Give Suggestions For 4449 Physics Upgrade

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rasucit Nemilos, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Rasucit Nemilos

Rasucit Nemilos Member

Hello everyone! I’m working on a physics upgrade for Southern Pacific 4449 and I wanted to ask you guys about what some things I should do are. I won’t do anything unrealistic like give it a million pounds of tractive effort or brakes that can stop the train instantly, but almost anything else, I can do.

So far, I’ve fixed a problem the 4449 has with its compressors — that’s why the air brake would never fully release after being applied on a moving consist — and now it can maintain brake pressure endlessly. I haven’t tested to see if it still messes up after some time, but I know it can be put into emergency ten times or more without losing any air. Since I’m still messing with it, tell me if you prefer 110 PSI or 90 PSI. Tell me also if you like the old brakes better or would like to use a #8 air brake version.

I also turned it into a locomotive that operates relatively the same as UP 844 — though I never changed stoking — and it can exceed 110 miles per hour now. I derailed before finding out exactly how fast it could go, but it held 119 up a small grade.

Let me know if there are any other questions you have about this, and feel free to give me suggestions for this, as well as criticism. I’ll take into account anything I hear. Speaking of hearing, I’m also testing different whistles and bells I find on the internet with the Daylight, and if you have any suggestions (other than sound packs made specifically for 4449) feel free to put a link for them below

Thanks for reading, and have a great day railfans! And tell me, have any of you seen the Big Boy around? I did an upgrade for that too, which I’ll release if enough people want me to.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

3. Rasucit Nemilos

Rasucit Nemilos Member

I had a feeling I’d get that comment eventually.

Back then I was a beginner and didn’t really know much about what I was changing, I just messed around with audio in ways everyone's done and did some random things with physics like increasing the reverser range or brake PSI.

This time I’m doing everything I can to make the most realistic, powerful, and appealing version possible. I’ve created three whistles, a bell, and I’ve created an air horn and modified another. I’ve also swapped out wheelscrape sounds for those on 844 and air brake sounds for those on Big Boy. I’ve done a lot of other things but I don’t want to say everything.

Unfortunately I’ve been locked out of the account I posted that upgrade with, so I’ll be using my new one SteamForever4449 to post this upgrade.

Will be coming sometime between November 10th and November 23rd