Deluxe (bigger) Diesel Gala Day On Wsr

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by synthetic.angel, Sep 8, 2019.

1. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

DTG has had great success in overcoming the serious technical challenges involved in enabling a loco to operate on different routes, for example:

- Class 47 transferred from WSR to NTP
    - Class 101 transferred from NTP to TVL
    - Class 08 transferred from TVL to NTP (or vice versa?)
    - GP38-2 transferred from NEC to SFJ

It was previously thought that this sort of thing wasn't possible, or at least desirable (you wouldn't want 25kV electric locos running on NTP, or for the Class 66 to run on "historic" routes like NTP, for example). But....

......WSR is a timeless (and/or) present-day route. It doesn't have electricity (for trains...), but it can quite easily take all of the diesel locos that have the same track gauge. So... we could see the following locos running (or presenting) on the WSR (with their rolling stock), and joining the 09, 33, 52 and 47 GRN...:

- Class 08
    - Class 37
    - Class 40
    - Class 43 HST.... ;-)
    - Class 45
    - Class 47 BLU
    - Class 66
    - Class 101

There's even a connection to the mainline and a nice triangle where your rail-tour train can spawn.... (or the loco and stock could be flexibly assigned to the services, like the 33 and 52). There are plenty of sidings for static displays (if performance is an issue), etc.

It would really give WSR a burst of extra life (and might get more sales too....).

I'd rather there were a pair of test tracks where all rolling stock could be given a test run:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/old-dalby-wegberg-wildenrath-double-test-pack.18069/

But for now, what do you think? Would you want a Deluxe (Bigger) Diesel Gala Day on WSR...?

EDIT - For clarity, I am suggesting that if you own WSR, that any of the above locos and their coaching stock and/or wagons (that you also own), be allowed to run on WSR, or in the very least appear as static assets along the route.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  2. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I believe the Class 08 is on WSR, or at least has been. Whether this was a bug or not, I don't know. You have to own TVL for that however

3. synthetic.angel

WSR comes with a Class 09, which is very similar to the Class 08, but has a bit less power to rail.

I didn't want to say that the 08 was transferred from WSR to TVL and re-skinned, although it is very likely that a similar shell was used (if not the exactly same, at least, initially - as there are physical differences in the models for these shunters - the 08 is more "developed").

4. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Yes I'm aware of that. What I actually meant is, that TVL comes with the Class 08, and if you own this DLC, then the Class 08 also was suddenly available on WSR. I'm however not sure if this still is the case, or if this was intended or not.

5. synthetic.angel

Aaah. I don't know, I don't have TVL. If the 08 is no longer running on WSR, then I expect that it was unintentional. Maybe the 08, by some random one in a quadrillion chance, was initially given the same asset name as the 09....? (pure speculation)

Sounds like the 08 can run on WSR though. So, that's one loco easily sorted...!

6. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Yeah the 08 is available on WSR if you have TVL (even has the depot badge on the side from TVL). I think I prefer it to the 09 for some reason

7. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

What he means it that, through an interesting bug (perhaps intentional), you can run the Tees Valley 08 on the Class 09 services for West Somerset. Due to the lower top speed, you haven't got a chance of making the timings, but it's nice to see anyways. The 08 is indeed heavily reworked from the 09, and has a couple of extra features, such as the battery isolation switches on the loco body and the series/parallel switch in the cab.

With regards to the list at the top of the post, all of the locomotives (with the exception of the 08 as mentioned) will only work on one route. The only straight copy-paste I can find is the Tees Valley/BR Freight 08, which is just a reskin. The 101 on Tees Valley has an interesting extra bit over the NTP one, which is that the destination blind can be set to halfway in between two settings, so both "Not In Service" and "Darlington" could be displayed at the same time, albeit with the top or bottom half cut off. Also, the cab doors on the TVL 101 open all the way to be flush with the coach side, where as the NTP version's cab door only opens halfway to be perpendicular with the body. The NTP Class 47 is fairly similar to the one from WSR, with the major difference being the lack of a cab radio and associated aerials and of course the lack of a headcode box. The GP38-2 has gained a new cab for SFJ, as well as a new headlight style, and also has a camera animation for climbing the ladders onto the walkways.

The only locomotives that you could realistically just copy over with few to no modifications to WSR are as follows -
    37 714 Cardiff Canton (BR Trainload Metals, Tees Valley)
    45 041 Royal Tank Regiment (BR Blue, Northern Trans-Pennine)
    45 133 (BR Blue, would need high intensity headlight, NTP)
    40 102 Aureol (BR Blue w/ disks, BR Heavy Freight)
    40 145 (BR Blue Pre-TOPS, would need headcode symbols instead of domino, high intensity headlight, BR Heavy Freight)
    L836 [Class 101] (BR Blue with NSE logo, would need high intensity headlight, red buffer beam, NSE logo above light, TVL)

Named versions would obviously require custom plates, and these are usually licensed to the owner of the locomotive. 37 714 would also need the Thornaby TMD "Kingfisher" depot plates swapped for the Cardiff Canton TMD "Goat" ones. Royal Tank Regiment and Aureol could probably work 'as-is', but would need some of the dirt and grime washed off the body first. 40 145 would need the most work, as a full headcode box like on the Class 47 would be required - this would go where the black box with the two white dots is right now on the current in-game version. The autonumbering would also need some work to get the loco to display the "345" number it currently carries. I personally don't see DTG doing this anytime soon, as it would probably require a lot of work not only adding all the necessary parts, but also testing - a Class 40 has a little more than half the power of the Class 47, so would it be able to keep to the timetable? I would personally rather see named variants of locomotives on the existing routes, or perhaps other depot plates for the TVL 37/7 - Thornaby TMD only ever had 3 of that sub-type. Cardiff Canton would probably be number one on the list. Of course, I would love to see an editor so we don't have to wait around for DTG to do this, but that one looks like it's a fairly long way away.

8. synthetic.angel

Just checking - the 08 becomes available.... in addition.... to the 09...., right? It doesn't replace it? I wouldn't want a future installation of TVL to wipe out the 09 (should it be made available at a reasonable price, or say....., provided as compensation, or as a prize for poetry or photography....) ..........!

I am quite attached to that 09....!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  9. synthetic.angel

Thank you for your wonderful response! I think that if this motive power (08, 37, 40, 45, 101) were to all be made available (intentionally) on WSR, then I might even be tempted to actually buy TVL and possibly even the NTP freight pack.... And I think others would buy WSR as well.

I get your general other point (reading between the lines), that even if you drag a 1970s/80s/90s vehicle out of another route, then for it to be truly authentic on a 21st century WSR, it would have to be a specific preserved loco, in its current operational livery. (At least I think that is what you are sort of saying....). I would, personally, be happy to be flexible on this point.. (I can sense the outrage that might result...LOL)... after all, I don't recall being at Leeds station in the late 1970s or early 1980s and jumping off a loco-hauled train that had centrally controlled door-locking... that came much much much later..... ;-)

10. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s in addition to the 09

11. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Much agreed. Not enough sharing of motive power between routes.

12. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

Nowhere near enough sharing. It seems that DTG keep missing tricks by not using certain classes on certain routes. A prime example is the 52 on GWE as it would make a superb charter locomotive and you could really open it up for a change because it wants to fly.