Ts 2018 Updating Off On Startup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jack O'Track, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

Starting Railworks from my old TS 2018 folder it always starts updating my data base. I don't want that, it screws up my modded files and experiments. Just want run the 'original' installation without this. Now is there a way to switch this PERMANENTLY off on startup?

PS i have a Steam setup already installed with 2020 recently bought and upgraded from my 2016's DVD.

2. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Steam will automatically update all versions of Train Simulator to the current version.

3. Jack O'Track

I know, but i don't want them to meddle with my modded 32bit older version .. so how get f***ng steam NOT to mess up my installation, as i have quite some 3rd party stuff installed & running .... it's the same with windows; every time i have problems its due windows update messing up a perfect working PC.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You must be doing something wrong with the way you are modding the files for use in the game.
    I have over 100 routes and more that a third are Freeware.
    And tons of Loco repaints for different engines and stock.
    They are there when I switch off TS2020 and there when I start the game again

Are you doing something with the *.ap file that delivers the game?
    If you decide to extract the content of the *.ap file you can do your repaints, mods etc and it won't overwrite anything
    BUT If you decide to Delete a *.ap file Steam WILL replace it and your mods.
    The way Steam knows you have what you have paid for is it Checks the *.ap file and replaces all those that are missing.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jack O'Track

Guess i have to check things out then. I just re-installed a working backup of my 2017 version. Runs fine, but disconnected internet first.

So should i unpack the *.ap at their location files for mod replacements or modding, and leave the original *.ap files also there?

PS The former installation i had RW enhancer installed at a certain point. Destroyed the graphics, only train and landscape silhouettes were seen, so i am not going to try it again.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  6. Wolf

Wolf Member

Where are those files, I run multiple instalaltions a german/Austrian/Swiss/Danish/French/Czech, a british one and a US one, and it never updates any of my files. I have to put any updates in manually and any dlcs.

Now do you mean it's updating the scenario database and the rolling stock database?

That's normal happens everytime and since TS 2019 it's faster. ;)

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Use 7z and just extract the contents to the same location as the *.ap file
    TS2020 reads files outside the *.ap file first - that is how repaints work
    Steam just checks you have the *.ap file and then ignores the extracted files - if it does not find the *.ap file it clears the folder to replace it.

My \railworks\Assets\DTG\Class68Pack01 folder as an example
    ap files.jpg

Inside the RailVehicles folder I have a number of repaints from the Armstrong Powerhouse Class 68 pack

Peter