PlayStation Size Matters!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Samo1, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Brighton to Eastbourne (23 miles plus 7 miles) simply seems too short and not value for money
    I’m not criticising because I have not seen the route yet but there are some facts that disappoint in my opinion, you can’t get your teeth into such short routes

• Like Like x 7
  2. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Well there is the saying "It's not the size that matters it's what you do with it". And I suppose it could be true for this route. If it's full of services with lots of movement to see and be involved with the distance might become irrelevant. However an extended route to Ore that was also full of services would of course seem even better.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

If you think about it it's not far off from GWE in terms of route length which is about 35 miles so if this route is 23 miles plus the 7 that's about 30 miles in total only 5 short from GWE

• Like Like x 2
  4. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I feel alot of people are going to feel the same. I love the TVL route whice is about 30 miles. The mix of shorter 30 minute and 1 hour passenger services means I can pick. This new route is about 40 minutes for a stopping service and just feels like the route should of gone to Hastings/Ore or atleast bexhill. Giving again that mix of short 30 minutes and 1 hour services. For me its not just the route length but the time taken to run a service.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KMAN

KMAN Well-Known Member

I dont feel thats a valid comparison as the service pattern does not have you travel the complete 30 mile route.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

This issue isn't really what's included, but what's included for the price.

I don't understand how DTG can charge £24.99 for:
    NTP - 2 Locomotives, 1 DMU, 2 coaches, 46 route miles and 17 stations.

and then charge the £24.99 for:
    ECW - 1 Locomotive, 1 EMU, 1 wagon, 30 route miles, 11 stations.

So with NTP you get an extra locomotive, an extra item of rolling stock, 16 extra route miles and 6 extra stations, all for the same price as ECW. Would DTG care to elaborate and explain what about ECW justifies it being the same price as NTP despite having less content?

• Like Like x 6
  7. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Have they released a price yet? Though I expect your guess is right.

But anyway what you say is true. When you look at direct comparisons, such as you point out, their fixed one price for all (route/loco) structure does sometimes shoot themselves in the foot. Perhaps a little variation might not go amiss. Even if it's only a few pounds.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Yes it’s shown on steam as £24.99 minus a 10% discount for preorder. It will almost certainly be £24.99 on consoles. In my opinion it should be priced at £19.99, the way WSR was. Even though WSR was only 20 miles you got (at the time) two brand new engines and a full set of coaches never before seen in TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  9. bart2day

It’s not likely to have lots of movement. According to the steam page it has ‘over two-hundred services to choose from’. That’s only two dozen or so more than LIRR which feels dead most of the time in timetable mode. You can do a whole service on that route and not pass a single other train.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

We really need an extension to the Paddington/Reading line for example so there is a proper feeling of involvement, all PS4 routes feel like short term fixes and lack the guts to fully involve the player because the routes end too quickly, one long quality route would be better than a million short routes in my opinion

11. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I don't know that area at all, but what types of services could there be? All I can think of are 4, which is not much in terms of variety.
    - Brighton to Eastbourne semi-fast
    - Brighton to Eastbourne stopping
    - Brighton to Seaford stopping
    - Lewes to Newhaven freight

• Like Like x 2
  12. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Ah right. Ok DD was correct then.

Hmm, I suppose if there's AI movement to London, Worthing and Hastings on top of that it might seem more alive.

Cael
    With it being primarily a commuter route you are about right. There are those who do like type of operation though, like LIRR, but I myself prefer a bit more heavy haulage. Saying that there isn't so much freight traffic about in the UK at the moment. Rail is very underutilized compared to road haulage.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  13. bart2day

Yes, that is about right. According to the article on the route last week ‘A total of 6 trains per hour operate between Brighton and Lewes, 2 of which terminate there, another 2 head to Seaford, and the final 2 make their way to Eastbourne, making for a very diverse timetable to delve into!’.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Ah, I didn't remember that. This would make the Brighton to Lewes quite lively, especially the Lewes station which should also see some freight movement.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Some Lewes-Eastbourne and Lewes-Seaford services (that in reality would have come from Heathfield/London) would have been nice too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

We seem to have branched off on to a different track
    Is 23 miles plus 7 value for money?
    Are these routes simply too short?

• Like Like x 1
  17. bart2day

In my opinion no, it is not value for money. At £19.99, possibly yes. I don’t mind a shorter route per se, but the price should reflect it.

For me though, especially with this route, the price is secondary to what appears a bonkers decision made by DTG with regard to creating as fun and engaging route as possible. As posters in another thread have already stated, the section from Eastbourne to Hasting wouldn’t have just added an extra 15 miles of track, it would have given so much more operating potential, traction variety and picturesque scenery. If they had charged £29.99 or even £34.99 in my opinion that would be preferable to this.

Plus DTG have shown they can viably make routes up to 45-50 miles and still release three or four a year. NTP was 43 miles and the recent Penn corridor was almost 50 miles. Until the most recent German route I was expecting the routes to get gradually longer as DTG got more experienced with UE4, not shorter.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

RRO is short as well, but a great route. Travel time is more indicative than raw length.
    However, from the information available this is going to be much less value for your money than other routes. I would suggest waiting for more information to be released and also visiting the Twitch live stream that should be on the 11th before making a purchase decision.

• Like Like x 1
  19. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

I'm getting more and more convinced they start building at one end and then just "see how far we'll get by release date".

• Like Like x 1
  20. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

It's the same here in Germany. Rail freight is 17 % of freight transport here only. USA, China, Russia, Austria and Switzerland are much better in rail freight.

• Like Like x 1