Forum Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrainSim-Jay, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

How can we improve the new forums? Any features you'd like to see? Anything you'd change? Any feedback whatsoever?

Let us know here!

• Like Like x 1
  2. VION

VION Active Member

Hello, it is very difficult at this stage to say what could be better to improve the forum as all the DTG games forums are now on the same place which is a very good thing. I own TSxxxx, TSW and FSW so to find all the needed news and help on the same place is very nice.
    For improvement we will see in the future along the use and could bring proposal features if needed..
    Cheers
    Gerard

3. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

What will happen to the Steam forums?

4. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Glad to see the TS2018 forum in the same place as other DTG based forums. Steam forums are getting a bit toxic as of late and have been pursing forums venues such as UKtrainSim and the older Railworks forum on steam.

• Like Like x 2
  5. spsimon285

spsimon285 New Member

Very Toxic. And its not just lately.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Nice to see a section dedicated to TS! Thanks.

7. TrainSim-Martin

TrainSim-Martin Well-Known Member

Hey Purno,

Since Steam is such a massive part of the business we'll never totally leave those forums - providing support on the platform is essential since we deal with so many people through it. That being said, I'm seeing these forums become the central hub for the latest news, inhabited by the most passionate fans, and full of the most interesting discussions!

AKA the Steam Forums will still be a thing (especially for support), but hopefully this site will be a bigger thing (especially for fun community stuff).

AKA Lots more work for Jay!

Cheers,
    -Martin

• Like Like x 1
  8. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Can we get some of this in the TSW forums too? We're lonely...

• Like Like x 1
  9. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Not likely I'll be returning to steam forums much now that this is in place.

Though, I do hope to see a mobile app of this forum in place for Mobile devices for easier access. As sometimes, web versions can be a bit unreliable at times.

A Dovetail Live App. Where we can post, and participate in discussions as well as make purchases through it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

0E1B2069-853C-4E31-B4D8-DD6251E77EDE.jpeg One issue I have with the notification system is that when you have someone who downvotes something you post it takes up too much real estate in the ticker box.

• Like Like x 2
  11. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

A couple of suggestions:

If you aren't logged in and just click on Recent Posts to see what's being said the only way to see what a comment is about, unless it has been given a clear title, it to click on it. Would a note saying at least which game a post relates to if not which sub-forum be difficult to arrange?

Secondly if, perhaps having looked through the recent posts, you find a thread you wish to contribute too and log in that thread can be quite hard to find again. Yes list threads by read/unread etc. but can't you also have the same list you were just looking at before you logged in? Or, can you not be taken back to that thread after you've logged in rather than just dropped into the forum home pages?

12. BritishRail60062

BritishRail60062 Active Member

If I am not too late in asking this. Could we have a TS Screenshots and Videos channel added to the forum please? I would think that it would be a great way of showing our let's play videos by embedding the YouTube video into the topic that would mean it could inspire people to try new trains and/or just enjoy the let's play video.

I have discovered new trains by watching let's plays of people using trains that I had even heard of before and some of them are really cool in my opinion :).

13. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

You can embed a YouTube video into a post. If you want, you could create a thread for videos if you like :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. BritishRail60062

Thanks Dmitri. I have opened a new topic where people can share their train simulator videos if they want to. With some other gaming forums having a topic for simulation videos. It would be great to have one here too :).

Depending on how popular that thread gets. Maybe it could get stickied to the top if it gets more than 500 hits or replies?
    Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be that much, if people do submit a couple of videos I see no problem sticking it :) I will have a look when I get to the office, might be worth sticking it now for more visibility. Thank you for your efforts!

• Like Like x 1
  16. BritishRail60062

No problem bud. I will do what I can to make a positive impression in the TS community. I will add more videos once I see some other TS videos from fellow users as I like to be fair :).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Dakota

Dakota Member

If this forum system is supported by Tapatalk it would be terrific to see it and use Tapatalk to participate.

18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It would be good if the size of the upvote/downvote/useful picture you see in the Alerts section could be reduced as they are much too big.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

DTG Downvotes/ No votes
    I have suggested this on another thread but it was locked. So I'm going to bump it here.

Yesterday in a Contents Suggestions thread there was an option for a Yes or No vote on a proposal for content. One person voted No, they would not like to see that content made.
    What would be the point in objecting to a perfectly reasonable request for content. It's simply trolling unless they post a rational argument as to why they object to that proposal.

The same goes for Downvotes. An anonymous cross in a box expresses nothing except a laziness or unwillingness to engage in debate and is open to trolling.

Upvotes are fine as they are a form of agreement where nothing more needs to be added unless someone wishes to comment.

Finally, those who wish do downvote this thread please state your reason for your downvote.

Edit; since posting this I see that another No vote has appeared on that contents Suggestions thread. I fail to see how anyone in their right mind would want to object to a reasonable proposal. It's simply trolling.

