Euro Fishing Advice On General Rod Technique Needed...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spirit-X, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Spirit-X

Spirit-X New Member

I'm a gamer, not a fisherman and I'm struggling to work out how much tension i should have set on the reel at any particular time. Should i adjust the tension WHILE I'm fighting a fish if I'm in danger of breaking the line?

Also I general I'm just not sure what to do with the rod in order to keep the right tension on the line while I'm fighting. The meter is always swinging from min to max, back and forth. Is it possible to keep it nicely in the middle during a fight with practice? Any advice would be great thanks, i have list a lot of fish :(

Am on PS4 btw.

2. RPout

RPout New Member

Try using a combination of lowering the rod for less tension, and raising it for higher tension. You can fine tune it on the fly with the drag. If there is not enough pull, add some + clicks of drag to keep that line tight. If it seems stuck in the RED DANGER zone, let up on the drag and/or lower the rod. Its kind of a balance thing.

3. RPout

RPout New Member

Oh, I should add that the default drag is set at 40 when you first cast. I personally find that waaaay too high. I reduce it to around 25-30 as soon as it hits the water. Then, depending on the size of fish I catch, I adjust higher or lower from there.

4. Spirit-X

Spirit-X New Member

Thanks, I think I'm getting the hang of it better now. Bringing the drag down some certainly helped a lot.

5. bI4ckp4nth3r_187

bI4ckp4nth3r_187 New Member

With this setup;
    • Sonik 12ft
    • Big pit reel 1000
    • 20lb Korda mainline
    Set all your rods to 35 drag, when it bleeps pick it up, don't change the angle of the rod and just hold down the reel in button. Any fish over 8lb is going to take you to Max but not excede the limit. You don't even have to look at the screen til it says 'catch'.

That is for pleasure fishing big baits, big hooks for big fish.

For tournaments it works too but you might wanna use your rod to bully the fish in to improve your weights.

6. GypsyMic

GypsyMic New Member

That kind of sucks out the fun of things though, p4nth3r.

To OP, it's balance. Play with the drag and remember that certain rods and reel combinations combined with line chosen can drastically change your experience per certain weight classes of fish.

For your first set of equipment you just can't really catch huge fish. You will be limited to the first three lakes for your best catch quota to gain TP to unlock better equipment. Look through the tackle shop and look through your options. Do you want to tournament fish and reel in a lot of shore lunkers often with ease? Do you want to rip catfish out of the water with a massive rod and a borderline military grade reel? You can do either or even do both!

Just enjoy the fishing and the big ones come later.