Light Switch?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by John Murphy, Oct 4, 2019.

1. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

I know it's probably not possible for some technical reason, but the recent update with the lighting and contrast features got me thinking. How about an option to turn lighting in the route on and off. What I mean is stuff like streetlights and buildings. The reason I'm saying this is because often in real life, I'll see streetlights and such turned on even in the day if it's cloudy or foggy or gloomy enough. Also, I've seen that on a lot of routes, the scenery lights don't turn on until long after it gets dark. I've had it where I've been driving in pitch black darkness and the scenery lights still won't turn on. I know there's a set time of day that these lights turn on and I've seen it happen before. But on most routes, it gets dark well before this happens and it just seems extremely unrealistic.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Probably older routes where the scripting wasn't as good as some of the more modern routes

3. John Murphy

Not really. Just yesterday I was driving a train north on the Hudson Line route. It was after 8 pm in game and the stars were out...yet the lights still didn't come on. So it's not just for older routes. I've also seen it happen on several other routes, new and old.

4. ARuscoe

Just BAD scripting then...
    I've noticed quite a few glitches on routes but thought they were just old. Maybe they're just bad...

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Murphy

Yeah, they are just bad. Either that or in whatever part of the UK where DTG is from, the lights don't come on until like 2 or 3 hours after it gets dark at night.

6. ARuscoe

I live a mile from their headquarters. Even if the lights didn't come on the perpetual orange light pollution from London (Central London is about 30 miles away) means you don't NEED local lighting and can see pretty well without

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Murphy

Ooh that's another effect that would be cool. Light pollution in big cities. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and half the sky is lit up orange every night. It would be better for urban routes instead of the cities being dark at night.

I wish I lived that close to their headquarters. I'd be leaving a bag of...all natural fertilizer on their doorstep with a note saying "Thank you for your attention to detail and quality control. Love, the player base."

• Like Like x 3
  8. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

That would be a really cool effect to add to routes with locations near big cities.

9. John Murphy

And the sad part is you know they'd find some way to screw it up and make it look horrible.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I have encountered a similar problem on the Cajon Pass route. One scenario takes place early morning, like 7 or 8 o'clock, bu the lighting is ridiculously low and none of the scenery light are on, and you can barely see your way around the yard. I feel your pain!

11. ARuscoe

Which unfortunately comes under "disposal of hazardous waste" laws, and given they're on well protected and well covered with CCTV premises (a former naval base to be precise) I don't think that would work out well for you

Nice thought though

12. John Murphy

Are you serious? That seems a little excessive. I always imagined them to just have a suite in some boring generic office building. It's almost as if they expected to be attacked by a mob of angry and broke TS and TSW players demanding their money back, so they fortified themselves on an old military base. Next thing you know, they'll be digging trenches.

It doesn't really matter though. Just sneak in around 7 or 8 when it gets dark, because DTG apparently doesn't turn their lights on until 9 or 10. :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

Yeah, they're in Chatham Dockyard which was a naval dockyard for at least a century