Tsw: The Tees Type Two

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Nov 1, 2019.

1. d_stevanov

d_stevanov Active Member

From all I can read here, it's best to just skip this dlc for now and wait for next British route, which should be coming soon anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

The loco looks nice, I like the cab in these. This is going to be a great addition to the roster I'm sure.

The cement wagons look really strange to me, like model train someone stepped on. I've never seen a shape like this, we have entirely different cement wagons here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mickelmickle

mickelmickle Member

Another excellent addition to TSW,

4. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

There are two similar types - the PCA wagon is the more traditional looking cylinder, and the one in this pack is the PCA-V which is bent in the V shape, I believe to aid in emptying it.

Matt.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, the Class 08s can have a little fun with those Cement Tankers. Other than that, can't wait. :)

6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I thought that too. lol

7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

R
    Read the promo material, already, Jez!

8. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Errrm. I did. That's the point I was making in response to the image posted by Manclion. Namely:

upload_2019-11-1_15-47-47.png

9. LastTrainToClarksville

Freight, glorious freight! And what an intro package: not just the usual NEWS hype, but also an "Add this to tour wishlist on Steam" link (which I've done) that includes a release date of November 14. Sure, another piece of rolling stock or three to sweeten the deal wouldn't displease me one bit and I agree that adding it to NTP would be nice, but Matt's explanation makes sense without shutting the door on the eventual possibility.

For my money, this addition makes a lot more sense than "Mastery".

10. LastTrainToClarksville

Oops! My apologies.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DTG Matt

Not powerful enough to do the freight services currently on NTP's freight layer - with new freight services, sure, but as I said, I didn't have scope to add more traffic to NTP for reasons already outlined.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Not powerful enough as a single you must mean. As I've said, a pair of 31s is more powerful than a single 40/45/47. I guess it's more to do with the ability to swap a single 40/45/47 with a pair of 31s as you've alluded to.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DTG Matt

Yes - if you want to change formation in any way it means new services on a new layer, you can only do a "1 for 1" with substitution currently.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I know. That's why I said he'd alluded to exactly that. I need a coffee.

15. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Yep, I had to read your post twice as well to see you mentioned that part. Apologies.

• Like Like x 1
  16. thearkerportian

The 31 should be powerful enough to substitute an 08 that didn't want to start. :)
    Is substitution an option for WSR services? With the generous amounts of time to get from A to B we have there it might not be TOO unfeasible to have the 31 in place of a 47, let alone a 33.

17. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

I don't get why the 31 wouldn't be compatible with the current coaching stock on NTP though?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Interesting to hear the reasoning. Hopefully something that will be sorted / added to your plans in future. Until then, unless there's a decent sale, I don't have TVL, so I'm ruled out of this too.

Is there much resource being dedicated to bug fixing / improving existing DLC routes? The way that all the trains sub into RRO is great, and it would be good to see the RRO trains go the other way too, plus any possible cross-pollenation between UK route locos (where appropriate) too.

19. thearkerportian

True. Except the RRO train (ET 422) Can't be used appropriately anywhere else yet. The black 185 can, of course.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Probably because it would lose time on the current MK2 rakes meaning the timetable mode would be chucked into disarray. Timetable mode is set up to resemble 'Normal working' which 31s on Trans Pennine were not. They did work those trains but only as a last resort when control had nothing else. Scenarios representative more of degraded working I guess so that would be the place for them or shorter passenger rakes of stock in timetable mode.

21. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Dribbling at the thought of a screaming Grid, head and shoulders wobbling in that unique way at the Pacer!

Do appreciate the reply Matt along with the reasoning. I don't any of us are being negative per se just trying to see what perhaps the current boundaries are.
    If I'm being honest I was hoping for a 56 or Class 20 on TVL in terms of DLC as I hadn't yet convinced myself to buy it and would have if either had shown up. Still time for that though I hope!!

22. zane88

zane88 Active Member

I was thinking the same thing.

• Like Like x 1
  23. kikelj.blaz

kikelj.blaz Member

Ok, maybe class 31 is not for GWE, but it can get something different, perhaps an electric loco...

24. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Can we have a light loco service in all the old set British DLC's so any new engine can be substituted? Then we can run it on different routes.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Cement on GWE behind a 66?
    The 31 could do the vans to leeds service

26. Anthony Pecoraro

GWE can’t run electric trains. The wires are just props.

27. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I was hoping a class 31 would become available so very happy it is being released. However I will echo other thoughts about them being available on NTP taking into account Matt's comments regarding memory usage on NTP and layering.

Class 31's were used on some Trans-Pennine services, possibly not Newcastle to Liverpool so much but I think other destinations like Scarborough or some on the services which ran into North Wales. In the later 80's both Gateshead and Crewe had class 31/4's which were ETH fitted (and I am sure dual braked) in the Provincial Trans-Pennine pool (PTPA), I am not sure why it is said the coaches are not compatible? I am sure some of the class 31/1's were dual braked too. They were used a lot on Parcels traffic too.

28. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

All the 31s were dual braked in 1989. Most 31/4s were Bescot/Immingham/Crewe machines if I remember. Don't think GD had any. But remember it's a 31/1 that's being offered here.

29. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

31/4s had booked work on the South Pennine route through Chinley, mainly on 4 MK1/MK2 vehicles Liverpool to Sheffield after the 124s went mid eighties onwards. They never had booked work on the 7 coach Scarborough/Newcastle Liverpool diagrams as they would certainly drop time and train Crew knowledge in the North West didn't exist. 45/1s displaced off the Midland Mainline were the frontline booked traction along with Gateshead 47s. Victoria and Lime Street crew didn't sign 31s until mid eighties as Class 25s were the North Wests type 2s.

• Like Like x 1
  30. thearkerportian

Same situation as always. Germany gets not even 20% of their trains accurate to the route and era, Brits can't drive their locos on more than one route because some minute detail would be not fully accurate.

• Like Like x 2
  31. theorganist

Yes they did, they had a few according my Ian Allan platform 5 book from 1988 and Crewe had many and they alongside Gateshead supplied traction for the trans-pennine service.. Even so non ETH loco's were regularly used on passenger trains back in 1983 so it would not be unusual to see a 31/1 on passenger services.

32. theorganist

Okay thanks for that, I stand corrected I assumed those in the NTPA pool were used on that route.

33. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Yep. Apologies. Can see six GD 31/4s in my 1988 P5.

And agree about 31/1 on passenger services. Some may still have had working boilers in 83.

• Like Like x 1
  34. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Ahhh... the ubiquitous "sock"... because they were useless unless they were a pair...!!!

• Like Like x 1
  35. theorganist

That is later than the route setting and it seems they weren't used on passenger services on NTP so I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I am sure I have seen photo's on them on parcels on that route though will have to do some googling!

Still I am looking forward to the loco's release will add some more variety to TVL.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Anthony Pecoraro

The 31 would not be able to keep the timetable with the passenger trains due to its physics. That’s why.

37. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

The thing is, the console physics for the 47 isn't right anyway. It's probably similar to a 31 and as 31s did occasionally deputise for 45s/47s any failure to keep to the timetable would reflect reality.

• Like Like x 1
  38. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I can understand where a late running train can mess up the ai dispatcher. I saw this when learning the 101. That said. Surely there are straight forward swaps for the 31. Again,vans to Leeds.?Or the 5 coach service from Huddersfield to Leeds after the 08 has split the rake. WSR? The loco isnt tied to any specific name or number is it? How about subbing in for the 09, 08 or 33?
    The cement wagons are still or were used on modern services? Why not GWE with the EWS 66.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

But that could happen with any train being driven by a player. Even using the "proper" traction as per your example. If it did get used on NTP, I suggest it shouldn't be chosen for AI passenger services. Only player services for those that want to try their luck at keeping to a Type 4 timing.

• Like Like x 4
  40. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

Well that's a bummer

41. Manclion

Manclion Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  42. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Beautiful and interesting loco, I will surely buy it when it's released. But... is it also avaiaiable in verkehrsrot livery? ;) Because we need something to drive on german unelectrified branch lines. Yes, I have seen the explanation why it is difficult, but it's kind of urgent by now.

43. thearkerportian

You just put pictures in my head that I don't want to be there! :D

Maybe we can agree on a compromise and put it in DB's 1970's ozeanblau-beige livery. (That might actually look nice on the 31)

44. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I'm not buying this if it's not available on NTP. It's bad enough that we can't create our own scenarios to permit the use of our rollingstock across all the routes we own, so it's disgraceful for DTG to release new rollingstock without scenarios for all the applicable routes.

The issues with memory on NTP are due to the poor optimization of the game. It's the same poor optimization that leaves consoles with low resolution textures and missing services in a vain attempt to compensate. The game should have been optimized properly in the first place, but instead we find it strangling further development of the game more than 2 years later. Combine the optimization issues with the purported cancellation of the Editor and the lack of testing and bug fixes in past DLC, and it's obvious TSW is on the path to ruin.

• Like Like x 3
  45. mickelmickle

mickelmickle Member

Digital Draftsman, if you think you can do better, bring it on, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 8
  46. Anthony Pecoraro

There are technical reasons why it’s not going to be on NTP for now. You would know that if you bothered to read Matt’s posts.

• Like Like x 7
  47. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

The Class 31 is a lovely looking locomotive but as TVL is still £24.99 plus an expected £11.99 for the loco dlc, I can’t justify buying them just yet. I’m holding out for the next UK route which will hopefully be electric ;)

• Like Like x 3
  48. thearkerportian

Some true points there, but in this case it's due to NTP-specific technical issues.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

There must be something wrong if a BR 80s route and DLC is not even appealing to me, a devotee of 80s traction. I am the niche target audience but it's not making me bite. It seems poor value. Even I think TVL should have had a Pacer from day one, and I hate the things.

• Like Like x 3
  50. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I think DD's point is those issues are of DTG's making as it's not been optimised, so on all fronts, DTG own the problem.

• Like Like x 3