Birmingham New Street In The 80s

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ted50035, Aug 24, 2019.

1. ted50035

ted50035 New Member

Could we have Birmingham new street in the 1980s. With class 87s, class 50s and 20s

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Ive only downvoted this because we have the 101s already and we dont want another route with them im, the route and other locos i agree with

• Like Like x 3
  3. ted50035

ted50035 New Member

I changed it to something that could be better

4. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Still no. Modern Britain finally.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Modern British railways are dull. It's all boring units and fancy paint. Noisy diesel locomotives is where it's at, although I'd accept Classes 71-74 and 81-91.

• Like Like x 2
  6. thearkerportian

Well enjoy NTP, TVL and WSR then, those have you covered in abundance. It's our time now. Or at least it was if it was up to me. And thanks for proving my signature to be true for 384th time or so...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  7. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

A downvote! What a child. I walked to school BTW and some of those classes I listed are before my time so your signature is far from the truth.

8. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Pls no arguing

9. thearkerportian

OK, I'll come a bit toward you and say semi-modern would be OK as well. 150s, 90s, 455/456, Pacers... but PLEASE not again trains that were manufactured closer to world war 2 than to today. And I'm not saying never again of course, but we really need some variation. Not even so much as looks are concerned, that's one thing, but in regards to operating them as well. 37, 40, 45... that's all the same engine in a slightly altered shell more or less. I'm extrapolating, I know, but I guess you get my point.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

You had a point with 37 and 40 but a 45 is a very different locomotive. 87s, 50s and 20s were suggested and I'm happy with that and they are also very different. I'd also be happy with even older locomotives built closer to the war or even before the war that I never experienced. I personally think railways got less interesting over time and the time before I was born was possibly more interesting than the time I'm familiar with.

Rather than criticise and hijack, why don't you make a new thread about what you'd like to see?

• Like Like x 3
  11. thearkerportian

Oh, I made a whole lot of these, and about every so often someone cames along being like, nice suggestion, but I'd prefer it set in the 80s. Give me more old sh*t!. Interestingly, this only happens on suggestions for routes from Britain.

12. 47551

47551 Member

Birmingham New Street to where though?

I'd always prefer 80s-90s UK to modern UK.

One problem with modern UK is that DTG would not get a licence to use all the liveries, just look at Padd-Reading where there are no Freightliner, Heathrow Express, Heathrow Connect, GBRf or any of the Mendip liveries.

Also to make New Street realistic in the 80s you would need the following classes 08s, 20s, 25s, 31s, 37s, 45s, 46s, 47s, 50s, 81s, 82s, 83s, 84s, 85s, 86s and 87s just on the loco side of things, let alone all the units and coaching stock.

13. thearkerportian

According to DTG's TS19 DLC portfolio, they have acquired a selection of modern licenses. Southern, Southeastern, FCC, FGW, Southwest, Arriva Trains Wales...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

It was better in the 80s that's why. I pity those that never experienced it and just chase after plastic these days. It's not your fault. It's all you've known. Deep down, you know it's true. Your hatred stems from envy.

15. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Cor, yeah. Think of all those lovely different paint schemes....on trains that are pretty much all the same. I think these days you get a new class designated for just having different paint.

16. thearkerportian

Not true at all. I surely enjoy the occasional visit to a railway museum and such. But at the same time, I'm fairly happy those oldies aren't in regular service anymore, which they sure enough were during my school days. I appreciate the acceleration and efficiency (and air conditioning) of the modern EMUs we have running across the country now. And seeing how passenger numbers increased since we have them, it seems ordinary (as in non-enthusiast) riders prefer them as well.

And once again, for the third time or so, I'm not trying to ban historic DLC from TSW. I want variety. There's plenty of old stuff released by now, and barely anything else. As far as Britain is cincerned, that is. In the US or Germany it's exactly the other way round, I wouldn't mind the 1980s/90s DB at all for example. I suggest you read the statements you reply to.

Nice ad hominem btw...

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  17. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Oh, the irony. We get it. You don't want any more historic British DLCs. However, I suggest you read the responses to your route proposals as there's clearly a market if all of your suggestions are met with "I'd prefer it in the 80s". As for trying to ban historic DLC, your "Still no" comment seemed pretty emphatic to me.
    I'm not saying that modern trains aren't more efficient at being trains but that doesn't necessarily make them more interesting.

18. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This leaves out so many socio-economic factors

I will admit I do prefer the variety that we have had in the recent past with loco hauled, double ended, EMU, DMU and god knows what than what we will end up with in ten years where everything will be one long non-interchangeable hulk thus reducing variation, but in the end it IS a mass transit system so the cheaper the operation the better

Except Thameslink. That just needs binning (mildly biased as I live in Gillingham and prefer the North Kent Lines and don't know why trains that start in Bedfordshire really need to end half way across Kent)