PlayStation Swapping Locos Gp38

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by stujoy, Sep 23, 2019.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Possible daft newbie question, or not...

I've been trying on the Rocky Road scenario on Peninsular Corridor to change locos for driving back after unloading and running around the train. No matter what configuration I try in the two locos when I swap over, there are still brakes applied slowing the train as I drive away.

In the trailing loco at the start of the session the brake is set to handle off, the cut-out valve is on cut out and the MU-2A valve is set to Lead or Dead (which is confusing). The train drives as it should after setting up the lead loco as per instructions. I've tried setting the original lead loco to those same settings when swapping over (and every other combination of those three controls) and the original trailing loco as it should be to lead, but there is always a brake still on when I drive off. It's driving me nuts.

Could someone please give me an exact step by step procedure for swapping locos, as I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong or the scenario is bugged.

One thing I haven't done is just reverse all the way back in the original cab as the scenario instructions imply. You just wouldn't do that. So I haven't completed the session yet!

Thanks

2. BROCK

BROCK Active Member

I just ran it backwards, no problem just had to turn the chair around.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

In America, they DO just look backwards. That's the point of a conductor, he/she gets on the last car and says how close you are to your other cars. Use the camera as a conductor. Also, if you don't know how Americans operate trains, don't say anything.

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I do use the camera as a conductor and I do know that during yard work and when coupling you don't necessarily change locos but that's not the point. I wanted to know the correct way to swap the lead loco in a set of two in this simulator on the PS4, because I was already coupled and ready to drive some considerable distance. If you're going to drive a long way you want to be in the front loco.

And how is anyone supposed to know how anybody does anything if they don't ask? So I will say something. However, if you're not going to add anything constructive, I'd rather you didn't say anything, rather than tell me not to ask. That's how British people operate conversations.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Big Papi34

Use the manuals. There on here. And I didn't say don't ask, I said don't say anything if you don't know what you're talking about as you assumed in America they don't operate trains backwards or in the trailing unit, both of which they do. Anyway, there's a link to the manuals in the Peninsula Corridor thread.

6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I never once assumed that in America they don't operate trains backwards. I do assume that sometimes they might prefer to drive them forwards from the leading cab, which is what I want to do. I'm the engineer in this virtual world.

Which Peninsular Corridor thread has the links to the manuals, and which manual teaches the procedure for swapping cabs? - I have the manual for Peninsular Corridor (and every other manual) and there is no information in it to help with that question, just a diagram with some of the controls highlighted. "Use the manuals" is not really a helpful comment, as I have already done that. If you can't help me with my question please stop posting on this thread.

Have a nice day.

7. Big Papi34

That's odd I swear the manuals covered it. It seems you did everything right. Did you set the brake to freight? It's a little knob below the automatic brake handle. If it's off the brakes stay locked up.

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did that. I found an explanation in the CSX Heavy Haul manual, and I set the settings as in that. It doesn't actually talk you through it step by step like the start up procedures. I'm sure I'm just missing something small but important, or I'm doing the settings in the wrong order. I will give it another go at some point.

As an aside, it's not so good that the detailed info is in a manual for a product that isn't even available on PS4 but not replicated in the manual for the route I've bought, it's only cut and paste after all.

Thanks