upon loading a service. Player must run to back of the train and turn them on manually, which gets a bit frustrating :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have run into a issue with doing the training for the F40PH things are fine up until you reach Mountain View station and are stopped by a Red Signal. Tried pressing Tab to get permission to pass the danger but keep getting Denied: No Route Available.

Has anyone else experienced this as well.

9. HopesAnchor131

HopesAnchor131 Active Member

Precipitation type is rain even when selecting snow.

EDIT: In fact snow doesn't appear even when selecting it to be on the ground.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Does it snow in San Francisco?????

11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

The trick is to increase speed as much as you can, otherwise the tutorial will not release the passenger stop instruction ant Sunny Vale. If you do this properly you get an emergency brake application to handle and then you need to stop at Mountain View where the tutorial ends. A matter of poor design from DTG side. BTW from the passenger coaches you can apply the emergency brakes. Not yet tested what effect this has.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

That is by design. The winter temperature for the route stays around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. It doesn’t not snow in San Francisco.

13. thearkerportian

I just found a number duplication error:

20190817113009_1.jpg
    I'm fairly convinced there no two #917s working for Caltrain ;)

14. Shtirlitz-isaev

Shtirlitz-isaev Member

broke the animation brakes GP38, on the route CSX animation brakes works. 20190816162549_1.jpg 20190816165653_1.jpg

15. Shtirlitz-isaev

Shtirlitz-isaev Member

passengers sit in the depot 20190816135122_1.jpg

16. Shtirlitz-isaev

Shtirlitz-isaev Member

F40 20190816135102_1.jpg 20190816135805_1.jpg the chain is not fully made on the locomotives of CSX is much better done.

17. Shtirlitz-isaev

Shtirlitz-isaev Member

nothing works in the shield, why make a model with detail if nothing is involved there? Everything works on the CSX route. 20190816092430_1.jpg 20190816135924_1.jpg

18. VA Railfan

VA Railfan Active Member

F40PH has no clapper

Attached Files:

19. grahamsarea18

grahamsarea18 Member

I have had all of these same problems. I really hope dtg and partners get a patch/update quickly. Because this could be an awesome addition to TSW. Fingers crossed!!!

20. thearkerportian

As for the broken audio when switching back to cab view: What I've found to help, at least on the F40 (not tested on others) is to get out of the drivers seat for a second and sit down again.

Something else though: Are the cabcar headlight really THAT bright?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  21. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Just checking if you're looking at this in a training scenario. They lock loads of controls out for those which ARE available in a normal scenario.

22. Shtirlitz-isaev

Shtirlitz-isaev Member

• I was on schedule and walking around the depot. It is a pity that DTG makes all additions worse and worse regarding CSX, all the innovations that were in CSX such as working mirrors on the locomotive or the camera on the circle in the depot and more. All forgotten and buried.

23. ARuscoe

In the release stream for the corridor Matt P did say that the mirrors on the new unit were closed because of issues with reflections in UE. So not sure if all of these issues are down to DTG or some are down to UE. I know for example that UE took out the ability to change the friction coefficient on an object which means that in game a loaded and unloaded wagon have to be a different asset entirely rather than allowing "the weight" of the object to be dynamically changed.

24. Shtirlitz-isaev

Shtirlitz-isaev Member

UE4 version 4.12 has been making mirrors for a long time. They just do not really know how to do anything themselves, and they do not want to give all the tools and the editor to third-party developers because they will be left without work.

Attached Files:

25. ARuscoe

If they CAN make reflections to the required standard of items not directly connected to the object doing the reflection then it makes me wonder why, but the posted picture doesn't show this. I've checked (very briefly) and all I can find are reflections on the mirror surface (such as water) rather than distance view mirrors which is what would be required in TSW.

26. DominusEdwardius

DominusEdwardius Well-Known Member

Mirrors do work yes, but they are very costly on performance as you effectively have to render things twice or render things that you ordinarily wouldn't (i.e stuff behind you) so they are a massive performance hog.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Shtirlitz-isaev

Shtirlitz-isaev Member

everything can be done, even the simplest imitation, but they do not want it.

