Introducing Mastery For Train Sim World

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Oct 28, 2019.

1. palme111100

palme111100 Active Member

If the system works like a described it, then it wouldn't be that hard to do. Maybe a bit time consuming, but not hard.;)

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Depends... if it's a simple texture overlay then yes, if it's an interactive element, then maybe not.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. palme111100

Yeah, depends. And this is something I would like to know: How does this work interally? A little insight into TSW to show people how things work and so that people know how complex things are. If we don't have enough information we have to assume.
    But what do you mean with "interactive element"? Like, if you select a destination it prints a string onto the display? Or how do I have to imagine an "interactive element"?

4. InspectorTiger

InspectorTiger Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm hugely impressed by this either. As we've discussed on other threads, 'unlocking' substantive things like locos and track would be supremely annoying for simulator fans who just gonna simulate. So if you *do* introduce something to unlock, it needs to be very trivial, which indeed proves to be the case.

What harm does it do? The answer is opportunity cost. If you're implementing hot air balloons, you can't also be fixing bugs, adding real gameplay features, or working on new DLCs. Obviously this is a commercial decision, not a technical one, but I can't be alone in wishing DTG's commercial department had a bit less input into the product, and the developers a little more.

• Like Like x 5
  5. ARuscoe

an overlay: A static image that either doesn't change or is moved about to give the illusion. Think of a long strip of paper with the words "I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony" written on it. Put a piece of paper in front of the strip with a gap just wide enough to accommodate 15 letters or spaces. You'd only be able to see "I'd like to tea". Move the strip sideways and the words would scroll. When you reach the end of the strip you move the whole image back to starting position and scroll again.
    To get different words to show you would have to have a completely separate element (or strip) to put behind the blind in front and then move it sideways

Interactive element:
    Literally a programmable area of lights, where rather than having a static item behind you program each column of lights in sequence to show the letters, so to show the sentence the program needs to know the start point and then the sequence of columns it takes to show the correct thing. To scroll it simply moves each column one to the left and works it all out again.
    To get different words to show you simply give a different sequence of letters to the program

The first implementation is easiest IF you are working with a few sequences of words as it's quicker for one person to make a picture rather than a complex program sequence.
    The second implementation is easier long term if you need to show lots of different sequences as once you write the display strings you can show just about anything

6. ARuscoe

What "gameplay features" can you add to what they've got already? There is little to driving a train that isn't already there in some fashion (however many bugs there might be)

7. palme111100

Ok yeah, now I know you you've meant with interactive element, so thank you for that.
    Anyway I have the slight feeling the first implementation method is the case. I just have to think about RRO and the BR146.2 and DoStos not having the destination "Wuppertal Hbf" instead they are driving with "Nicht Einsteigen", which makes me assume it's done with a texture and haven't made the texture so far. If the second implementation method is the case, I guess they simply forgot to add the destination.

8. ARuscoe

Do not board???

9. palme111100

Yeah, the BR146.2(, BR143) and DoStos going to Wuppertal Hbf had set their destination to "Nicht Einsteigen"(Do not board). I wondered why and I guess it's because of the missing destination "Wuppertal Hbf". I'll start up TSW and see if this is still there.

10. palme111100

When I turn the displays on "Nicht Einsteigen" was selected. So I thought could be my fault; I selected another destination and pressed this "current train destination" button and it selected "Nicht Einsteigen". Also I've seen AI train to Wuppertal with "Nicht Einsteigen" as their destination.
    Unbenannt.png
    And I think this is due to the missing "Wuppertal Hbf" destination.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  11. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

Dovetail Live (the platform upon which Mastery is placed) is being worked on by a team of web developers, with the programmers having minimal input. Indeed, the vast majority of work is done by the DTL team.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Just because they are doing this, doesn’t mean they still aren’t working on other things too. This update might contain bug fixes too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Matt said during his own stream last night that he has been working late on bug fixes for some time. Give DTG a chance and see what comes out.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Dynamite Andy

Dynamite Andy Member

Is this retroactive or is it starting from release?

This looks like fun!

15. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

It probably wouldn't be Wuppertal. As with the S8 to Mönchengladbach and the RB48 going to Köln Hbf, these REs don't terminate at Wuppertal in reality. Destinations would be Aachen for the RE4, Krefeld for the RE7 and Venlo for the RE13. In the other direction it would be Hamm Hbf for both RE 4 and 13, and, alternatingly, Münster and Rheine for the 7.

