The New Generation - Can't You Hear It Calling?

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Wivenswold, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

A quick recap of the new rolling stock built or introduced since Train Simulator started on lines within the game.

Class 185 Desiro
    Class 195 Civity
    Class 331 Civity
    Class 345 Aventra
    Class 374 Velaro e320
    Class 377/6 Electrostar Mk2
    Class 385 AT200
    Class 387 Electrostar Mk2
    Class 397 Civity
    Class 700 Desiro City
    Class 707 Desiro City
    Class 710 Aventra
    Class 717 Desiro City
    Class 720 Aventra
    Class 745 Flirt
    Class 755 Flirt
    Class 777 Stadler Metro
    Class 800 AT300 IEP
    Class 802 AT300 IEP

It's fair to say that there's some catching-up to do in order to make Train Simulator feel modern. Obviously licences are needed for certain designs/liveries or workarounds needed. But doing nothing will ensure the brand goes stale which seems like a perverse business model.

Come on DTG inspire us.

*With apologies to Suede.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Class 185 Desiro - Siemens - German
    Class 374 Velaro e320 (Eurostar) - Siemens - German
    Class 700 Desiro City - Siemens - German
    Class 707 Desiro City - Siemens - German
    Class 717 Desiro City - Siemens - German

Class 195 Civity - CAF - Spain
    Class 331 Civity - CAF - Spain
    Class 397 Civity - CAF - Spain

Class 345 Aventra - Bombardier - Canada
    Class 377/6 Electrostar Mk2 - Bombardier - Canada
    Class 387 Electrostar Mk2 - Bombardier - Canada
    Class 710 Aventra - Bombardier - Canada
    Class 720 Aventra - Bombardier - Canada

Class 745 Flirt - Stadler Rail - Switzerland
    Class 755 Flirt - Stadler Rail - Switzerland
    Class 777 Stadler Metro - Stadler Rail - Switzerland

Class 385 AT200 - Hitachi - Japan
    Class 800 AT300 IEP - Hitachi - Japan
    Class 802 AT300 IEP - Hitachi - Japan

C'mon Siemens, CAF, Bombardier, Stadler and Hitachi...

• Like Like x 3
  3. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Most of these listed are ugly plastic trains in my opinion but I would love the 185 and 700. The 717 and the Civity family would be nice too.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wivenswold

I personally think most of them on that list are too bland to be ugly. Love them, loath them or find them a bit meh, they're a part of the modern railway network. Us duffers may prefer ramping up the clag and struggling with antiquated braking systems. Younger rail enthusiasts love the new stuff, just as we did in our youth. So a potential target market for TS is lost because the game is stuck in the early part of this expiring decade.

• Like Like x 4
  5. ARuscoe

Put it plainly. A potential market is lost because modern train companies don't want to give licenses to games which may feature their units doing things they don't want in videos on youtube...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wivenswold

Is that theory or something that's been going on? Surely it's only the livery that can be the issue? It would be interesting to see DTG's take on this. First and Virgin didn't seem to have an issue with agreeing licences. AP's approach of including a link to "realistic branding" seems to circumnavigate the issue as they've frequently released versions of current liveries. Copyright laws that apply to AP are the same as those that apply to DTG.

7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Could be that AP have the will and means to acquire licencing, possibly with exclusive rights.
    I'm not well up on current train operating companies and their liveries but it seems that many of APs liveries are of defunct operators. I stand to be corrected on this.

8. ARuscoe

It's been said somewhere, and the outline of a product can also be copyright and require license, not just paint scheme, theme, logo etc. In other words if DTG wanted to produce a model of a class 700 they would need to have a license from the owner of all relevant copyrights, not just any relevant logos etc

AP aren't producing new locos... They're either "enhancing" or making old ones (465, 150, 37 all of which are BREL units so outside of this). With regards to paint schemes they're either producing old ones, already licensed ones etc etc. I haven't seen a bang up to date livery from a payware source in a while

9. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Why the downvote?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wivenswold

Clearly someone didn't agree with you. One of the perils of expressing an opinion in public I'm afraid.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ARuscoe

They obviously disagreed. You've only got 12, but 276 upvotes so that's not bad at all, only 4% down. Mine's 6%

• Like Like x 1
  12. ryanpeakin

ryanpeakin New Member

Wouldn't mind seeing the 195 on Train sim... since it has operations on several routes already in game; Liverpool-Manchester route being the one I shall use in this instance, 195's are getting to common that there replacing most of the 15x operations around aswell.

• Like Like x 1
  13. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

ISTR AP ran into issues with Virgin Group lawyers a couple of years back and got Cease and Desisted. Their 'workaround' is to make the trains without logos and release a 'free branding patch' in the hope it'll shield them as they are not directly selling content with the train companies logo. Also I suspect as a 'sole trader' they think that the lawyers won't think them worth bothering with as a potential payout would be less then the cost of pursuing. DTG being a larger limited company with a turnover of a few million per year would probably find themselves very quickly the target of legal action if they didn't do things above board.

14. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

good Idea

15. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

I've been on the Shenfield to London Liverpool street the train I've been on the class 345 Aventra I've been in the Cab from shenfield to London Liverpool street