Tsw: The Tees Type Two

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Nov 1, 2019.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

More bygone freight operations are set to come to life in Train Sim World, as the iconic BR Class 31 is coming soon in all its thrashy glory!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 17
  2. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Look forward to it, more BR Blue more old school stuff please!!

Any chance this can also be used on Trans Pennine as a substitute?

• Like Like x 11
  3. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

I want bought it as every TSW DLC, but You should make finally modern UK Routes and Trains and not always 80s.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Yay, a goyle. Just one livery though? Skinhead version?

5. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

I was literally just about to ask what happened to loco DLCs, didn't get any of these for a long time.

6. 333talgo

333talgo Well-Known Member

Beautiful loco! It looks really nice! :love:

• Like Like x 2
  7. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

Looks promising, I like the old BR stuff. But first I have to make the decision to buy TVL or not.

8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  9. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

Hope they are going to be usable on NTP the BR blue 31 would fit in the early 80's era on that route.
    Often subbing in for the larger type 4's on passenger and freight.
    Probably out perform the current class 47 too..

• Like Like x 9
  10. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

If it 's going to be used on wsr and ntp, I'm buying right away. Otherwise, not until at least 50% discount.
    A Halloween bundle with class 33 and 52 at an attractive price would be a top seller, imho. And an awesome holiday treat.
    ...Welp, maybe next year... :D

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Manclion

76602157_2697069120314971_1983276572848685056_n.jpg

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. Manclion

Looks like it isn't coming to NTP then, not powerful enough for freight and needs different coaches apparently!
    Don't understand why, so a pair can't handle freight and not compatible with Mark 2's??
    If no ETH is the excuse that's wrong (class 40's don't either)
    I don't understand DTG logic..

13. ARuscoe

[​IMG]

Class 31 rescues a class 101 at Leeds, 1989...
    Maybe people need to think outside of the box as to the use of these units, it's not all about service mode after all

• Like Like x 11
  14. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

Great a class 31 looking forward to this. Hope like others it can be sub into the NTP route. Would be nice to have the BR Mk1 from WSR but in BR Blue + Grey and have them as DMU substitute services on both TVL and NTP.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Think the Mark IIs on NTP are dual braked, dual heat and your point about the 40 is exactly right. Wouldn't stop 31s being used with freight if you had the freight pack. Two 31s have more power than a single Class 40, 45 or 47.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Not powerful enough for the freight role? Isn't that what they will be used for on TVL?!

• Like Like x 3
  17. ARuscoe

Double headed, yup, as cement freighters, so already bulk haulage.
    Maybe only able to haul less length of oil or steel than the existing so they may not be able to be subbed as easily as a direct replacement, but they could run additional services

18. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I've always thought blue/grey Mark Is from WSR would be ideal on NTP. They could also be used for things like football specials.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Manclion

I've even seen a single 31 on a newspaper train with load 12 on passing through Greenfield back in the day.
    I'm sure there's pics on Flickr with 31's on this route.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Always a sucker for the 31. Color me intrigued

21. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

Can we at least drive it on wsr?

22. ARuscoe

23. kikelj.blaz

kikelj.blaz Member

Please make it to be useful in other Britain routes (NTP, WSR and maybe even GWE-that route really need something new)
    And if you add freight services on WSR it would be perfect.
    Fingers crossed:D

• Like Like x 1
  24. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

This is an exceptionally high quality looking locomotive. Looking forward to taking her out on the line!

25. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Interesting, looks nice.

I haven't bought TVL 1\ because it hasn't been reduced much yet and 2\ because it's only had the one main line loco in it. This might sway me. However it's annoying that seemingly it's going to be limited to the one route only, at the moment anyway.

I agree the console class 47 is barely powerful enough for the freight! Actually I suspect it's currently on par with a 31. The 31 would easily haul the van services by itself anyway. It could also double up with any of the other blue star locos. And triple heading is not unheard of!
    You don't need ETH during the summer months either. ;)

Huddersfield
    Screenshot_2019-11-01-13-08-11-956.jpeg
    Just needs a class 20 adding now!

(Image from Rail Photoprints)

• Like Like x 7
  26. ARuscoe

Not disagreeing that this route needs some life, but a 31 in West London in the time the route is set?

27. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

looking forwards to the class 31 and i have seen them on the NTP route as im from Manchester and live in Leeds. i have also seen them on WSR as visiting locos. im a regular visitor there

• Like Like x 2
  28. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Might be a special train chartered from a museum. It wouldn't go like once every hour of course, but a handful of services over the day... why not. Only, what to do at Paddington, we'd need a shunter too, then.

29. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Pairs of 31s common on oil:
    [​IMG]31205 and 31126 take the Lindsey to Leeds oil tanks through Stainforth & Hatfield at 14:50. by Jeremy Gould, on Flickr

[​IMG]31185 and 31199 bring a rake of oil tanks through Doncaster at 11:45. by Jeremy Gould, on Flickr

[​IMG]31231 & 31168 work the 12:14 Norwich to Ripple Lane oil tanks through Stratford. From here the train goes to Temple Mills where the locomotives run-round and then proceed back through Stratford and on to their destination. by Jeremy Gould, on Flickr

Looking at my Platform 5s:
    In the 1989 book, TE had 15 Class 31s allocated of which 12 were for departmental duties and the remaining three assigned to the FAMA (Freight Aggregates Thornaby) pool.
    In my 1990 book (which reflects the latter part of 1989), TE had seven Class 31s allocated of which four were for departmental duties and three were assigned to FALY (Railfreight Aggregates Thornaby).

