Loco Substitution Via Mods

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by kalteVollmilch, Nov 4, 2019.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I am so happy with the 422 on all the German routes, totally immersive! What a great community :)

3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Some of the names are licenced so they couldn't use them, why else do you think they would include some and not others?! Probably best to have a go at the owners of the loco's rather than having a go at DTG!

4. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

I don't know you tell me, you seem to have all the answers.

Anthony Pecoraro, thanks buddy, appreciate the info.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

No problem.

• Like Like x 1
  6. theorganist

Well they would use the names for all of them if they could.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Maybe not but they could at least arrange it so it spawns numbers they have names for.
    Having the Western run round without a nameplate is just stupid as they had them when built new

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  8. theorganist

I agree I would rather they hadn't bothered with the ones they didn't have names for.

9. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Names and licensing doesn't wash with me I'm afraid and I would really love DTG's input on this, I posted a few months back about the Class 40's not being named, how can this be a license issue when a) the loco no longer exists, b) BR no longer exist, c) The Liner they were named after no longer exist! Where is the problem!?! I'm not having a go, I just want to know why? Same can be said for Class 45 and 47's, why can't we have named ones appear in those?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

Interesting !! ... any tips for the mods on the site that really work?

11. hightower

hightower Guest

Have to say I agree. Armstrong Powerhouse manage to put nameplates on all their locos, many of them still in use. They also manage to put the correct branding on any and everything they release via a free patch for the paid product. They are in the exact same business and I don’t believe for one minute that there is one rule for DTG and one rule for AP.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not always a case of rules being enforced so could be DTG more worried about being sued or less worried about seeking permission for whatever reason.
    Not sure if AP are registered Ltd or not, which would also make a big difference litigation wise

13. hightower

hightower Guest

I’d tend to agree, although you’re either breaching brand copyright and profiting from it or you aren’t. Ltd company or not, they’d be just as liable in court.

That said, I think you are correct in that DTG seem to be extremely risk averse in this regard. Law generally works on precedent however, and given none of these companies (with 1 exception) have gone after AP for a significant number of years, it would take a very good lawyer to make the case that whilst it’s ok for AP to do it, it’s not ok for DTG.

It will be what it is, but personally I’m not sure I buy into the ‘no nameplates because of Licensing’ line.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, they all work. I recommend using a translator on the descriptions, because some of the mods are not entirely straightforward to get working. Follow the descriptions however, and everything should be alright.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ARuscoe

Obviously that's not how the courts work and "Well they get away with it, so I can too" isn't a defense I would imagine would go down too well.
    The difference for me would be AP is a few guys making maybe a few thousand a year. DTG's finances are public record as a limited company, but yes, it's very likely that DTG are risk averse and so avoid such things wherever possible

VTEC?

16. hightower

hightower Guest

Whilst not a defence in itself, any lawyer representing a company wanting to go after someone for copyright infringement in this situation would very likely have to win a debate with any half decent defence barrister as to why they hadn’t gone after another company in the exact same business, making the exact same type of products for the same game under the same circumstances.

That defence would have to be pressure tested in court assuming there isn’t already precedent for it one way or the other. The law around software is very complicated and I’d imagine that’s why DTG take a risk averse approach.

Anyway, this is getting wildly off topic. It was VTEC btw, which is why no AP products have any Virgin branding on them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

More liveries mean more work. Simple as that. Why make a blue and a grey class 31 if people pay just as much for only a blue one.

• Like Like x 1
  18. theorganist

I agree about the BR blue models, I would like to have seen the names ones offered. With regards the Western's it is strange that they included some names and not others, there is obviously a reason for it.

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

With the Class 52 Sound Pack AP only provided 6 different BR Blue versions of the Western as they were Charging for them
    Vulcan Productions made reskins of 32 locos of the Class and they were Free so it did not matter about Copyright

Peter

20. hightower

hightower Guest

The AP 52 was a sound pack though, not a standalone loco.

Have you seen their Class 37 for example? Enough logos, nameplates and liveries to literally sink a battle ship!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
  21. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Thanks again to trainsimcz!

I'm having great fun running the Class 31 on NTP! Here's a Speedlink working consisting of cement tanks with a few oil tanks on the back.
    20191118230625_1.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  22. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, does it suffer from the loss of sound as TVL? Does the game think its pulling an oil service or is it accounting for the individual wagons?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  23. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

It's had sound on all 3 of the services I tried it on so far, maybe that's because it's a single loco versus double head or loco and DMU on TVL services?

The game lists it as an oil service in the menu, but the physics of the train represent the consist displayed.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. hightower

hightower Guest

The loss of sound is (was) limited to specific loco numbers. A fix is meant to have been released today.

The numbers...

25. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Dosent look like its dropping today. Maybe tomorrow. Weird how loco sound can be dictated by numbers?

26. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

Apparently, for the Class 31 they tried implementing slight engine audio changes based on the loco number. A pretty good idea - it's nice hearing two locomotives that don't have exactly the same engine sounds, although it is a bit of a shame that they couldn't get all the bugs in the system worked out before release.

• Like Like x 2
  27. hightower

hightower Guest

They apparently have a system a bit like AP use that changes engine sounds based on the loco number. It’s not really been implemented on many locos as yet but is on the 31. Obviously there was an issue with it that caused the sound to drop on those numbers. If the fix isn’t out today hopefully we’ll see it tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ARuscoe

Not really if they're not all modelled the same or use different sounds channels etc.

29. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Perhaps it might have something to do with the 32 channel limit as explained by Matt P in another thread?:

Link to full thread: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/dtg-when.18916/

30. hightower

hightower Guest

I’m not sure it is in this instance. It’s a newish feature that had a problem - works on some locos but not others.

The fix didn’t appear on Steam yesterday as promised, hopefully we’ll see it today.

31. flamingoodmedia

flamingoodmedia Member

I've found recently that the all UK locos / all UK routes unlocker for me personally crashes running most things in NTP within TSW2, is the mod designed for the original TSW ? That could be why, I like the idea with the BR blue mods I run of the 33 & 20 to use those in conjunction with the Western Legends pack coming out tomorrow for GWE ...

The all locos / routes unlocker seems to work for all other routes as it is inside TSW2 but not at all when running anything in NTP inside TSW2 (confirmed by removing each mod DLL one at a time until the crashing mod was found) ... Please could this be checked if not already reported please ?

*** To update, with the release of Western Legends this mod blocks all NTP / TVL trains from being visible in GWE

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1