DTG, do away with these pointless Downvotes.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

As I pointed out in the thread (if it's the one I think), putting a poll with a yes/no option and then complaining when anyone says that no, actually, that's not a route/train/proposal that they're very interested in, seems ridiculous to me. If you ask for an opinion, you shouldn't then dictate what that opinion should be. People will always have ideas about where they want development resource to go and if they think it's better spent on something other than your suggestion, they're perfectly free to say that. Them disagreeing with you doesn't make them a troll!

Your post asked whether we want more crusty old British Rail trains from the 50s. My answer was No, because I'd quite like some of the UK trains in the game to be modern ones so not every service is slow and underpowered.

The downvotes thing I agree more with, only on the basis that it's getting abused and people are being downvoted for perfectly valid posts, rather than unhelpful, abusive or otherwise inappropriate comments. If that weren't the case, however, having it as a system for flagging those unhelpful, abusive or inappropriate posts would be a perfectly fine system.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

If people would prefer resources put towards content they want then they should start their own suggestions thread rather than stymie someone else.
    We all have different preferences, is it not rather selfish to post a No vote because it doesn't suit what the No voter wants.

22. Factor41

Not if there's a poll specifically asking if that's what I want. You might as well have had just a yes option (or more sensibly, not had a poll at all) if you're not willing to accept someone choosing no!

I've made content suggestions and, because I don't really care if you agree with them or not, I didn't put a poll on. :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Content Suggestions thread is a hypothetical exercise, if only for us punters to get a wish list off our chests.

Whether DTG actually take note or act on our suggestions is moot. It could be a useful market survey tool for DTG but the Yes/No % method is cumbersome. Why not just a simple head count of those who want/agree with that suggestion. Those who disagree because they want something else should start their own thread.

Factor 41, as you say, perhaps DTG should drop the poll system anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Factor41

I'm not saying they should drop the polls, I'm just saying that if you post a poll, maybe use it for something more informative than "I want this, do you agree with me?" type questions. Perhaps a "Which of these would you like more of..." poll with a wide spread of answers, eg "Modern EMUs, 50s-70s BR diesels, Steam, Obscure historical shunters" would get a more useful feedback of where the userbase is looking for new content, or if you have a specific route in mind, a poll about which of the trains that run on it people would want as a priority. The tools are all useful if applied correctly. Of course, the same still applies; if you ask the question and find out that people have a different preference to you, you shouldn't then be cross about it :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

Hmm, ok but what about my question, if there are train with Lehigh Valley Railroad paint in game?

26. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

I will like to see on the game update italian train like FS E444, E633 and other italian train + route.

27. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

28. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

Thank you

29. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

We definitely need to have a platform specific New Posts button. I click on New Posts, see someone having a problem, type half a page of text then realise its for a PS4 etc and Im on pc so all that text is nonsense. Whether the whole forum needs to be split better along these lines Im not sure.

30. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

I’m speaking about other, Italian route and train

31. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Im confused. Why are you quoting me? Our posts are about totally different, unrelated things. Mine is about a forum request, yours about locos and routes. This is the "forum requests" thread, not the "route and loco requests" thread. I suggest kindly and with due respect that you post your requests somewhere more appropriate. That way they are more likely to gain some traction.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019
  32. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

Ok

• Like Like x 1
  33. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Quite agree, twice today, out of the kindness of my heart, (;)) I have linked two people to the TSW forum. One of whom has continued posting here despite being told they are on the wrong forum. On the Steam forum I started a thread asking why the link from Steam to here had been removed. A DTG staff member replied that people were confusing that thread as the actual DTG forum.
    It seems there is more confusion between TSW and TS2020 forums and as Sunscreen says, the forum should be split in some way to avoid this confusion.

34. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

And another two people had to be redirected to TSW today. Us punters try to be helpful to newcomers to the hobby but it gets tedious.
    DTG, please do something about it.

• Like Like x 1
  35. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

The oxted line[​IMG] between uckfield and East Grinstead to London Bridge and London Victoria

36. Factor41

Yes, I'm sure that also would greatly improve the functionality of the forum. :|

37. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

You have to ask yourself "Is this surprising...?". And then you have to ask yourself "Why should I ask myself why this is surprising...?". And then you have to ask yourself "Will I actually get an answer to the questions that I have asked myself?"

And then you have to wonder why new people confuse Train Simulator with Train Sim World. It's almost as if they are similar sounding titles. And then you might (quite justifiably) think "But they are actually different - one uses the word "Simulator" but not "World" and the other uses the word "Sim" plus "World" - different - see....!"

And then you see this Marvel of Marketing Mayhem on Microsoft Store:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/train-simulator-world/9nv7ww3kfv6v?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

And then you have to ask yourself: "Why do I bother?".

38. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I did ask in a thread if one of the games should be renamed to avoid the confusion.
    Train Simulator does still sit in a Railworks folder, the old name of the game

Peter

39. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

Maybe the cross city line from Reddich to Lichfield Trent valley via Birmingham new street with Regional railways and centro days with class 304 and 308 and 310s

40. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.