Ts20: Hi-line On The High Plains!

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Nov 19, 2019.

1. TrainSim-James

TrainSim-James Staff Member

[​IMG]

Written by: Gary Dolzall.

The eastern portion of BNSF’s famed Hi-Line Subdivision crosses the magnificent high plains of Montana – and the remarkable route is soon coming to Train Simulator!

READ MORE

• Like Like x 11
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Looks great my only concern will this be available to everyone

• Like Like x 1
  3. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

The article does say yes (near the end) but will be unbranded outside the US.

• Like Like x 3
  4. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd love this route. I still think it should have included a BNSF ES44C4 or ET44C4 and GP60(M/B). Maybe these or an SD70MAC, SD75M/I, or SD70ACe could be added in the future as DLC. I'd love a BNSF 3GS21B (or maybe a six-axle 3GS21C) Genset Switcher.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Michael Newbury

I took a second read through the article and found the note saying that it will be available worldwide. Which makes me happy unbranded or not as long as it available to everyone I am happy. I know there some out there would prefer everything would be branded.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

My question is that if anyone outside U.S. will get all the rolling stock without BNSF logo? More likely will happen unless I am wrong about this.

John

• Like Like x 2
  7. treid09

treid09 Guest

I almost fell out of chair when I read this. *Tears of joy*

• Like Like x 2
  8. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

I see the article and only in U.S. get all the BNSF logo rolling stock and for us outside U.S. get blank just like Raton Pass. Stink!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Not too happy to buy it unbranded. I still own a lot of BNSF rolling stock from better times and probably it will be possible to get some branded stuff as liveries, but yes it is very sad that BNSF does not allow to use its brand outside the US.

• Like Like x 1
  10. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

ya but i think they provide logo patch ether on site or in the route file or email or maybe on RWA site.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

I can't wait! Hopefully, other locomotives will be made with scenarios for this route!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Michael Newbury

From the way the note in the article reads yes we should get everything it will just be unbranded to those outside the US.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Wish this route was in TSW A perfect route to drive long freight trains in.
    Tsw is so more realistic train driving than TS

• Like Like x 4
  14. Brickrail782

Brickrail782 Active Member

The third-party community will probably take care of branding outside the U.S.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

The US Loco And Asset Pack's BNSF locos are fully branded. Just saying.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I can assure you, it isn't. It's barely even a simulator.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Random Railfan

I do like that this connects to Marias Pass, and it looks really cool, but why do we keep getting freight routes in the US? Dovetail appears to be using the US for its freight routes and not much else. I do know that this route hosts Amtrak too, but that's only two trains a day if I'm not mistaken. How about some more commuter or passenger stuff? I know lots of people have wanted MARC and MBTA (me included) for ages! Maybe there's some licensing thing going on with these railroads but if there isn't why aren't they in the game yet? Both could use some old assets too. If we got the MARC Penn Line, the MPXpress and HHP-8, Amtrak's ACS-64 and Acela, and the Amfleets and Bombardier Multilevels could all be reused with a few modeling changes and reskins. MBTA is the same way. If we got the Providence-Stoughton Line the ACS-64, Acela, F40PH, and Amfleets could be reused. Sorry to go on a bit of a rant, but I just think the US deserves some more variety lately. Let's just hope this route will be of better quality than Granger Heartland *ahem* reused Philadelphia skyline *ahem.*

• Like Like x 1
  18. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

True, we could use more US passenger routes, but the way I see it, at least this is high speed freight and not another 25-30 mph tedious mountain pass. I like how DTG is finally getting off that kick for mountain passes. The US is home to all different kinds of landscapes and only including the mountainous regions doesn't do our rail system justice at all. This is definitely going to be on my list of routes to get (eventually) since I already have Marias Pass and I'd love to do a run all the way between Whitefish and Harve.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I don’t use Train Simulator much anymore, but I will pick this route up. I like having more areas for the Empire Builder.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Random Railfan

