Steam Train Anniversary Surprise!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by StarTr3k1701, Oct 16, 2018.

1. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

When the anniversary of TSW comes around I think you should add either the Big Boy or Challenger to the game. Would be epic on an American country route or the mountain ranges of the csx heavy haul route.

• Like Like x 2
  2. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

TSW has no route that a Challenger or Big Boy was ever operated on. And good luck seeing them do something as complicated as a Big Boy as the first steam locomotive. It's not gonna happen like that.

• Like Like x 4
  3. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

Who ever said it had to be the first?

4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

So you think they'll be able to do more than one steam locomotive in the next 4 months? I don't think that's the way this stuff works.

• Like Like x 3
  5. StarTr3k1701

StarTr3k1701 Member

Never said it had to be the first year anniversary. Perhaps the 3rd

6. finval06

finval06 New Member

Could just add steam locos, in general, like to routes that use it such as the WSR

7. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

What's the point of one on WSR. Steam engines were built for fast passenger operations and heavy freight operations. Not hauling short passenger runs at 25mph.

8. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

Incorrect, they were built for all sorts of purposes prior to diesel and electric alternatives. As the WSR is a heritage route it makes sense to put heritage trains on it and what’s more heritage than a steam loco?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Big Papi34

I personally think steam should be set on a route where they actually haul heavy freight trains and express passenger runs. 25mph on a steam engine isn't my idea of fun. On the other hand, IT chapter 2 looks good.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  10. Gipsy_Danger

Gipsy_Danger Active Member

It does, glad they got Bill Hader in, a very underrated actor imo.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Eswar

Eswar New Member

I think Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway would be perfect for heavy haul steam operations.

12. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Lol, what do you think hauled slow passenger trains before the advent of the diesel engine? Oxen?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Big Papi34

I was talking mainly about modern steam engine. Well, not modern, just them on their last leg, with sleek streamlined designs for speed and mighty boilers to help haul trains longer than some diesels haul today. But my point was, if DTG were to make a steam engine, it would most likely sell better on a route with fast express lines and huge freights. In my opinion Norfolk and Western would be a good candidate with the J class and A class.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  14. finval06

finval06 New Member

The wsr is heritage, I live near it and have gone there alot, it has many steam locos such as a hall class, 58xx and many more, saying what's the point of that, adding a steam loco to a heritage railway well known for its locomotives would be great, so many new game mechanics would come with steam locos such as tools, train maintainence, and it would make it more than regulator forward brakes off and go, it could add a new experience of learning how all locos work in detail, not just for pros but so we can all do it, also I'm talking about all steam locos not new ones, the old ones are just as good and you would probably get better sells on old fashioned steam locos like a hall class or a pannier tank

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  15. Big Papi34

So you want to run a steam engine meant for high speeds at 25mph.

16. finval06

finval06 New Member

I mean their ment to go over 25 mph, On the real wsr they go well over 25, its only 25 mph in game because the only thing on the line is a diesel

17. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that it was the actual speed limit and heritage railways had to run at 25mph unless they had specific safety systems in place covering door locking and suchlike? Do the steam trains on WSR have this all in place, or were the "well over 25mph" instances just guest/demo runs held under specific conditions?

• Like Like x 1
  18. finval06

finval06 New Member

No its not the speed limit, they don't have special door locking procedures its just a door that has a handle that is stiff to turn and you have to open the window to open the door from the inside, the door situations are just met with a sign that says ''Do not lean out the window'' because the doors will open if you lean against them hard enough, the speed limits are like 40 - 60, the railway isn't limited to 25.

19. Factor41

Fairly certain you're wrong on all counts...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

All heritage railways in the UK are strictly limited to 25mph, If you exceed that speed then you will be suspended from driving duties no ifs or buts.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

Not true.

22. Big Papi34

Your telling me that a heritage railway that has trains traveling at 60mph. Either the UK is crazy (just kidding of course) or America actually follows safety.

23. Factor41

Certainly not passenger services. Maybe it just feels faster on the old stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  24. finval06

finval06 New Member

The 25 speed limits were lifted in 2017, Your american so I assume you have not been on the exact heritage railway im talking about which is the WSR, some railways are at 25 mph but most long heritage railways in the uk are not limited to 25 mph, I literally live right next to the WSR they have speed limits displayed at the sides of the tracks.

25. finval06

finval06 New Member

Not all of them, WSR is the one im on about, the speed limits are displayed at the sides of the track on a black metal pole and white numbers, 40 mph is the most common one on the line, part of it is 50, I really don't see why you say im wrong as I literally live right next to the WSR, I was there two weeks ago and since then I'm not aware of 2017 lifted speed limits being put back in place today.

26. thesuperpuffin

thesuperpuffin Member

The reason why the limit is 25mph is that all uk heritage lines have light railway acts allowing them to run. This means that they can use cheaper materials for the permanent way but limits the speed to 25mph

27. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't think you are correct. I believe it is possible for them to run at higher speeds if their locomotives and infrastructure are fitted with TPWS etc. It iss also in their interests for the journey to take as long as possible as it feels better value for money for their customers.

I cannot find anything to suggest the WSR runs at higher speeds, but I haven't been there for a few years.