More Training Scenarios

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Gabe_1.0, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

I thought it was mentioned that the Training scenarios will receive an overhaul in the 2020 update but nothing yet. There's the introduction training modules covered and a basic maneuver but the training scenarios don't really go much into the whole thing at all at the moment, would like to explore the aspects of a locomotive more such as refueling, cold start, a day in the maintenance shed, safety systems and how they affect the you while you're driving, etc

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dougal

Dougal Member

Hi, it would be interesting to have shutting scenarios where you gave to get the wagons/carriages in a particular order, which something I remember doing on a train set many years ago and it took sometime to figure out.

3. Gabe_1.0

Gabe_1.0 Well-Known Member

That's not relevant to the topic, which focuses on training scenarios, I am not sure if help me here in any way

4. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I think that before more training scenarios are made (or anything else is made, at all), that the existing training modules should be made to work a bit better. I had difficulty with the NTP ones (maybe because I am completely incompetent?). It was so difficult for me that I posted this as a bug/ticket with DTG Support:

-------------
    The NTP introductory training module "Diesel Locomotives Introduction" is one of the most difficult in the game, and the most heart-breaking module a beginner could encounter.

The module has five significant issues. Firstly, any action undertaken too quickly cuts out the narrator. Secondly, the brake and throttle controls are lost on the rapidly changing gradient from the bridge to the station, when the narrator starts talking about stopping - this is just the moment you need control. Thirdly, if the train slows and stops and brake pressure is off, then the scenario can't be completed (doors won't unlock, and the brake control is removed). Fourthly, the objective stop is coincident with the red stop signal (or about 2 yards away), which is an unnecessarily tough ask for a tutorial. Finally, the opportunity to describe the three types of brakes is missed, making the narration about the brakes difficult for a beginner to understand (where has the straight air brake gone?).

When playing this NTP introductory module is combined with the horrific experience with the introductory "Change At Jamaica" scenario in LIRR, the average PS4 player wil just give up. This is ironic, because these introductory modules were meant to make the game easier to access and understand. The only way (I have found) to complete the module is to drive very very badly (with 80% throttle fighting initial application on the main train brake reservoir). The straight air brake becomes unavailable for slow speed control. You also have to know in advance where the objective's stop marker will appear (by the red light), and then do a "do or die" release of the throttle 10 yards from the looming SPAD. Alternatively, you can stop well short of the objective stop, or take a very long time to get to the objective (assuming that you prevent the train from stopping early).

The entire module needs to be redesigned and re-issued as a patch. Or, the module could be removed and replaced with something a little less challenging for beginners. To put this into context, I have tested the module about twenty times, using different approach and braking strategies, and I can't get beyond the "bronze" medal award (high score 909 AP). This is the only module (that can be made to work) that I don't think that I will be able to ace - it's just too difficult, given the control limitations placed. A beginner, through a lucky strike chance, might complete the module with a few attempts, or first time, but it will be very rare. It doesn't help that the scoring breakdown is unclear during the module and at the end, but this is a very minor final point in the broad scheme of things.
    -------------

Is it just me? Am I just completely rubbish at this game? Is this scenario a very easy starter for ten? Or is it horrendously difficult, as I have found? Anyone beaten 909 AP or done better than bronze?