Ok, so since there are some users that (primarily) play TSW on this forum, I'd like to ask a favor of them. would you mind giving me some examples of why TSW is better since some of you downvoted my post? Just curious as to why. I just can't find any reason for why it's better, so it'd be nice to get some reasons from people that are more versed in TSW than I am.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Anthony Pecoraro

More detail on the trains, more accurate physics and sounds, dispatcher, timetable mode.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Random Railfan

The detail part is accurate for the most part, but the physics are a mess and the sounds can be choppy sometimes. The sounds argument does makes sense in some situations though. The content of lower quality on TS20 will naturally have worse sounds. However, some trains have better sounds on TS20 than TSW. The way the sound works also tends to be less buggy/janky in TS20 because in TSW the game can't decide if it wants to play the interior or exterior sounds sometimes. Moving on to the dispatcher, that's already in TS20. It may be slightly simpler but it is easier to use because all you do is press tab instead of dealing with that annoying pop up menu that TSW has. Timetable mode is just like career or standard scenarios that have set times for objectives, so that's already something that TS20 has.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Anthony Pecoraro

Not really.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Random Railfan

Not really what? What are you referring to exactly?

• Like Like x 3
  25. Anthony Pecoraro

The timetable mode.

• Like Like x 1
  26. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Don’t forget the fact you can ride the passenger trains, drive AI, and mess with the controls (not in a clumsy way) way better than TS20. It even can support 4K!

• Like Like x 1
  27. MetrolinkF125#916

Overall, DTG, you have announced an amazing route to be featured in TS20, finally a BNSF one! However, you should think about adding locomotives such as the ET44C4, GP50/GP25 rebuilt, SD70ACE, C44-9W, and the 3GS21B yard switcher, which would all make a better route!

• Like Like x 3
  28. 0235

0235 New Member

AH! So it IS possible to release different versions of content to different parts of the world.

I would massively appreciate it if DTG would go and modify other BNSF infestedf content, like the GP9 pack, Stevens pass, Marias pass etc. Far too many custom routes require content from these routes,and most of the time no-one uses the BNSF. This is Train simulator, not "accurate railway branding" simulator. most of us don't care that it is BNSF, and would settle for blank tan trains!

• Like Like x 2
  29. Random Railfan

Admittedly, driving AI services is fun, but is it really fun to ride as a passenger? I don't think it's too necessary. As for messing with the controls, isn't that very much possible in TS20?

• Like Like x 1
  30. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

This isn't from DTG. It's from VNH and G-Trax.

• Like Like x 3
  31. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

In general, TSW is a much better made game with a lot more quality control and runs so much better. It looks better, sounds better and overall I think it's more fun and realistic.
    Not really. The physics are no more of a mess than the Class 450 or the 166 or the 455/8. I'm pretty sure you just miss the cab sway, which is technically in the game, you just can't see it. I expect it to be added in a year or two.
    I have never experienced this.
    I'm struggling to think of any times RW's sounds were better. There's been times when TSW's sounds have been disappointing, but never worse than RailWorks.
    I have never experienced this either.
    TSW's dispatcher is miles ahead of RW's. It is ridiculously better and can allow for things that RW wouldn't even think of attempting (not helped by RailWorks's dispatcher not understanding what waypoints mean...).
    This is something only somebody who doesn't play enough TSW would say. Service mode is a lot more than just career scenarios, it's an open-world train simulator.
    I do it sometimes. It's relaxing. Not fun, but relaxing, and that's not a bad thing.

• Like Like x 2
  32. John Murphy

Personally I have both and play both, but right now I tend to play TS more, mainly just because I have more content for it. I think TSW has the potential to FAR surpass TS and become a much better sim, but DTG isn't taking advantage of that potential, instead choosing to make TSW more of an "arcadey" sim (*cough* mastery *cough*) to appeal to the console market. If TSW was PC exclusive and DTG made it to be more of a sim instead of a game, it would truly live up to its given title as the next generation of TS. I'm not saying it should be PC exclusive, but if it were, that's how it might be.

