Please, Fix That Logo

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ildario77, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

I know it may sound a bit provocative (in fact, it is...) and/or silly, but, please, fix that stuttering rotating Dovetail logo! So annoying to see it freeze everytime I launch the game. I repeat, it's a silly thing, but I think that's quite representative of the lack of attention to detail, typical of this company, at least regarding this game... And let me tell you, a bit shameful, isn't it? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

They are trying their best, bless 'em.

• Like Like x 3
  3. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the white splash screen at start-up, well.... I checked it, and it is absolutely fine for me. And I stared at it closely.... ;-)

So, I don't think that this is a TSW software problem. This is also quite a simple animation, which a 386-16, or an old mobile phone, would have no problem with. So maybe there is something, after all, that isn't quite right with your setup.....? Do you get this kind of problem with any other game? If you do, let me know, and I'll drop you a list of things to check out, that might help you.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  4. spina304

spina304 Member

On ps4 its freeze everytime too.

5. ildario77

It doesn't happen with other games. It ran smoothly for a few days after first install, then it started to stutter. Maybe it has something to do with DLCs...

6. synthetic.angel

I think the DLC list is loaded slightly later, when you see the picture with three/four trains... (I could be wrong, of course).

Anyway - this sort of thing is intriguing. I would say that the smoothness of this animation is possibly the least important thing to worry about.... LOL..., but things like this are actually quite important - because it could be telling you something about the boot-up. I think you can probably guess what I am about to suggest..... try this...:

1. Turn off your internet.
    2. Start TSW
    3. Close TSW (using the Options menu - make sure it is closed)
    4. Start TSW

The first time you start TSW with the internet off, the PS4 will give you a system message about not being able to access internet features. The second time you launch TSW, the PS4 won't give you this message - TSW knows not to bother trying to make an external call (and then everything runs more smoothly).

Let us know if that works, or not... ;-)

7. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Always runs as smooth as silk on my Pro. ;)

Actually that might be something to do with it. I think it may stutter because whilst it's playing it's also loading in the following movie. Perhaps the Pro's extra oomph helps with this.

You can press a button at any time and it will bypass both the logo and intro movie.

8. Droemel

Droemel New Member

Instead of the Logo, I get only a black screen everytime I start the game. I can hear the sound but there's no picture. It also does not continue with the video automatically, but instead requires a button press.
    It's like that since the TSW 2020 update and at first I thought the update broke the game.
    Only one time since the update I could see the logo and then it continued automatically. I don't remember if it was stuttering or not though.

9. ildario77

Well, must be a hard disk related problem while loading the intro movie, as stated before. It seems that faster PS4 Pros are not affected. And yes, it started with the TSW 2020 update. As I said, is not a real problem (this game has bigger problems, sadly...), but DTG failed even with splash screens...

10. Droemel

Droemel New Member

I'm using a PS4 pro with a SSD... ;)

11. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

It does it on my PS4 too. Also Matt streamed the other night on his PS4 and it was the same. So, it’s a general problem. Not something that really bothers me though personally

• Like Like x 1
  12. deki32

deki32 Well-Known Member

I really wish to know how they managed to get the logo to lag like that. I can’t imagine the consoles having problems with playing back a short intro video. Looks like it is a lot more complex. Maybe the logo is physics based and uses Simugraph which kills the fps. Just kidding. Let’s hope they fix it at some point :D. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  13. underwaterdick

underwaterdick Active Member

Interestingly I don't get any issues with the DTG logo animation, or intro video but 1/3 times I load the game since the update yesterday (16/sept) I goes to a black screen and will not progress further. A quick reboot of the game and it all loads ok in no time.

Rather annoying, but I can live with it

14. ildario77

Lol, it says PS4 Pro, and logo stutters exactly the same way it stutters on my PS4... DTG, you're the best company in the world ♥

15. synthetic.angel

Hang on - that's not DTG saying "PS4 Pro" - that's the U-Tube channel owner putting it in the title.... But anyway...wow - okay, I see what you mean by the logo..(!)

That is really strange....! Um... this animation (which is really just a very short MP4, and not a physical model...), should play as smoothly as any DVD..., in fact, more smoothly than a DVD.

Something else must be going on.

The load time for TSW, if you quickly click through it (and don't watch any videos, etc.), is 50-55 seconds - I timed it last week. That is plenty of time to load everything. And that is with the PS4 not connected to the internet and not waiting around.

And anyway, I don't think TSW has been optimised for PS Pro (to use the extra RAM), so there shouldn't be any difference. When it comes to loading time, the only person here with a potential advantage is Droemel , and only then maybe - as his SSD would have to be SATA III, to get a boost. And anyway - his feedback is even worse than everyone else's...

I totally don't undertand this... it is truly bizarre. It is perfectly fine on my PS Pro - and my machine is quite stressed (90% full 1TB SATA II HDD, HDMI to 4kTV with HDR, PSVR out, camera in, G29 steering wheel.... all on top of the DualShock etc.)..

The only thing I can think of is the quality of HDMI cables, and the settings for the TV. Have you (or anyone else here) tried changing the cables and TV settings, etc.?

