Freight On Wsr

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Dave Mel, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

Can we have Freight trains to run on WSR because they do run them. i could produce 2 vids with freight trains by Admiral Scorner who takes lots of vids and puts them on youtube. Plus whilst you think about it could you make a Deltic to run on WSR and NTP because they did run on these routes. Thanks

• Like Like x 3
  2. EchoKilo

EchoKilo Member

Good suggestion. I like WSR, and having freight runs available would be a nice addition. If my memory serves me correctly, in TS20XX version of WSR we had some freight wagons.
    I would be surprised if Deltic doesn't make an appearance in one form or another at some point, perhaps packed together with a dedicated route. The current routes would be bit short/slow to allow it to stretch its legs properly.

3. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

They were used for a time on the Leeds to Manchester line just before their withdrawal, although this is slightly before the date the route is set in 1983.

I agree some freight services for the WSR would be good and maybe a couple more versions of the mark 1 carriages too.

4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

According to the route's manual, "The Beeching report of 1963 recommended the line for closure, and freight was soon withdrawn." Elsewhere, the Manual identifies RSW as depicting a heritage railway: "Whether you’re driving, riding along or watching the show, experience all the sights and sounds of heritage railways at their best." If this fiction remains the route's fictional compass for DTG, freight activities would seem to be inappropriate. Nevertheless, I, too, would warmly welcome the addition of freight rolling stock and activities, especially shunting. But does the route as we have it include any freight-related infrastructure? I haven't looked at RSW for quite a while and have no intention of doing so, unless freight would become a part of it.

5. doc_woods

doc_woods Active Member

I don't think it's completely inappropriate - I know it's been used to deliver sea wall reinforcement freight at least once during it's heritage lifetime. And I can find a fairly recent video of demonstration freight trains at a gala.

(I know the rest of your post says you'd welcome some freight, so please don't think I've misinterpreted it and just nitpicked one bit)

6. Dave Mel

They do run freight on WSR i know as i am a frequent visitor To WSR

• Like Like x 1
  7. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

Yeah, I did a driver experience a couple of months ago in D6566, and it was a small freight consist. Actually, given the limited amount of services on the route, it would be good to put the experience train into the schedule. Shedule would go:

Williton - Minehead (stopping at Washford and Blue Anchor) loco and brake van only
    Pick up feight from siding then run around freight
    Minehead - Lydeard (stopping at Blue Anchor, Washford, Williton, Crowcombe)
    Run around freight
    Lydeard -Minehead (stopping at Crowcombe, Williton, Washford)
    Return freight to siding/run around brake van
    Minehead - Williton (stopping at Blue Anchor) loco and brake van only

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dave Mel

i would also like to see the class 150 shuttle service now added as well. ok it runs from BL to taunton a 15 mins run non stop. but why not run it from BL to norton fitz as they dont have to extend the map