• Like Like x 3
  33. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Tsw is far superior to the Ts2020 In the feeling of driving a real train. When you brake a long freight train you get the delay in the brake and when you remove the brake again the delay becomes very clear.
    And you can feel the the front of the train starts to release the brakes before the rear does.
    In Ts the whole train to brake instantly and an it release the brakes in whole train with delay but all carriages do the same
    The trains feel heavy in Tsw. In Ts in many times they just made the friction great so the trains don't even roll down the slopes.
    (but you can get around this in Ts with having 2 wagons one empty and one full). But the wagon you load yourself (select able n editor) there really does not work.
    But not to say that everything is perfect in Tsw. I'm pretty sure air resistance is not part of Tsw. and locomotives wheel slip is not perfect and much else can be done better but it is much better than ts

• Like Like x 2
  34. Random Railfan

TS20 is the same way.

• Like Like x 1
  35. Random Railfan

We may not agree, but I commend you for providing actual valid points. Of course, we have different experiences with each game. We probably own different routes and trains in both games so our comparisons of quality don't exactly line up.

• Like Like x 2
  36. Random Railfan

For now on I'm gonna stop debating about TSW on this thread. I apologize for starting the whole thing and I'm hoping that we can stop this insanity.

• Like Like x 1
  37. MetrolinkF125#916

Oh, ok! Pardon me!

38. Random Railfan

Wait VNH and G-Trax made this? if it is, I'm definitely gonna buy it when I get some more money.

• Like Like x 1
  39. MetrolinkF125#916

Finally DTG jumps out the UP train and announces a 100% BNSF Railway route that is not a loco DLC for us BNSF fans!! Thank you!

40. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

Looks great! We shall soon find out what the approximately 100-105 miles of track between Shelby and Havre looks like!

• Like Like x 2
  41. MetrolinkF125#916

Well, if you own the Marias Pass Route, you should probably have an idea of how it looks like since I believe DTG stated that the route crosses through Marias Pass.

42. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Because many of us prefer US freight and have no interest in commuter lines.

I do think DTG does a decent job of making variety for everyone although it seems to me that TSW is dominated by passenger trains.

• Like Like x 2
  43. treid09

treid09 Guest

This part of the Hi-line sub does not cross through Marias Pass, it is an extension of the line east of Shelby to Havre, which is a division point yard. The entire line that includes Marias and this one is collectively known as the Hi-line sub.

• Like Like x 1
  44. treid09

treid09 Guest

Same here Random, but I gotta get Wasatch first.

45. John Murphy

True. We do need another US freight route in TSW (and something like this, NOT ANOTHER MOUNTAIN PASS DTG). I personally prefer passenger over freight, but then again, I live in the northeast where we have the NEC and a lot of different commuter railroads such as Marc, Septa, NJT, and MTA's LIRR and Metro North systems. I can see why most people from the US like freight though, because it's what the majority of the US rail system operates. A lot of major US cities just started to adopt the idea of commuter rail in the last 20 years or so and only have like 1 passenger line. Only the really huge cities or places like the northeast have the big complex systems that have been around for over a century. But freight is everywhere in the US and for a lot of people, it's the only type of train they ever see, except for maybe a once or twice daily Amtrak service.

• Like Like x 2
  46. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

By the way I would like to know when is this route release through Steam and I know we have to purchase this first before downloading through Steam. I was expecting by yesterday but still not yet. Hopefully early next week.

John

• Like Like x 1
  47. Average_Joe57

Average_Joe57 Active Member

It should come out on Thanksgiving in time for Steam's Black Friday sale or the week after that.

• Like Like x 1
  48. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Ten days so far and nothing yet to release this new route. I was expecting to see this new route released sometime yesterday or today. Look like to me that we will have to wait for this sometime next week. Anyway have a good weekend!

John

• Like Like x 1
  49. Michael Newbury

It's beginning to look like this might not release until before Christmas or a little sooner who knows. Looking forward to it when it releases.

• Like Like x 1
  50. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

Over at another forum, Railworks America someone mentioned that the route is in beta testing and estimate to be around Christmas.

John

• Like Like x 3