PC [solved]service Mode: Starting With A Freight Consist Switching The Brakes To Goods+air ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by VION, Nov 16, 2019.

1. VION

VION Active Member

Hello,
    On the NTP route in service mode when running a freight consist with Tank wagons at start the loco i.e. Class 40 always is setup on Air+Passengers brake mode. I know it is necessary to switch on Air+Goods brake mode that I know how to do.
    But the question is : before to switch on Goods+Air brake mode does it necessary to release totaly the brakes applied on the consist then to uncouple the loco from the first tank wagon then switch to Air+goods brake mode then couple again the loco to the first tank wagon and reapply or make a test brakes?
    Or only at start is it enough to switch on the Air+Goods brake mode that would be the most simpliest process to set the right brake mode and ready to run the consist without having braking problems ?
    Any advice how you guys you proceed will be very appreciated.

Cheers
    Gerard

2. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

1. Enter the No. 1 Cab (look for the notice on the nose access door) and set the Battery
    Isolation Switch to the Normal position.
    2. Enter the rear cab (the opposite end of where you’ll be driving from) and check the
    following:
    a. Master Key is Off.
    b. Handbrake is Released.
    c. Driver’s Brake is in the Cab Shutdown position and the Brake Pin is engaged.
    d. Reverser is Off.
    e. Cab Changeover Lever (on the rear bulkhead) is Off.
    f. AWS Isolation Lever (on the rear bulkhead) is Isolated.
    g. If running light loco, set Tail Light A and Tail Light B to On.
    h. If the rear cab is also the No.2 Cab, ensure the brake mode selection switch
    is also set to the appropriate setting for your train. For light loco running,
    ensure it is set to Air Brake Passenger mode. The brake mode setting alters
    how quickly the brakes apply and release. For goods/freight trains, the brakes
    apply and release a little slower which minimises “snatching” (where trailing
    vehicles violently move back and forth in response to the brakes catching)
    and therefore excessive strain on the vehicle couplings.
    i. All cab access doors and windows are closed, and interior lights are switched
    off when leaving the cab.
    3. Enter the forward cab (the driving position) and check the following:
    a. Master Key is On.
    b. Handbrake is Applied.
    c. Route Indicator is On.
    4. Check the appropriate brake mode indication is shown on the Secondman’s side of
    the cab.
    5. If you wish to run with AWS enabled:
    a. On the rear bulkhead, move the AWS Isolation Lever to Unisolated,
    b. On the rear bulkhead, move the AWS Cab Changeover Lever to On.
    6. Sit in the driver’s seat (if you wish, you can adjust the height of the seat before you
    take a seat).
    7. If you enabled AWS:
    a. The AWS Alarm will be sounding, press the AWS Reset Switch to clear it.
    8. Move the Driver’s Brake to the Full-Service position. If the brake is in the Cab
    Shutdown position, you will need to raise the Brake Pin in order to move the handle.
    9. Move the reverser to the Engine Only position.
    10. Press the Engine Start button and wait for the Engine Stopped light to extinguish.
    11. Wait for the Fault light to extinguish, which happens when the brakes are fully
    charged.
    12. If required, set the Instrument Lights to On and set the brightness level to a
    comfortable reading level.
    13. When ready to proceed, move the reverser to Forwards.
    14. Move the Driver’s Brake to the Running position.
    15. Move the Throttle to the On position until you’re rolling, then apply additional throttle
    as required. Locomotive speed can then be managed by careful use of the throttle
    and the brake. The Driver’s Brake can be used when an appropriate consist is
    coupled to the locomotive (hint, you can also use the Straight Air Brake to trim your
    train’s speed whilst coasting but, it should not be used for extended periods and must
    not be used whilst the throttle is applied). When running Light Loco (i.e. with no
    trailing vehicles), use the Locomotive Brake to manage your speed

3. VION

VION Active Member

Ok yes I rod the manual (thanks you for your remind) but what I'm don't sure is before to switch the brake mode is it needed to uncouple the loco from the first tank wagon. i.e. on TS 2020 Driving the Class 40 it is needed to switch the loco brake mode to vacuum+passenger before to couple to the carriage then switch to the right brake mode again after the carriage are coupled. What I wish to know is like in real life is it needed to uncouple the wagons before switching the brake mode or does it no matter at all. Yes in game I think the only thing to do is to switch to the right brake mode and I'm ready to start but not sure if in real life that is the right process.
    Thanks anyway for your interest.

4. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

You don't need to uncouple the locomotive from the train, you can just change the switch, although the train brake should be fully applied before doing so.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. VION

VION Active Member

Thank you for the comment and your response. I will follow your process.
    Cheers
    Gerard

6. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

You need to switch the master key off before changing brake modes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. VION

VION Active Member

Ah ?! I Don't knew that. Thank you for this accuracy. I will follow your process as close as possible.
    So to resume the process, before to switch the master key to on, I must apply the automatics brakes to the full application notch ( not in emergency notch ) then switch the brake mode and then I can switch the master key on and all others switches I need, right ?
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

Now will you look at that, Paddy. FAR too complicated for a Sunday Ride on a Train. I'll just head to the pub and get me a pint ..

Honestly, it does NOT look very tempting. A few of them handlings is OK, but 15? A simplified set should be select-able at least.
    If you go through all that, and then differing for each loc really annoys me at times. Especially where manuals are not clear or when you are stuck at a bug. There should be an in game help function. F1 works in Word and Excel, why not something alike here?