Solved Game Stuttering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michael hooley, Nov 12, 2019.

1. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I have a i7 processor geforce 1080 graphics card, all ssd drives. but the constant stuttering of the sim has been driving me crazy. I have found the problem for me at least.
    i went to windows 10 settings, clicked on gaming, then top right, Graphics settings, this brought me to a screen I have never seen before. Under choose an app i clicked browse. then navigated to the rail works app then you click the add button. You can then optomize then. I found TSW, Railworks 64 and Railworks 32 were all set to default. I changed all 3 to High quality and walla, all stuttering gone.

A very happy Mike

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't forget that because TSx engine is so old it relies on single core performance, so having a high speed multicore processor can actually end up being slower than an older, but faster per core processor.

But yes, setting the game to high performance on your GPU would definitely help, as will setting all browsers to use the lower specced on board GPU if you have one. This frees up the big boy to be used for what you want to use it for

3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Which one for TSW did you choose

4. michael hooley

Michael It is a strange path to the tsw app file on my computer as follows. Steamapps - Common - Train Sim World - Windows Non Editor - TS2 Prototype.

Mike

5. Michael Newbury

Thanks I am going to give TS2020 a try tonight with those changes and see what happens, TSW was never bad but it wouldn't hurt to see what happens.

Thanks,

6. michael hooley

If it does not help, you can always change back.

7. Michael Newbury

Never hurts to give a try

8. Michael Newbury

So I gave it a try on TS2020 tonight and what a difference a absolutely smooth run very enjoyable. I am glad you stumbled across this and shared it. Tomorrow night is TSW hoping for the same results.

• Like Like x 1
  9. michael hooley

I have never come across this setting before in Windows 10, maybe it is something new or it has always been there?. All I know is I have spent many frustrating hours trying different settings, to no avail. and with one click the problem was solved. It would be nice if someone from DG could explain what the setting does and how it works?. As it has certainly improved my enjoyment of the sim.

Mike

10. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

High-performance mode forces Windows to use your dedicated GPU to run the game. Without it enabled Windows may try to use your integrated graphics instead if you haven't disabled these within your system's BIOS:
    https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/314/12/

You may also want to check your power settings to ensure it's not set to one of the power-saving modes as this can also limit your CPU and GPU performance. If you use a recent AMD CPU you may also want to ensure you have the new Ryzen power plan downloaded and enabled as this can make quite a difference too.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. michael hooley

Thank you Daniel.

Mike

12. brummie

brummie Active Member

Hi Mike,

Read this thread with interest.

I have TS 2020 and am I right in saying you browse to the 'Railworks' folder because in there I have 'Railworks' shown and 'Railworks 64', it is those two icons I click on to enter?

13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Railworks.exe is the 32 bit starter program
    Railworks64.exe is the 64 bit starter program

• Like Like x 1
  14. michael hooley

Those are the two Brummie, you need to add them individually, You can of course set any other app you have, Photoshop for instance.

15. brummie

brummie Active Member

Ok Mike,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

16. brummie

brummie Active Member

Hi Mike (Again),

Did as you described and it appears to work for me. I recently bought the DTG Wherry Lines and was enjoying having a blast along there but noticed in a few same places I was getting chronic stuttering approaching Norwich and always a couple of other places. Luckily I saved one scenario just before the 'stutter' (The sim was almost coming to a standstill), and ran again after applying the fix and it ran like mint!

I get high FPS most of the time on this route but it was bugging me a lot the stuttering in a few places as described.

Set both to high performance like you in the MS Graphics Settings. I have a GTX 1060 3GB graphics card.

Thanks so much for sharing this.

17. Michael Newbury

I never had any issues when I had windows 7, only once switched over to windows 10 that this started. Microsoft must have added a new feature for graphics on gaming.

Since I have made those changes I can enjoy train sim the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The recommended setting for the game are
    Memory: 4 GB RAM (maximum possible under 32-bit Windows)/16 GB or Better (For 64-bit Windows)

Your graphics card is a bit underpowered for the game

Peter

19. brummie

brummie Active Member

Hi Peter,
    I have also 16 GB Ram, running the 64-bit version, yeah maybe it is. This Wherry Lines (WL) I am running with at the moment is the first route I have really had just a few issues with, all my other routes run OK. With WL I get the occasional stutter (Not many) and was almost freezing momentarily till I applied this 'fix' or setting.

Have a good weekend

20. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Sorry I should have said your Graphics Card is a little low on memory

21. capncol

capncol Member

I have used this setting for a while and it does work for me too. The problem is that (at least on my pc) some windows updates change various settings back to default and this is one of them.
    I can be playing with a smooth sim for a week or two then it suddenly goes all stuttery again. My trouble is remembering where all these settings are so I can check them and put them back again. I have to have a crib sheet that has a snapshot of all my graphics card settings (they also change with some card updates) and now I will make sure this is also included.
    All the best
    Colin

• Like Like x 2
  22. michael hooley

I did not realise that Colin, thank you

Mike

23. Michael Newbury

Thanks for the heads up Colin I will have to keep a eye on the settings after updates are installed.

24. brummie

brummie Active Member

Thanks from me too, interesting that, will certainly keep my eye on that one.

25. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

How shameless DTG admits what's really amiss with TSW ...
    Reading between the lines says IMO there must be an editor version ...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  26. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

I've always set the graphics settings with the graphics card's control panel (ie. nVidia control panel) rather than using Windows settings. By default I have all programs using the nVidia card. I guess there's always more than 1 way of skinning a cat as they say.

I also found, since Win10, disabling turbo boost has helped with frame rates in most games. I didn't know what that was or that Win10 turns it on by default until I did some web searching on it.