A Complete Overhawl Of Diesel Fumes Including Physics And Behaviour, Please!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gabe_1.0, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

I'd like to suggest something that is pretty major part of TSW. We have so far a variety of Diesel engine from different periods in history. As you go back further to the 80s, 70s, etc.. you'll find that it is the primitive era of machinery where the early years of diesel engines took shape and evolved, so many engines would shoot up a lot of black smoke and be very "sooty" and claggy, the fumes certainly didn't shoot up like jets unless there was an immense power output. This is another big issue on this is why are the fumes shooting out like jets when the engine is idling. Obviously the color of the fumes must be re-looked depending on the power settings which can cause dirty black fumes or just the usual white fumes if its a cleaner system or just a whole heap of heat output if its a Eco-friendly engine.

The fumes also in general are dynamic, they go with the wind or not. Lifespan of the fumes once they get shot out is roughly 30 to 60 seconds per meter. If there is no wind the fumes would stick around a little before dispersing into the air.

This really bothers me a lot in TSW once you see this issue there no going back. I'd be great to finally address it while we don't have a large selection of Diesel engines so they can all be covered and re-done in good time

• Like Like x 4
  2. palme111100

palme111100 Active Member

Oh yeah, make the diesel great (again)!;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

‘70s and ‘80s the primitive age of the Diesel engines.... Please check your history, diesels were invented in the late 1800s, PT-boats and submarines in World War II were pretty advanced, the ships I sailed in my 22 years in the service we’re all diesel electric ships which were very similar to locomotive Diesel electrics and most of those ships keels were laid in the 30s and 40s.

While I agree the exhaust could use some improvement, the ‘70s and ‘80s definitely was NOT the primitive age of diesels :).

• Like Like x 1
  5. jamesibbs

jamesibbs Member

LeadCatcher i think he meant diesel locomotives it may have been late into the development of diesel but it probably was early days of diesel becoming small enough to fit in a train so there was probably bugs in the desigh because they had to make this smaller but as it is smaller it slows the whatever (general example but probably many problems making it smaller)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. jamesibbs

jamesibbs Member

have you seen the sizes of some ship engines larger one's now can be the size of a 2 story house

7. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

jamesibbs Diesels were used in locomotives in the 20’s and the first diesel automobile was built in 1892. On my icebreaker I served in during the 70’s had four diesel locomotive engines modified for marine usage and she was built in the 40’s. All the submarines up until 1958 were diesel boats. So my statement stands - the 70’s and 80’s were not the primitive days of diesel design.

And yes as a Coast Guard Officer, I have been around plenty of low bore low speed diesel marine engines. Not a biggee one way or another - was just the statement of the 70s and 80s as primitive I found very amusing.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jamesibbs

jamesibbs Member

LeadCatcher actuarily that is right in the uk when the rail was nationalised after the war they wanted to go on with steam but they changed to dezile soon after as they realised it was better, you saying the 40's just jumped my memory

9. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Hst and 66 in GWE a by far the least realistic. In terms of exhaust.

• Like Like x 2
  10. TRAINFAN

TRAINFAN Member

Ya, the exhaust should be fixed ,exhaust goes straight upwards and not in all direction, actually it should be in the direction of the wind.

Another thing DTG should focus is about physics ,all the rolling stocks start dancing upside down when speed is high,some locos in CSX even dances in low speed.Instead of vertical movement they should produce lateral vibration which is paramount during change of direction and tracks.wheel base interaction sound effects should be added.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

I wish to make an ALCo for TSW but ..............

Lets see when emitters will be fixed.

• Like Like x 1