Class 43 Slow

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hutchingsa, Jan 28, 2019.

1. hutchingsa

hutchingsa New Member

hi,

So I’m new to this and I am trying to get the Class 43 up to speed but it seems to be slow. I can get it quicker by starting the rear engine and putting the reverser into reverse then going back to the front to drive it but then I’m unable to stop it using normal brakes.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions?

Thanks

2. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

It's certainly not slow for me: 20190108204540_1.jpg
    Class 43 has a very long gearing that allows it to reach high speeds, but it also means that it has a very slow acceleration. You shouldn't have to turn on the second engine to drive quickly. The brakes are working as they should. It's just the fact that the second engine is pumping air into the brake circuit because it's brake handle is set to release so the first engine is unable to depressurize it.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

good luck stopping in 599 meters at that speed!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Gamborg

Gamborg Active Member

Yeah, you'll have to open the door and put your foot down! :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

make sure the rear cab is shut down and the parking brake is released.

6. J4mes

J4mes Member

I thought Class 43 used both engines at all times and they were controlled by the front cab (whichever one is leading at the time), without the need to change reverser in the other and stuff?

7. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I assumed this too. Seems weird not to - otherwise you'd be better off having a cab car at the other end and not towing around a weighty unused diesel engine. Maybe TSW simplifies the simulation by just running one of them at twice the power?!

8. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Yes, both power cars work together from one cab.

9. J4mes

J4mes Member

Maybe I will have to try and see if this happens to make any difference to my HST experience!! I must admit I never check the trailing end cab to see if the Engine Start Button actually does anything before we set off!!

10. J4mes

J4mes Member

Thought that might be the case Jez, Its a long time since I had the chance to stand on a platform in real life and have one go past me to make sure both ends where making the Valenta Sounds that will be missed so much!! Guess we are going to have to just imagine it in TSW and pretend that we are there!

11. kenna178015crook

kenna178015crook New Member

I am also encountering this issue. Dont know why its hapenning.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  12. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Is this after you've changed ends?

13. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

If you're in journey mode. Your train is probably 7/8 coaches between power cars. The only thing the rear should be doing is supplying power to the lighting etc. Round yellow? button on the dash. The reverser should be off and master key also off.
    If it is the case that you're pulling 7/8 coaches once you’re out of the 50 limit out of Paddington area, Im usually pushing 100mph at Acton then 115 -120 at Ealing.
    The journey mode in the tsw 2020 update features full length hst rakes now. Previously all we could have on console was a 6 coach rake.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Errrm. I hope not. Both power cars are needed to provide traction for the HST to operate as intended.

15. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

What I meant, and I suspect you know I meant is the ETS button.

16. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't. I was a bit confused by what you were trying to say.

• Like Like x 1
  17. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Not quite related to the original question but it made me think, can you actually shut down the engine of just the one power car in the game? I'm sure in the real thing if needed they could be isolated allowing the set to continue with a reduced performance.

18. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

19. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

The game as a whole is actually pretty good and very realistic to real life particularly with regard to the handling of units (e.g. 377/166). But the HST is way off and it is extremely disappointing because it is my favourite traction. The braking performance of the air brake behaves like a modern unit in the game; when releasing the brakes, it is almost instantaneous like modern units. Whereas it should be quite the opposite and take ages to release which is part of the fun/enjoyment of driving and stopping a HST as it is quite skilful. Applying the brakes isn’t too bad as there is a bit of delay but releasing them should take approx double the time because the brake pipe charges from one end only but it is almost instantaneous on TSW.

There are other issues as well such as not being able to take power before releasing the brakes- so you have to release the brakes fully before taking power which is wrong. 6 coach HST vice 8 means that acceleration is a lot faster than in real life (e.g. you get to 125 leaving at Paddington at about Southall rather than West Drayton). These are minor issues but the main frustration is the braking performance.

20. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

I assume you've been a GWR HST driver?

21. Olaf the Snowman

I’m a driver, I’ll leave you to guess where and what I sign :cool:

22. Jez

Jez Well-Known Member

Well it's good to have your input. Didn't realise HSTs only charge brakes from one end.

23. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

The simultaneous brake application is what allows the HST to run at 125mph, as it's the train's ability to stop which dictates its permitted top speed, rather than the theoretical top speed it could achieve. When it comes to releasing the brake, it's not nearly as important as applying it. You can still run a HST with the Brake Control Unit isolated on the rear power car, meaning the brake application begins from only the front power car, but you're limited to 100mph in that configuration.

The brake system on the HSTs is quite complicated, so it's not surprising DTG got it wrong. For example, it behaves differently depending on the speed. There's a high/low speed magnet valve in the brake distributor; The magnet is energised once the train reaches 90mph and de-energised when it falls below 90mph; The result is a reduced brake cylinder pressure on the power cars at speeds over 90mph and the opposite at speeds under 90mph. This reduces the in train forces during braking at higher speed.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  24. Olaf the Snowman

Yes, sounds familiar because when doing a brake test, you isolate the Brake Pipe Pressure Control unit E70 ‘switch’ (won’t let me use the correct word as it’s has other crude meanings) in your power car so that when you press the emergency plunger, the brake pipe loses air from the other end only thus proving continuity of the brake pipe.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020