Cement traffic in the area appears to be to/from two terminals at Middlesbrough (Castle Cement and Blue Circle Cement). There's also a Blue Circle terminal at Eastgate on a freight only line beyond Bishop Auckland.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. ARuscoe

DTG tend to try to stick to things which actually happened and happened enough for people to use them more than once. A special service doesn't fit that brief
    (and yes, I know bugs mean things make them not as happened, but I did say they TRY)

• Like Like x 1
  31. Manclion

32. Manclion

images.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  33. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I've not got TVL either. Been waiting for it to be reduced. The freight services are too short for me and I feel that this add-on might not change that as I guess it will only run between Middlesbrough and Darlington (15 miles).

34. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

6FF62DB3-041E-479D-A3A1-1CE98A891687.jpeg Double headed 31’s plus 5 coach service from Huddersfield to Leeds, and a shortish 12t van rake service. Plus a Cement train on the line is plausible. 31s quite frequently doubled up on TEA trains in the NTP area. I would have thought a crossover for NTP was a given. I was thinking cement tanks on the GWML behind an EWS 66 too.
    I would enjoy a class 31, but as said above. A run from Darlington to Middlesbrough is a bit plain.

35. Manclion

So we have trains on German routes that don't run there in reality or never have done?
    But they give us a loco which we can only use on one route but can't use it on a route where they were regular performers in reality.. Seriously?

• Like Like x 5
  36. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

As has already been mentioned I'm disappointed that its going to be TVL only. I'd have ideally liked it to have been in NTP and WSR (Green toffee apple please) as per the German loco crossover. No reason as to why not, they were as ubiquitous as the 47's at the time. Not my favourite loco by any means but I'd have bought it if it had have been. Couldn't have been any worse performance wise than the 47 as it currently stands on NTP!
    Without wishing to go totally Victor Meldrew I'm all up for loco dlc, obviously British being my personal preference, but it needs to be cross route available for me to justify the price or something I really want (Class 55 please). Sadly the 31 isn't even in my top 10.

• Like Like x 3
  37. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I try not to be negative about TSW. On the whole I think its fantastic. There are PC users who have had Train Sim classic and all its features for years and expect more. That said Im not the happiest of Bunnies after wasting a day 1st downloading mastery, then running specific services in the game to find none or only 5% of my efforts meant anything. To then find out theres a loco DLC-Great. Then the revelation that its only appropriate for TVL.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I guess it will be ÂŁ11.99 for one locomotive and one wagon which doesn't compare well to the NTP freight pack (two locomotives and two wagons) but maybe that was an anomaly.

39. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Would’nt have cared about it having less stock. If we could make use of it wherever possible. If this particular class 31 didnt suit other routes as they are, then why make it now? Or if indeed it only suits TVL. Give us more liveries. Railfreight. Engineers grey/yellow for example.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looks great and looking forward to adding this to my content.

41. Manclion

I'd love to know the reasoning on not being usable on NTP,
    A) Needs different coaching stock,
    Why are the mark 2's and the BG not compatible? (dual braked)

B) Not powerful enough for freight?(not even in pairs) what about the van services.
    Hope a DTG staff member can answer these questions please?
    Preferably not on Discord.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I agree. If it could be used elsewhere, then that would make it much better value.

43. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

It's a mistake not to have the 31 on NTP, I definitely think it's possible. It's a real shame because although I like TVL and the Class 31, a 15 mile freight run isn't great. Would be better if it came with another passenger loco *cough* Pacer *cough*

• Like Like x 1
  44. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

While the 31 is of course a great fit for the North Trans-Pennine route, it wouldn't slot in to many of the existing services at all (you can't sub a pair in for a single for example) and would need a new service layer to be constructed. There wasn't the opportunity to do that for this pack unfortunately. If the opportunity presents to add a 31 layer to the NTP pack then of course it's something that can be looked into.

There is also something heavy about the memory usage on the NTP route at the moment and until we have that isolated and resolved I'm wary about increasing the load on the route and potentially creating problems for people.

So - absolutely not saying that it doesn't fit, but that it specifically doesn't fit the specific services that are currently on the route bearing in mind substitution can only sub one vehicle for one vehicle, it can't change the formation. If we can add a new layer in the future, that would enable some interesting possibilities using the existing stock I think, but to be completely clear and transparent - that is not on a plan at the moment.

Matt.

• Helpful Helpful x 12
    • Like Like x 8
  45. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Response Matt, Your response makes sense and look forward to the 31 in the TVL route which will have four trains now with the 31 added.

46. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Once again Matt, appreciate the candour. Good for building trust :) Looks like a great locomotive but as you might have guessed Im somewhat immersed in NTP at the moment. Might get it in a few weeks though. Good to see the product starting to consolidate and options opening up.

47. Mikey_9835

That makes sense. Appreciate the insight.

48. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You will be able to do that in TSW timetable mode. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  49. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Yes the class 31 hauling a dead 101 on a passenger service the lenght of the route, running around the 101 at Saltburn and then heading back to Darlington is good fun :)

The runaround in Saltburn is interesting because of having to back the train out to the loop and then once you're on the west end, backing back in to the station again - it's just a generally interesting move imho.

This does mean you get to run the 31 on the entire length of the TVL though too, not just Darlington to Tees.

Matt.

• Like Like x 15
  50. Mikey_9835

Ok now it's getting interesting.