Online Server

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by chrisbaker1981, Nov 17, 2019.

1. chrisbaker1981

chrisbaker1981 Member

What about a server where players can log in and choose route and loco, that you own of course and then you are given some tasks. Many real players all on same route doing different thing, watching signals etc. Would be cool to play with online community. Maybe even can help each other out doing freight tasks. I don't know, haven't given it much thought but some way of the community playing with each other online would be great!

• Like Like x 3
  2. jamesibbs

jamesibbs Member

would be nice but is anyone at dovetail listening?

3. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I think when you get down to it, the way that a multiplayer would need to work would be hugely complicated if some people were driving trains and others doing the signalling etc. It would require everyone to be punctual and reliable to start and stay in the service for the full duration. And actually, there probably isn't that much interaction between drivers even on the same route so would it even be worth it for a little bit of chat here and there?

4. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Probably, but I must say I still like the idea, having other players drive the trains around usually done by the AI. Even if signalling was still automatic that might make for some interesting gameplay. And of course lots of frustration if you have an idiot who can't drive in the block ahead of you. Or a troll who uncoubles the last two out of 30 cars of your container train. Or keeps annoying you with the guard buzzer. And the handbrakes onothe same last two cars.

5. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

If there is a way that a completely working multiplayer server could be made, it would cost Dovetail a lot of time and money. That is what they think. On the other hand, if they manage to do this, it will be a good selling point for the game and more people will buy it. I think that this is a great idea, however it seems like Dovetail doesn't really care about suggestions and ideas since almost none of them are fulfilled.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chrisbaker1981

chrisbaker1981 Member

I think the signals would have to be automated, everyone will be drivers, and if someone is trolling you get kicked and your train disappears to clear the way. I think there would have to be normal real life rules, you break any one of them and you and your train are instantly kicked out of the game. And the chatting could be simulated to sound like you using the trains radio communications.

• Like Like x 2
  7. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Completely unviable I'm afraid. How are you supposed to learn if you get kicked instantly? Also, making games difficult is all fair and good, but making them punishing instead of encouraging to try again and do better is always a terrible idea. Besides, real train driversddon't get removed from the cab for every slight mistake. For kicking trolls, a system like that in GTA Online would be the best choice coming to my mind ad hoc: 50% of players in the session kick you and you're out. Don't forget we're not talking about real trained train drivers. Also, instant kick for trolling, that would require an automated troll detection system to begin with.

I don't want to sound rude, but that suggestion is just terrible in pretty much every aspect.

8. chrisbaker1981

chrisbaker1981 Member

Yea you probably right...... What about a cabin kitty cat like jess from postman pat? That would be pretty cool?