16. synthetic.angel

17. synthetic.angel

18. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I should have mentioned I have boost mode always enabled. Without it the Pro runs at the same speed as a standard PS4. It's especially suited to non Pro enhanced games. So even if a video mentions a Pro it's not necessarily behaving like one - faster load times, better frame rates etc.

19. ildario77

PS4 Pro users, would you recommend a switch to the new console for TSW, or is it just a waste of money?

20. synthetic.angel

That depends on a lot of things....! What benefit are you looking for? How sure are you that you will get that benefit? Is the cost of a PS4 Pro a meaningful purchase to you? How important is PS and TSW to your life?

Not trying to judge... these are serious questions....

If you have just spent $5000 on a 85" 8K TV (or whatever you can get for $5000 these days...), and you spend 18 hours a day on the PS4, then I would say yes - buy a PS4 Pro.... ;-)

To put this into context... I felt that it was worth spending about £300, in total, on a steering wheel, which is basically just a controller for the PS4. I guessed that I would use it on at least ten games, intensely, for at least a year. It is well into the second year, and has been used for thousands of hours. So cost per hour, for the added immersion, was well worth it, many times over. Some people spend ten times more (and I understand this), but £300 is quite a bit of cash to me..., and £3000 sounds like the cost of a real car, not a toy steering wheel.... ;-)

If I had a 2014 PS4, I would (personally) wait until the PS5 came out, and dropped in price by 30 per cent - so that would be two or three years away... If I had a 2014 PS4, and it broke today... then I would buy a PS4 Pro immediately...

You might have seen on the other thread (the polish one) that somebody spent £500 in one week on TS2019 content. If I was him, I would probably spend £3000 on a PC...., just for TS2019... ;-)

I am not him, so i won't be... I will never buy a game that requires Steam.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  21. synthetic.angel

Yes - I have boost on as well, although I am not convinced that it adds anything, for most of the time... My understanding is that, to get benefit from a PS4 Pro, you have to be in one of the following situations:

- you are playing a game that is specifically PS Pro Enhanced (and uses memory addressing on the extra 1 Gb RAM)
    - you are pushing the output to a 4K screen (cos a standard PS4 should not really push to anything above 1080p)
    - you are pushing the output to a TV with HDR enabled, using HDR designed software (like GT Sport)

The "Boost" setting says that it boosts framerate, etc., for pre PS4 Pro games...., but if those games have been properly optimised for the PS4 (not Pro), then there would be zero benefit.... (I think). Also - it is disclaimered - the Boost function is potentially unstable... (I have never had a problem with it on though).

Since I play GT Sport on a 4K Sony TV, PS Pro works well for me... although, I actually use a PSVR headset (lower resolution, strictly speaking, but amazing field of view without distractions, such as babies crying in the kitchen, etc... JUST JOKING.... !!!

EDITED: To remove reference to putting noisy children in a sound-proofed cupboard upstairs to remove distractions from playing on the PS4

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  22. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

That's a tricky question to answer this late in the PS4 life cycle what with a backwards compatible PS5 on the horizon. Specifically for TSW a Pro (with boost) will enhance the frame rate slightly, it will lower load times slightly and generally smooth things out a little. But a PS5 will do this even more. A Pro won't give you any enhanced features, 4k or HDR because TSW doesn't have support.

If you can find a cheap-ish one I'd say go for it. Especially if you have other games that might benefit. But it's not my money I'm spending. ;)
    It depends on how badly you want that animation to be smooth. :)

I've wondered if there will be any TSW support for the extra features that the PS5 will have or whether it will just be faster PS4 graphics on the new console. Or if we'll have to buy a new version of TSW. It'll be a shame if either is the case.

synthetic.angel - Boost unlocks the processor speed from the fixed speed of a standard machine to run at the higher rate of a Pro, hence the warning about instability of older games. Though I to have never experienced any problems (that I'm aware of). Boost mode, when they introduced it via an update, is actually the reason I bought the Pro. Prior to that, unless I was buying Pro enhanced games, the Pro didn't add a lot for me - 1080p monitor.
    Here's a LINK with comparisons.

I might disable it and try the spinning logo just to see if it stutters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. synthetic.angel

Thanks for the link - really interesting! I think it reinforces what I was thinking/saying - if a game is properly optimised for PS4, the gain is marginal (if any at all)... but that margin might well count for a lot in some cases...! There are a few games that get their variable framerate maxed out with boost. Cool - I didn't know that, but it is still sort of marginal. The max PS4 Pro processor speed is more than double the PS4 - and I think this leap is mostly designed to drive the 4K screens... (none of the games seem to have anywhere near double performance with boost). But I am glad it actually does something with some games (including some of my games on that list...!). No stability issues for me at all.

But the really good news here, for anyone with TSW, is that lower quality independent titles seem to get the most benefit. So, TSW should be greatly enhanced with the PS4 Pro boost on... ;-)

Back to the topic - after much musing on this, I am fairly convinced that the stutter of the logo, that some experience, is due to a connected digital TV with the wrong settings - say, some sort of motion setting. The short movie has rapidly moving shapes accelerating in two directions, on a high contrast background, and I think that this is confusing the TVs (with feedback to the PS4). It has nothing to do with PS4, I think. And it has nothing to do with DTG - I don't think they should take the blame for this one...

I can now maybe foresee some old PS4s ending up in a train like the one below....: ;-)

NYC Morning Trash.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019