The point being, that's even more destinations to put into the computer.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  16. palme111100

Yeah, forgot about that. Anyway, those destinations aren't implemented.

17. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I've seen the Mastery term on the forum in the fishing game threads so presume it's something which has worked well for them on there. I would imagine that the lower/basic levels would be simple "Drive XX miles", "Complete XX passenger boarding tasks" and suchlike, with higher levels requiring perfect speed limit adherence and having the various train safety systems activated. To completely Master a particular train or route, you'd need to have every system on, never speed, and meet timetable requirements... in the snow... at night... :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. ragn05

ragn05 Well-Known Member

I believed that everyone is free to say what he want, but indeed I was wrong
    probably this message will get hundreads of downvotes, but I want to say what I think
    in my opinion that could be a good idea, that could get players back to play old routes, it also allow to get a bit of difference on the routes and on the main menù.
    but that is just my opinion

• Like Like x 4
  19. thearkerportian

That would actually be a very interesting game mode. But I fear as long as track speed and time table tell me to hurry the F up while ATCES is staring at me like a lion at wounded zebra and keeping me under 25 mph for miles on end, that's not going to happen. :(

20. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Motivation? Since I enjoy train simulators, I am already motivated to play them. "Mastery", if anything, will lessen my motivation by interfering with driving trains: "Oh, Orville! Lookee!! Balloons are rising trackside!!!"

21. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I think I understand this new "feature" now. DTG is channeling Marie Antoinette, we are the revolting peasants, and this is her latest opportunity to proclaim, "Let them eat (Mastery) cake!" I'm sure that whoever came up with this idea thought that we would all be just delighted with and tickled by it, but I'm just revolted. I don't see the purpose of additional watch-a-ma-call-its for services (pardon -- "environments", which doesn't make much sense in the first place). Riding air balloons and other such Turkish delights may thrill the badges & rewards crowd, but additional activities make much more sense to me and would, in addition, add more substance to the simulation.

I will now go and wash this negativity off my fingers with laundry soap.

• Like Like x 3
  22. J4mes

J4mes Member

Was going to add my tuppence worth to this debate, but you got there first!!! I experienced Wheelslip on Tees Valley Line with one of the 37 Steel Train runs from a standstill!!! Was actually wondering what was happening when the HUD started getting Red squiggly lines appearing on it.

23. thearkerportian

Well perhaps you should consider switching over to BVE. Not the slightest bit of scenery to distract you from the precious driving. And even if, most looks like drawn with MS Paint. The Windows 95 version.

• Like Like x 1
  24. J4mes

J4mes Member

I used to enjoy BVE, I think a few of us on here probably cut our teeth on that, together with Microsoft Train Sim as well!!!

• Like Like x 3
  25. kikelj.blaz

kikelj.blaz Member

Someone has too much time on his hands?!
    What if you consider adding more life to tracks, such as trains that come from railroads that are not part of main railway?
    It would really fit into Jamaica, Leeds, Manchester, Hagen etc., but those station are just empty all the time.

We did not bought Watch Envoriment Simulator!!! We bought Train Sim World!!!

We expect something to change dear devlopers.

• Like Like x 4
  26. thearkerportian

Yeah MSTS (and Loksim 3D, Germany's BVE equivalent if you will) were my entry points into trainsimming as well :)

27. Anthony Pecoraro

If you get wheelslip again, take a minute and watch the sparks that appear from the wheels.

28. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

Can’t say I personally care about this update, I think another way to add replay ability is to create more scenarios for older routes. A hot air balloon won’t make me want to drive the Trans-Pennine route more than a loco dlc would.

Some people will enjoy this update and that’s fine but for me, I purchased TSW to drive different trains on different routes with exciting, interesting and challenging scenarios as a bonus to the service timetable.

I sometimes wonder where the priorities of DTG lie, do they want to create a simulator which, given the name of their game kinda gives you an idea of what they set out for it to be, but then you see things you wouldn’t expect to see in a simulator.

Collectables and items to unlock aren’t for me and many simmers. It would be nice to have other more important issues addressed before an update which enables new dioramas to be unlocked is released. There are still things from the TSW2020 update which need fixing such as the ability to scroll down the list of stations you are to stop at when pressing the touchpad on the PS4. The debrief screen which only shows the first few stations you stopped at which is fine if you’re only stopping at no more than a few stations, after that it’s pointless.

