Db 155 Tap Changer Fault - Bug !?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jack O'Track, Nov 24, 2019.

1. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

Keep getting 'Tap changer fault' pulling coal wagons with a DB 155 (?) e loc. Now what in places am i doing wrong ???

I checked and rechecked DB 155 matters, and i think it's a bug, to do with the coal wagons maybe. the train never speeds up properly, due tap faults - emergency braking.

tap changer fault.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  2. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi Jack O'Track,

The tap changer fault usually occurs when you have either, the electric brake applied whilst also applying throttle (or didn't wait for the tap to run down) or you notch up too high (over 450 amps) causing an over-current fault. The key is to be gentle with the throttle and be mindful of how much amps you're putting down.

A good rule of thumb is to never exceed 40 kN of force - this should easily keep you under the 450 Amp threshold.

Hope this helps.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Jack O'Track

For now i got a little fed up with this as i tried many settings, and all brakes at zero .... If you look at the DB 155 like locs in TWS there are various settings for braking, air, vacuum, freight, passenger. I began to thing that it must have to do with pulling heavy freight maybe.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It works for everyone else but because you don't understand how to drive it the loco must be broken?
    You need time to learn how to drive it - it does not work like modern locos.
    If you exceed 450 amps you get a fault
    If you see a yellow light, shut off and apply the brakes Before the Tap changer has reached 0 you get a fault

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jack O'Track

Well, i'll give it another shot someday ... IMO one could make these games, especially some locs, too complicated. Railway fans might like that, but it's a game nevertheless. Before i ever started with train sim games, i did not even realize a diesel loc was just a big generator on wheels.

BTW 450 amps, what voltage range goes with that on the wires? some 1.500 V AC?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  6. Betjoin

Betjoin Well-Known Member

There are 15.000 Volts AC in the Cartenary. The Locomotive Limits the Amps by itself. The Overhead-Wire can deliver up to 1500 Amps i think

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jack O'Track

I just saw this BR 155 is also for sale on TSW 2020; wonder if it's as complicated there as well, for a rookie ... guess i'll wait for a nice steam loc for some nice free roaming over all them TSW lines.

8. Betjoin

Betjoin Well-Known Member

Not DC, its AC. My Bad

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not all of them are. Most are Diesel Electric where the Diesel Engine generates Electricity to Traction Motors.
    The next type is Diesel Hydraulic there the transmission goes thru Hydraulic converters and gearboxes to the locos axels
    The German BR 218, the UK Class 14, 35, 42 and 52 are Hydraulics - there are more but these feature in the game
    Finally Diesel Mechanical which tend to be small shunting locos like the UK Class 03 and 07.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  10. pantherz

pantherz Active Member

Only had that problem on 1 scenario but all other scenario ran normaly.
    You just need to learn how it works

11. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Almost true, it's a simulator, so you should have all sorts of traction ranging from easy (class 465 etc) through to very difficult (tap charger as an example)
    To be honest once you get used to the differences they're actually really good drives, especially because with the minute control you get you have a built in cruise control at any speed you like rather than only 4 or so power settings.
    Easily the best drives I have had have been in tap charger locos in the north of england, you just have to be mindful when pulling from a standing start (or slow speed hills) that the amp meters should only be in the green or very low yellow for short period else you'll burn out the electrics

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jack O'Track

Lucky us computers can't smell these days .... the wife just burnt a pan of rice when the water had evaporated. A burnt e-loc should easily smell a lot worse.