Nickel Plate Road H Class Mikado

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

While the Nickel Plate was most well known for it's large and powerful Berkshires for freight operations, it's fleet-footed Mikados were just as capable of living up to the NKP's high speed standards. Their first batch of 2-8-2s were designed by former New York Central engineer, Gus Ayers and built by Lima and ALCO in 1917. This first set of 35 locomotives were designated as H5's. The locomotives had 63 inch drivers, baker valve gear, a maximum boiler pressure of 180 PSI and a tractive effort of about 49,000 pounds. During World War I, the USRA had seized control of all of America's railroads, and began mass-producing standardized locomotives. As a result, the NKP received 10 USRA deigned locomotives, designated as H6's. The Nickel Plate was so impressed by the locomotive's performance that they later ordered 61 more locomotives of the same design by Lima from 1920-1924. This set of locomotives were equipped with Walschaerts valve gear, a mechanical stoker, larger tenders, and a maximum boiler pressure of 200 PSI. The NKP also inherited several mikados after acquiring the Lake Erie & Western Railroad in 1923, and leasing the Wheeling & Lake Erie in 1949. By the late 50s steam was being phased out on the NKP. Many of their Mikados were either sold to smaller railroads, or scrapped by 1960. Today there are 3 surviving Mikados. #624 which was recently acquired by the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society and moved from it's former home in Hammond, Indiana; #639 on display in Bloomington Illinois; and #587 (former LE&W #5541) which is being stored in pieces in Ravenna, Kentucky after its owners (the Indiana Transportation Museum) ran into trouble with the law while the locomotive was undergoing an FRA mandated rebuild.
    I believe that this locomotive would make for a nice addition to Train Simulator, as it (like some of my other proposals) would make for a great mid-sized American engine which I think is something the game has been lacking. In terms of a route for it to run on, I think that my previously proposed NKP route from Bellevue, Ohio to Fort Wayne, Indiana via Fostoria would go great with it. What do you guys think? Is this a good idea?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

The Nickel Plate certainly doesn't have the love it deserves in TS, what with an outdated and slightly low quality G-Trax S-2 DLC and G-Trax lightweight reskin on RWA. I vote a solid yes on this suggestion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

you have my vote as a hell yes for this to be made!

• Like Like x 1