PC Why Do Updates Take So Long To Install

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kalteVollmilch, Oct 30, 2019.

1. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I was curious as to why updates for TSW always take a small eternity to install.
    I'm installing the Mastery update now, and it's already been installing for 20 minutes, and isn't finished yet. This is definitely not cause by my internet, which is a 1Gbit connection, and working flawlessly at the moment. Besides, the update is only about 300Mb in size.
    Still, my HDD is sitting at 100% usage all the time, while Steam has to hold back the downloading of parts of the update, because some update-magic-thingy is busy doing its thing.

Does someone else experience this or am I alone? Or is this a typical UE4 thing and I just didn't notice yet?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I would assume it is how UE4 engined games update (ie instead of just appending files they actually change many files within the installation)

I'm fairly certain other UE4 games are the same, so its not just a TSW thing

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Same, that's normal for UE4 games.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

The problem is how UE4 stores stuff in pack files and how Steam updates these files.
    300MB is the size of the changes, but steam then has to read and write all files in whole that get touched by those 300MB, what tends to be most of the pack files. At the moment on my PC thats 140GB if every route is touched.
    So your HDD now has to read AND write all those files to integrate those changes. That will take long.. and in read and write parallel takes even longer. The only way to make that quicker is to switch to SSD.

• Like Like x 1