PlayStation Rsn Is It A 66

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Dave Mel, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

i have been watching a few videos on youtube of Siegen to hagen real trains and cab views on a RB19, i think it was. the train was entering hagen and it passed what it think was a SHED class 66 in a green livery. not knowing german trains im thinking why cant we run this 66 on RSN as a diesel loco and run it to the power stations and other sidings.

• Like Like x 2
  2. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

EMD Class 66 is in service in Germany already. The official name is DB BR 266 here. I saw it in live on the top of a freight train together with a DB BR 151 at Werdau main station.

3. Dave Mel

now i wonder if its on the msb route. not seen any vids on msb. i wonder if matt will let us substitute the 66 on RSN now and go into sidings.

4. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Ive mentioned this in the past .Response was- Fine, If you want. You can run it when the editor comes out. Apart from that the entire cab and signalling systems aren't appropriate. For general use on German routes in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  5. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

It should also be noted that DB themselves don't run any 66s of their own in Germany. Only private TOCs do. MRCE, Captrain, TXL, RheinCrago... if it was green it might have been one of Ascendos. And yes, as stated already, they are quite a bit different from the British ones, especially in the cab. PZB, various guarding systems from other Eurpean countries. Several intruments at different places, they don't even have the typical "tower" to the right of the driver's seat.
    I've been inside one of RheinCargo's class 66 cabs once, it really was a wild mishmash of British, American, German, Dutch, Belgian, and probably even more components. The German ones including a wooden plank above the driver's knees so they have a "desk" to put their printed timetable on.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

The only green ones I've seen to date came from Freightliner, but maybe there are some other ones in green livery. Freightliner has a german youtube-channel, there one can have a look at the, in comparison to a 185 for example, very strange and messy cab.

7. thearkerportian

8. thearkerportian

Some impressions from the said German class 66's cab. More precisely, one of RheinCargo, pictures taken at an open day at their depot and repair shop.

DE61 Brühl-Vochem 09.09.2018 10b.jpg
    Overview. Note the LEDs for the train guarding systems of various European countries near the speedometer.
    DE61 Brühl-Vochem 09.09.2018 13b.jpg
    Starboard side view. No tower, instead a big telly for the Ebula
    DE61 Brühl-Vochem 09.09.2018 14b.jpg
    Overhead - pretty standard.
    DE61 Brühl-Vochem 09.09.2018 17b.jpg
    Stbd detail
    DE61 Brühl-Vochem 09.09.2018 18b.jpg
    Portside panel - throttle, brakes PZB...

It is also worth noting that the selection of guarding systems is highly depenent on where this particular engine's owner intends to use this particular engine. There may be differences even among 66's of the same TOC.

PS Dave Mel could you put a link to the video? Maybe someone can identify the engine.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dave Mel

here it is. i saw it around 24-25 mins time

• Like Like x 1
  10. thearkerportian

Ah, yes. That indeed does looks like an Ascendos class 66.
    [​IMG]

They are primarily a leasing company as far as I'm aware, supplying other TOCs with locos when they are in a shortage.

• Like Like x 1
  11. thearkerportian

Unless it's a JT42CWRM, known as a class 66/9 in Britain. That's a BR 247 in Germany. Sometimes also called the Class 77, courtesy of DB's French subsidiary.

Edit: I just read BR247 isn't the official number, but 266.4 instead. Nonetheless they are labeled as 247. I'm confused. -.-

12. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

So I think we can say that they are all the same but different.

13. thearkerportian

Same enough to derive an MRCE BR266 from the existing Class 66.
    Different enough that DTG staff will have to find a real loco they can work with.