Missing Scenarios Somerset And Dorset

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by doc_woods, Oct 26, 2019.

1. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

If you buy the Somerset and Dorset route via steam you get this package: https://steamdb.info/sub/16812/apps/ - it comes with "Railworks 3 LegacyScenariosBT" and therefore contains the scenarios.

If you buy the Somerset and Dorset route from elsewhere (including apparently your own website) you get this package https://steamdb.info/sub/6481/apps/ - you'll notice it doesn't come with "Railworks 3 LegacyScenariosBT" and therefore the scenarios are missing.

This is clearly a simple packaging error and should be trivial to fix.

A few years ago I tried to resolve this problem with your support team and got nowhere, despite explaining the problem. It now appears that more people on the Steam forum are having exactly the same issue and also getting nowhere with your support team: https://steamcommunity.com/app/24010/discussions/3/1609400247639928118/.

Please look at fixing the packaging.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The website you are linking to https://steamdb.info/sub/16812/apps/ is nothing to do with Steam or Valve.
    Unless the page that you are buying the game off says it includes x,y and z then you cannot say it is missing.

I think the "Support Team" you are referring to is for STEAM instead of DTG

If you open a ticket with DTG http://dovetailgames.kayako.com/ then you will get a reply which will say if the scenarios are missing or not.

Peter

3. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

Yes - the website I linked to is a third party website that uses the Steam API to show package contents. It obviously isn't official but it is accurate. It's at least sufficient to diagnose the cause of the problem.

The support team I am referring to is DTG. I opened a ticket with DTG support when I first had this issue and they failed to resolve it (but did give me some other DLC as in compensation so I'm not too hard-done-by). Other people in the Steam forum thread I linked to also contacted DTG support and also failed to fix the issue.

Essentially this is a simple packaging error on DTGs part which means that anyone who buys the route from a non-steam seller (including DTG's own site) is missing the scenarios. Multiple people have complained about it on the Steam forums. I suspect that if you showed this information to the person in charge of setting up Steam packages at DTG they'd say "oops, I can fix this in 15 minutes". However, contacting DTG support definitely doesn't get the information to the right person so I'm posting it on their public forum in the vague hope that it'll get seem by someone who can actually do something.

DTG's own store does claim the existence of the scenarios (they're listed under "features" on the right) so you can definitely say they're missing: https://store.dovetailgames.com/uk/product/262117/somerset-dorset-railway-route-add-on

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  4. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi doc_woods,

Please can you provide me with your previous ticket number so I can look into this for you? Or, alternatively, send me your email address that you used to create the ticket in a private message so I can trace you on our system.

There are avenues we can follow but we need to look at where your previous support request went so we're not repeating the same process all over again. If your ticket is more than a month old, it's likely things have changed since and if your ticket is more than a year old - things have definitely changed and we have more options available now than we had previously.

Best, Steve

5. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. My ticket number was #XIU-315-30846. However: I was offered some alternative DLC instead when it wasn't resolved and I'm honestly happy with that outcome from my point of view.

I really posted this because it was frustrating seeing the same issue coming up again for other people when it looks like it should be an easy fix (I could be wrong about that of course... :) ). The outcome I'm hoping for from this isn't that you dig up my old ticket. Ideally it'd either be one of:
    1. Pass my attempt at diagnosis on to the "right person" and hopefully that'll quietly fix it for everyone involved;
    2. If that isn't possible then have a look at correcting the description non-steam stores (your site and amazon I think), since it doesn't seem to come with the scenarios.
    Thanks again.

(Edit: originally copied the wrong ticket number ... sorry!)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  6. TrainSim-Steve

Hi doc_woods,

Thanks for providing the ticket number - unfortunately, it appears that ticket was probably under our old system so I'm not able to review it and find out what happened.

However, following your post, I've taken some steps outlined below:

Firstly, I've requested our Retail Team take down the offending product until we can properly work out why it's missing scenarios - that is likely to happen within the next few minutes, so there should be no new people having further problems.

Secondly, I'm going to make the scenarios available publicly as a download link so that all those affected can get the scenarios without having to wait for us to fix it on Steam. I'll share the link as soon as they've been packaged and uploaded (and also get it posted in the Steam thread too). Give me half an hour.

Thirdly, we'll get the product into the right place before re-publishing it and make sure it downloads with the right objects included.

Fourthly, we'll also look at our reporting process on Customer Support and see if we can identify any improvements we can make to our escalation process when things like this come up.

Hope this meets with your approval and thanks for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

Best, Steve

EDIT: I now have a download link available, click here to download the scenarios. Extract the files within to
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\Content\Routes\00000002-0000-0000-0000-000000000000\Scenarios\

You should then find all the scenarios available to play in software.

7. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

Thanks Steve - that seems like a good solution!

8. TrainSim-Steve

Hi doc_woods,

Ah, just spotted you provided a different ticket number. Looking at your ticket and the actions taken, I can see that things have definitely moved on since then but seems the issue was not properly escalated to the right people at the time. All I can do is apologise for that, and for those that have been affected since - I'm confident we will get it resolved and there will be no further need for the download. I will post again once that has been confirmed so everyone's aware.

Best, Steve

9. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

TrainSim-Steve - I now have "Railworks 3 Legacy Scenarios BT" on Steam (and it shows up as added on SteamDB too) so it looks like this is now done. Thanks again for chasing that, and no worries about the original ticket - I'm sure it's a delicate balancing act to escalate the right things but not too many of the wrong things.

10. TrainSim-Steve

Thanks doc_woods,

Confirmed from our Retail Team too that this has been updated with the right content and is now back live. Should be no further issues with this.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As does the entry on Steam so you should have those scenarios if you have purchased the route.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/208302/Train_Simulator_Somerset__Dorset_Railway_Route_AddOn/
    Are you looking in the right place? Because the route is old, 2012, they are Standard Scenarios not Career Scenarios

Peter

12. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

Peter - what was happening was: when you bought the route from steam you got a bundle of "route+scenarios+some shared scenery assets". When you bought the route from somewhere other than steam you got a slightly different bundle of "route+some shared scenery assets+the TS base game+a few other odd bits (like a class 801...)", but no scenarios.

This was a genuine issue and not that we were looking in the wrong place for scenarios. However, DTG have now fixed it. Everyone is happy again (well, I'm happy, and hopefully everyone else is...). Unless someone else is still having issues for some other currently unknown reason, I don't think this needs further discussion.