• Like Like x 5
  29. Anthony Pecoraro

That has been fixed.

30. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

RE4 is Dortmund Hbf.

You should better fixed this crap with 3 coaches BR 422 TrainSim-James

31. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

They also moves without train npc driver (if you left the driver seat the npc driver do not respawn and the train start the service, and run all the service, without driver). And another nice RRO feature its the sort of homeless service (if you drive last passenger service to deposit, when you left the train there are some passenger probably without home that pass all cold night inside the train cars).

• Like Like x 1
  32. TrainSim-Dmitri

Outside of the new scenery assets and dioramas you will get access to a stats page that lists various information about the way you play, so it's not just scenery gimmicks that we are adding.

• Like Like x 10
  33. thearkerportian

OK, so that's why it's called mastery. Makes a lot more sense.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Well, can we hope that the red light bug on MSB will be fixed with this update?

35. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

when is this mastery thing out. ive just been on TSw and nothing, no downloads no mastery

36. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

6PM GMT I think

Edit: It's out.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  37. Bane1349

Bane1349 New Member

Here comes another one in the endless line of useless additions. Where is the editor? Where are fixes for the signalling at the NEC route?

• Like Like x 4
  38. ARuscoe

So you quote "useless additions" and then ask about the editor? For many people THAT is a useless addition. In the end ANY addition enriches the game

• Like Like x 3
  39. thearkerportian

The editor itself will be useless for many people, that's true. However what will be made with it (hopefully) not so much ;)

40. ARuscoe

Dependent on access to it, useability etc etc
    I advocate the editor as a tool for "proper devs" but hope that the content generated is better organised than that for TSx, where frankly it's a disorganised free for all
    As an example my current TSx download folder has over 200 separate downloads from about fifteen different locations, and that doesn't include the packs themselves via steam. Why keep them? Because sometimes you can't redownload when you need to, and if you've paid you don't want to lose

Either way, I don't see "hot air balloons" as a complete null feature

• Like Like x 2
  41. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I would quite like extra scenery details, especially if some of them were railway related - workers on the side of the line, wagons etc. on the tracks in sidings (that are not used by the game), extra things on platforms, pedestrians or unusual vehicles waiting at level crossings or parked outside stations. If there was some random aspect to the appearance of these extras I think it would be a valuable addition to the game and an incentive to keep playing. Maybe the inside of some buildings (signal boxes and workers' huts etc.) could be unlocked for the walking railway worker to explore.

• Like Like x 5
  42. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

I'm generally always pleased to see some sort of update or news for this game. I was just thinking earlier last week before this announcement "It sure would be neat to have more dioramas for my trains". Reading this update didn't bring forth any sort of emotion or response beyond "oh, cool." and I don't think that was the intention with this. It's a nice little update to add a little something while we wait for some holiday DLC imho.

• Like Like x 5
  43. ARuscoe

I think "oh cool" is probably a good enough response to something that in itself isn't going to change the game or the demographic of the game too much

44. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

I don't know. It sound like an interesting feature, but let's be real here, DTG has a lot more important things they could be working on instead of things like this. Definitely a gimmick.

• Like Like x 3
  45. ARuscoe

There are a lot of things DTG could work on, a lot of ways DTG could work in but whether each individual thing would keep everyone happy is debateable. Fixing bugs will only help those who use the DLC involved. Releasing the editor will only help those who want third party content. Bringing more variety (of any kind) to the game is a double edged sword.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Anthony Pecoraro

They are still working on other things. This is mostly handled by the DTL staff.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Mastery Tier 1 Challenges:

GWE:

[​IMG]

MSB
    [​IMG]

LIRR
    [​IMG]

NTP:
    [​IMG]

48. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

So I have the update and there's an intro screen that says what you have to do to unlock stuff but I think I've pretty much done most of them. It's not clear if it starts from now or is retrospective. I get an additional GWE "diorama" but I can't select it and I have a "choose overlays" button which only gives me Reading Festival but can't seem to do anything with it either. I wonder if it is, in itself, bugged.

49. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Please tell me the tutorial ones are retroactive...

• Like Like x 1
  50. TrainSim-Dmitri

None of the challenges are retroactive

• Helpful Helpful x 1