28. ARuscoe

I agree, it depends on how much time they want to spend on something incidental or won't be used, and as the comment above, how much CPU/GPU time they want to assign to it.

29. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

I stayed up late to work on this, so, please bear with any spelling mistakes and what-not.

Scheduling Issues:
    So I need to preface this with some notes. Some issues with accuracy to the real Caltrain Schedule, which DTG is clearly trying to replicate, are caused my multiple factors. These factors can be that the AI are just really good, almost too good, at driving which puts them ahead of schedule. This is a non problem and I havent seen this cause conflicts to the traffic flow in TSW that would lead other services to go astray from their real life counter part. So, heres the list of issues Ive found so far :) Ive only checked Northbound trains so far.

- Train 309 is scheduled irl to arrive at Sunnyvale at 06:15. In TSW, the AI arrive at 06:18 thus the scheduled arrival in-game is set to 06:18. I believe this may be caused by the fact that theres a random 10MPH speed limit on the through tracks at San Jose station. Despite not going through the crossover junctions, the speed limit still drops to 10. When I ran the 309 whilst ignoring the 10mph limit there I was able to arrive perfectly at 06:15, just like the real schedule (while also following the signals correctly behind 2xx train).

- Train 365 has a 20 minute later arrival to Mountain View in TSW than its real life counterpart. The issue appears to be that Dispatch is trying to run the 365 all the way up the Southbound main. As a result, the 365 in TSW is required to sit and wait for several minutes. Then, once its cleared, it is ran up the opposing main to then stop, wait for 267 to pass, then cross over to the Northbound main. This then puts the 365 behind the slower 267 thus leading to the 20 minute difference to the real life counterpart (and painfully slow "baby bullet" in game).

(Continued)
    The problem can be resolved one of two ways. 365 can stop and load at SJD on the Northbound track (which would be the realistic solution). This forces 267 to wait for 365 to leave. This does not effect 267's timetable at all in-game. In-fact, it probably wouldnt even need to wait. Or: 365 can be crossed over at the cross over right there just north of the station before 156 comes down. Neither solutions would cause issues with the timetable accuracy to both 267 and 156 trains in-game.

- Trains 257, 261, 269, 279, 289, 195, and 197 are all set to depart SJD at the incorrect time. This appears to be an unintentional error as the times these trains depart in-game happen to be the exact time these trains *actually* depart Tamien IRL. Someone must have accidentally read the schedule wrong on these trains.

These are the only issues with scheduling I have found so far. I will check the Southbounds tomorrow (well, tomorrow for me). Thank you.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

Train Number Boards:

- Train 135 (Northbound) incorrectly displays "16" from train 216 (a southbound service)

20190820130153_1.jpg

31. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I found out that Loco 900, 911 and 917 all included 2 times at the Peninsula Corridor, maybe they fixed the issue when they included the MP36PH with Bombardier Cars alias the Baby Bullet.

32. CoyoteMan

CoyoteMan Active Member

that’s intentional and not a bug

33. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure they have not enough Locos from the F40PH-2CAT because Caltrain have only 15 Locos from it, the only one I’ve not see it are 905 and 908 in the game yet.
    918 and 919 have no City Names in the Game and no Route Number at the siteboard.

34. VA Railfan

VA Railfan Active Member

The F40PH-2CAT bell has no clapper!!!!!!!

35. Vinnie

Vinnie Well-Known Member

Some AI services to San Jose are departing San Francisco station with the gallery cab car headlights on instead of the marker lights.
    I think they setup itself properly after San Francisco south station since it's only noticeable on some point between SF south and Bayshore to SF 33st. (issue experienced on
    PS4)

36. grahamsarea18

grahamsarea18 Member

Still having same problems with UP brakes in pinesila corridor for Xbox one. Can't link up more than one locomotives brakes and power at same time. And sound is still glitchy. Even after delete/reinstall. And reading manual front to back.

37. roggek

roggek Active Member

How do you silence the F40PH-2CAT completely?
    If you shut down the engine, the H.E.P. , and even the "master battery switch", there is still something on the loco "humming"...
    Annoying when you are at the CEMOF or at 4th&King...A shut down loco should be silent!
    Problem is on XBox.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1