Motion Blur Issues

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by MrSeanFace, Sep 13, 2018.

1. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

We could still do with a fix for the awful motion blur issue that still plagues the wheels and vertical edges whilst traveling at high speed. Any news on plans to have this looked at and resolved?
    Aside from this the whole sim looks beautiful, be a shame to let a thing like this spoil the otherwise flawless aesthetics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

Still not one word with regard any plans to fix the awful motion blur artifact issue?

Train Sim World Motion Blur Artifacts 01.jpg

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

And yet more shots of the motion blur issue...

Train Sim World Motion Blur Artifacts 03.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

This has been said probably hundreds of times, but I'll say it again.

Unreal Engine's default motion blur isn't great. DTG can't do anything about it. DTG won't do anything about it. Except perhaps update the effect if UE4 ever fixes it.

I find it odd that they never added an option to turn it off in consoles...it's been a whole year since motion blur was added, but in that time there still is no setting in the menu to turn it off...

• Like Like x 3
  5. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

Agreed, an option to switch off motion blur would be much appreciated. Fair enough if the problem lies at UR4's end but if you have access to a simple fix and can give the consumer more freedom to customize their experience and tailor the sim to their personal preference why in gods name wouldn't you include it?
    Really disillusioned with Dovetail as a developer. They seem solely focused on making sales with no thought for the consumer experience. The second a product goes to market they lose all interest in developing it further and dash off to make the next big thing. Rinse and repeat...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

It's not a UE4 issue and it's something DTG should definitely address. The motion blur is a standard blur that is provided with UE4, and it's great for many games which use UE4. There's nothing technical which stops DTG creating their own motion blur, so they could create their own motion blur algorithm which takes into account highspeed rotating objects.

If they create steam locomotives the motion blur issue will have to be addressed. It's one of the many issues which prevent DTG from creating steam locomotives, along with particle emitters (AI diesels on WSR have no exhaust) and the physics (most diesels currently have poor physics and are awating updates from DTG, steam physics are more complex).

I really don't understand why DTG seem to have such problems with UE4. There's thousands of developers using it and there is a wealth of experience and knowlege online. So I don't understand why DTG can't get a simple particle emitter to work correctly. If they can't get something basic like that to work, well they have no chance creating a new motion blur algorithm which is much more complicated.

• Like Like x 2
  7. MrSeanFace

MrSeanFace Member

But is it so much a matter of incompetence or more a case disinterest? Judging by the speed with which they throw out new DLC before ever having addressed the already existing issues with either the DLC that came before it or even worse the original title itself I'd say the latter.

8. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I know I'm digging up an old thread and it's one that seems to crop up again and again, but is there not an option within UE4 to selectively turn off motion blur on certain elements? On most trains where they're well hidden, I'd rather have fairly featureless wheels not rotating at all than the big explosion this is currently causing, or at least just not doing the blur thing.

Also read somewhere that it's possible to stop the wheels rotating and just have the texture rotating on them which would possibly remove the issue we're seeing. It's nice having the linear motion blur, but maybe just turn off rotational blur if possible?

Edit: Seems like people using UE4 have managed to solve, or at least reduce this issue. https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/196657/wheels-of-vehicles-have-wierd-motion-blur.html

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  9. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Factor41
    Although there's no menu option to do so, just as on the PC version pressing Ctrl F2 on a attached USB keyboard turns off the motion blur effect.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. Factor41

Thanks, that's handy to know. It's a shame to turn it off altogether though as the effect is good on the whole - particularly when you're on external view with the tacks moving past quickly. Just wish I could get rid of it on the wheels!

11. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Well while it does clean up the wheel rotation issue there is still a slightly different blur effect elsewhere - so it might just be what you're looking for. ;)

12. wytse106

wytse106 New Member

Pressing ctrl f2 doesn't work for me, f1 and f3 work, but none of the ctrl or shift inputs have effect however.
    The motion blur stays on

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  13. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Oh, that's odd. I think I have access to every button and combination except (strangely) the key for the brake. I use the controller for this though.

I use a UK keyboard on a UK PS4 pro - I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

14. Factor41

A UK Mac keyboard on a UK PS4 Pro also worked fine for me to turn off the blur. Shame you can't just disable to weird rotational blur effect though; the linear blur on the track sleepers works nicely.