PC In Case You Not Seen..any Loco Any Route..

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jetgriff, Nov 29, 2019.

1. jetgriff

jetgriff Well-Known Member

from trainsim cz
    Although nothing seems to be happening on my part, the opposite is true. I work on modifications and soon I could introduce my new mode - all trains on all lines (still tuning the electricity and units 166, 101, 422, HST and Talent2). After the locomotives I will focus on wagons. Then there will be no problem playing interesting formations and you will not have to wait for another loose formation. Under the article is incidentally a video that shows everything in action on the West Somerset track. Of course, electric locomotives do not work on the track, but the track does not prevent the locomotive from being loaded onto the track. Well and if I wait a while so the electric locomotive would go, because AI it does not matter whether the track is electrified or not. I will issue the modifications gradually for each track.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

Excellent! This is a bit of a game changer! It also then begs the question of why DTG hadn't made this feature available to us previously as it clearly can't be that difficult for them to implement. Of course this makes DTG look even more silly when they are trying to sell us the GWE Class 66 twice.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

DTG wants to keep it realistic by keeping the trains on the routes that they are supposed to be on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jetgriff

Agreed but like TS it's up to the driver what you drive.
    Personally I try just to use what is available on the route where it may have run... i.e no 52, GWR HST or 166 etc on TPR or TTR.
    But if they can cater for all tastes it means more money in DTG coffers to produce more and more choice.....
    I think the video showing German and USA loco's on Somerest was just to show what could be done.
    Must say I really enjoying the TPR, I can now drive without the speed warnings .

• Like Like x 2
  5. Digital Draftsman

Poor excuse. What's so unrealistic about the Class 31 hauling vans on NTP or Western Champion and the Class 33 hauling Mk1 coaches on a railtour on GWE?

Regardless, people should be able to play the game as they please.

• Like Like x 10
  6. jetgriff

:love::);):cool::D All said and done.. "It's a Game" that's why you get medals, points, accolades for "Maxing out" Loco's etc, finding newspaper stands, posters... plus it is done by DT GAMES.
    There if you want it, leave it out if you don't.
    And a good time can be had by all...:cool::cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. TrainSim-Dmitri

TrainSim-Dmitri Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between changing a few lines of code and creating a fully-fledged UI that allows every user to comfortably mix and match locomotives from different DLC, across all platforms.

Class 66 has had quite a bit of work done on it for East Coastway, it's been upgraded so it's not the same as in GWE.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Does it have an engine now? :D
    20191129121714_1.jpg

But good to hear it has been overhauled. Will this affect the GWE version as well? If yes, also if you don't own ECW?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Is the upgraded Class 66 going to be available on the Great Western Express?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Digital Draftsman

Care to elaborate? If the team has gone to the effort to upgrade it in some way, why is there no mention of this? Not mentioning it gives the impression it's the same as GWE and this could be the difference between someone making a purchase and not. Also will the upgrade be done to the Class 66 on GWE?

• Like Like x 2
  11. TrainSim-Dmitri

From what I know, GWE version received an update as well, although not as big as the ECW version. I do not have any details on the specifics, unfortunately.

For full details please wait for the update notes to be released, this should occur closer to the release of the DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TrainSim-Dmitri

The product is still in development, we usually just outline the basics of the upcoming DLC in the announcement, full details will be revealed closer to the release.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Digital Draftsman

So it's not a decision based on a business model which intends to lock trains to specific routes and limit the user to Scenario/Journey/Service modes provided by DTG? It's purely because DTG doesn't have the capability and/or resources to implement a UI which allows it?

14. thearkerportian

Seeing how they've never been exceptionally great at designing menus, UI, etc, that wouldn't surprise me, actually.

From a $$ point of view, more usability of a particular loco would mean nore buyers. I'm looking at you, CL33/52...

• Like Like x 1
  15. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

You are describing it as something extremly complex/complicated (not sure why too, pretty sure most would be more than satisfied with the way OP got it to work) and never have I ever heard a dev talk about a UI in this way before... So why do you have such weird issues developing this game anyways? First the editor who has been announced 3 years ago, then the issue with the distant scenery (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/main-spessart-bahn-and-2d-trees.15105/) and now this? It seems like the TSW devs happen to run into some "exclusive" issues no other/very few dev teams had before. Why is this the case?

• Like Like x 2
  16. thearkerportian

Jetgriff uses the default TSW menu UI, looks to work just fine. Apart from lots of scrolling to do of course, which is a price many would happily pay I suppose. At least I for my part never wished there were less locos available for German freighters.

17. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

In fairness (and this is a very reluctant "in fairness") I could see that doing this UI well could be a nightmare:
    • You'll want to make a clear distinction between the "official, this is what should run on the route" services and the substituted ones.
    • You'll eventually need some sort of filtering system to help find things easier - the quick-drive menu on the original TS really is painfully slow with a medium amount of content.
    • You probably want to make sure locos are compatible with the route.
      • At very least that includes "correct electric supply" - possibly down to overhead-line-voltage (since some have switches for that). You might want to make some of that optionally overrideable (so you can drive something with the wrong voltage if you really want).
      • It might include safety/signalling systems - certainly on TS1 things with PZB tended to live in a constant stage of emergency stop on UK routes. For TSW when the safety systems are usually off by default this might not be so much of an issue.
      • Track gauge (in future) and loading gauge (now)?
    • Then you have to consider rolling stock - are you allowing that to be selected too? Using the consist from the original service just with the loco substituted? Matching the rolling stock with the loco? You have potential issues of:
      • Train length
      • Braking system compatibility, since this does appear to be modelled.
      • Coupling compatibility (including things like the HST which has multiple selectable couplings)
      • Are you going to try to warn if the consist is going to be too heavy for the engine?
    • Good interface for double-heading? Compatibility between multiple-heading locos?
    With all that said - I do think getting this sorted should have been much more of a priority. It'd probably have been worth it in West Somerset loco sales alone. I also think you could make a cutdown version (maybe to allow a restricted sensible range of substitutions like "any British diesel for any British diesel" and "any German electric for any German electric), without precluding improving it later.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  18. thearkerportian

That part is actually already reality for the most part. Only RRO's MRCE 185 needs its substitution for the other routes. Only passenger trains are left out of this so far.

One thing speaking against the whole unlimited interchangability I could see is medals. Rewards. Things like that. "Yeah well of course you arrived punctually in Saltburn, you raced down the route in an HST... with just one middle car! Bloody cheater!"

19. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Fantasy railroading -- what will you modders of invention dream up next?

• Like Like x 1
  20. jetgriff

A mate of mine passed on news from the Warley Model Rail show last week I quote what he said
    "I spoke to Peter Peddlesden at the Warley model rail show a week back and he said that DTG intend to release an update with more scenarios so you can run any UK loco on any UK Route. And the same with the German locos and routes."
    As more improvements come from TSW we can delete the 3rd party ones we added so presumably will make the game more stable, not that I get any problems at the moment. Pedigree better than mongrel. :D:D:D