How To Pass Red Lights

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jimkooper, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Jimkooper

Jimkooper New Member

Hey everyone. This might be the first one many questions I may have on these forums so please forgive me and my super noobness. I am enjoying Traim Sim World on Xbone so far, it is well done. I am using the easiest train in service mode and I will be for a while until I get a full grasp on the game. Thing is, I have run into a problem. Red lights. Sometimes I might overshoot a station, reverse to stop at said station and get a red light at the end of the station afterwards. I have heard you can request permission to pass, but I have no idea on how to do that, I can't find any resources for doing it. Apparently the Tab key is used on PC, but I have no idea here.

Any ideas?

2. redgor thenoob

redgor thenoob Member

Hold right on the dpad and select the signaller option

3. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

Yes, don't overshoot the station.

Seriously, there are occasions in the game where you'll need to request permission from the signaller to pass a red light (entering a yard, for example). But this doesn't apply to 'normal' red lights, such as when a train is occupying the block ahead of you (including your own train!). You'll just get 'Denied: no route available'.

Accurate station stopping, by the way, is one of the toughest things to get right. You have to do it by feel and practice, and the dynamics are different depending on the loco, the consist, the gradient, weather conditions, and so on.

I've found the best way to learn to do this is to use a series of 'speed bands'. About half a mile or so from the station, slow down into a 40-50mph speed band. As you visually approach the platform, slow down more, so that when you enter the platform you're doing 20-30mph. As you approach the stopping marker, go down to about 10mph. You can then roll gently to a stop at the exact point, with luck.

Doing it progressively like this is much easier than trying to do a one-shot braking move from line speed down to zero, because it means even if you do overshoot or undershoot, it's not by much.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

This exactly. If you have a point (say, 500-600 yards out, if you're doing 60mph) where you start doing the majority of the braking so you're down to around 30mph at the start of the platform, you can ease off or increase the braking as needed and hit the stop marker with good accuracy. You should be able to complete a passenger route and get within a couple of points of the 500 point award at every station, particularly on MSB where you're not rushing to keep up with a timetable. Obviously, start braking earlier with the fuel train, start later on WSR where you're never doing more than 25mph!

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

To add to the conversation, platform length and stopping point also affect your braking point.
    If you're driving a two car consist and the stopping point is at the platform entry end then you may want to enter at no more than 10mph whereas with a HST and a half mile long platform with the stopping point at the far end, 35-40 may be more appropriate
    You'll learn these things as you learn the route (which is a fundamental part of driving in real life)

But yeah, rule of thumb, if you know it's a regular length platform with stops towards the other end, aim for about 30mph at platform start, if it's a shorter platform, on a hill, in the rain or whatever then maybe ratchet that back

6. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

I've had some issue with lights going straight from green to red, with no yellow in between. But maybe that's a North American thing? I always though that:
    1) Green = you're good to go.
    2) Yellow = slow down (below 80 km/hr), stay alert
    3) Red = stop immediately (or before the next light)

7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, think it's a US thing. In UK and DE, you get yellows which mean that next block is red. If you look at lights and not just HUD, you sometimes get double yellows which mean you've got another block of yellow after the current one, before the red - handy at 125mph.

8. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Good point! I eventually want to play without a hud, but I'm still a train noob.